How many KWh do you use in a day?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2021 2:23 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 7, 2009
36 posts

How many KWh do you use in a day?

I am working very hard to reduce the amount of KWh I use per day, and would like to start a survey to see what the average amount of KWh people are using in their homes. This survey will only work if you give the actual reading from your meter and the number of people in your house hold. I guess I would also need to know if your water is heated by electricity or Gas.

Thanks to all who participate

Padrea
685 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4235 posts
879 upvotes
Ottawa
About 22kWh/day. Family of Four, Ottawa Area, two storey home 2000 sq ft with 1000 sq ft bsmt, gas fired hot water and heating.
In my old house, we used about 16kWh/day. Family of Four, Ottawa Area, two storey townhouse 1500sq ft incl bsmt, gas fired hot water and heating.

If you want some info on reducing electricity use in your home, check out my blog in my signature. I used a Kill-A-Watt meter to audit the power consumption in my home, and I published the result.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
1800sqft detached home in brampton
Just me and my wife
Gas dryer, electric washer and stove
92 afue furnace, cac is energy star rated but I don't know the exact seer rating
6kwh/day according to my last hydro bill
(We air dry our clothes during the warm months)
Apr 26, 2004
546 posts
71 upvotes
Cambridge
We use around 7.5 kWh/day
-family of 4
-1700 sq.ft home
-don't use our A/C
-don't use a clothes dryer
-gas water heater
-there's rarely a time when nobody is at home (husband works from home most days, I'm currently not working)
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
sdm242 wrote: We use around 7.5 kWh/day
-family of 4
-1700 sq.ft home
-don't use our A/C
-don't use a clothes dryer
-gas water heater
-there's rarely a time when nobody is at home (husband works from home most days, I'm currently not working)

That is very impressive!
Apr 26, 2004
546 posts
71 upvotes
Cambridge
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: That is very impressive!

Thanks! We try our best to reduce our energy use.

I should note though that those numbers were for the past few months. Just had a look at the rest of our bills and our use does go up in the winter months (furnace blower and lights). I think it's closer to 10 kW/h in the winter.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6826 posts
7572 upvotes
Toronto
My last month of usage... Single person in a condo apartment with electric appliances and in-unit AC. I run two computers 24/7.

[IMG]http://hoob.smugmug.com/Random-Stuff/St ... teA-X1.png[/IMG]

Edit: here's the weather charts for my location for the same time period, for comparison.

[IMG]http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/wxS ... showtemp=1[/IMG]
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Sep 7, 2001
423 posts
2 upvotes
Last year 24 kwh/day, should be lower this year. Last month 18 kwh/day.
3.5 people (3 plus one who does all washing/drying here), 1100 square feet +900 basement, electric water heater (culprit), oil furnace, electric washer and dryer.

Holy smoly, SDM242 and nemesis, good job! 7kwh/d! Thought i was doing pretty good getting it down from 53 to below 25, hoping to get it down to 18... now i feel like a pig.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1582 upvotes
Dont know, dont care. We are careful with our power as it is, equipment on power bars, fans on timers, cfl bulbs, laundry and dishwasher always full loads, etc, etc

Family of 5, we use what we use. Im not going to sit in the dark to save a few pennies

As you get older, you care less about this sort of stuff :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5529 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
Spidey wrote: Family of 5, we use what we use. Im not going to sit in the dark to save a few pennies
Lol, I agree with you there.. but you must look at your power bill when you get it?

Family of 5 here in 1800sq ft.. I think we average 30kwh/day, electric stove, dryer but gas heating.

I can't be bothered with turning powerbars off.. my pvr has to run, computer is 24/7 and for other stuff if I did turn off the power bar, all my settings would be lost each time.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1582 upvotes
Wiseman wrote: Lol, I agree with you there.. but you must look at your power bill when you get it?

Family of 5 here in 1800sq ft.. I think we average 30kwh/day, electric stove, dryer but gas heating.

I can't be bothered with turning powerbars off.. my pvr has to run, computer is 24/7 and for other stuff if I did turn off the power bar, all my settings would be lost each time.

Im on equalized payments throughout the year. I look at my bill just to see what it is compared to the month before and that everything is in line. I guess I could post it here, but have no idea what it would be unless I look

Other that that, just do what we do. The powerbars seems to help alot since we started this spring. My one APC powerbar has an always on plug on it. Thats what the PVR is plugged into, so everything else is 100% off, but it still has power to record.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31267 posts
17274 upvotes
My peak is around 100kWh/day.
I think I'm down to about 80kWh/day though.

I can only account for about 3/4 of that. I swear someone is stealing power.

What? I have a lot of servers. Collectively they draw about 1500W total. Plus about another 1000W for the actual household
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9340 posts
2198 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Average of 7.9kwh/day (ranging from about 6-11 kwh/day depending on the time of year).

1600sqft house, family of 4, gas heat and water heater otherwise electric appliances.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2008
3972 posts
677 upvotes
I probably don't use any more than the average person. I got a LCD this year, which is significantly better than the old TVs. I wouldn't be as concerned with consumer/home power consumption as commercial/work power consumption. I can't imagine how much power our work uses.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6826 posts
7572 upvotes
Toronto
Usage for the last 30 days since I last posted. You can tell which day is Laundry Day, that's for sure!

[IMG]http://hoob.smugmug.com/Random-Stuff/St ... YNSC-M.png[/IMG]

Also gathering usage stats for the draw in my condo. Power rating is in Watts, Inuse/Idle. I will update this table as I benchmark more and more devices:

Home Entertainment Centre:
Subwoofer: 16/1
46" LCD TV: 75/1
Onkyo Receiver: 105/1
Rogers HD PVR: 23/23
GigE Switch: 3/3
HTPC/Server: 33/33
Streaming Media Player: 4/2
SmartUPS 1400W: 16/16
Thinkpad X200s Laptop: 25/14

Total Entertainment Center: 300/94
Actual idle usage per Kill-a-Watt: 81W (around 60kWh/month net)

Kitchen:
ES Fridge (circa 2004): 110/0 (rare peaks at 430W... ???) --> 30 kWh/month (per KAW)
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2006
4170 posts
181 upvotes
North York
Is not using A/C really worth the sacrifice for a few bucks savings? I don't know how people can have open windows on days when its 30 and 70%+. I admit, in the car I try to not use the AC but at home it is a must.
If you drive dangerously I hope you get caught and lose your license/car/dignity! :twisted: :twisted:
Feb 22, 2009
2 posts
1 upvote
Calgary
2100 sq foot two story split house in Calgary, gas heater/furnace, front load washer/dryer. All electric appliances. Winter: 21 kwh/day; Summer: 15 kwh/day.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
Just got my bill for the month of October: 167kwh for a total of $33.37! I think my next bill will be lower since I will have some timers installed

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)