Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14775 posts
4149 upvotes
eldeejay wrote:
May 6th, 2016 1:28 pm
I just got a 6kWh system with a 10kW battery backap on net metering.
Supposedly this worth 50k including labor. Whatever.

Components: panels, inverter, battery, control panel, sub-panel for 5 circuits that can run from the battery, bi-directional meter installed by utility.
Figure out how to get all this done on your own and you can probably save some money.
My inverter is Tabuchi, battery is Panasonic, panels are Canadian Solar (made in China duh).
There's about 5 days of labor for several people so it's obviously not a bolt in deal that someone could do on a weekend. There were engineers and electricians crawling around for a week.
There was engineering done on the roof. Most roofs built since the 50s will probably be fine. If house was newer and drawings were available they were willing to go from there rather than do new drawings made from crawling around the attic measuring trusses like was done in my home.
Anyway, I didn't pay for anything so I'm cost indifferent but I'm saving about 50% on my bills currently.
That's not enough to justify 50k. Maybe 20k.
Interesting, it sounds like you signed up with one of those companies that put panels on your roof and share some of the profit with you. I'm surprised they would offer you 10kW of batteries though.
What did you come here for?
I came here to complain
I'm sorry thats next door, its being hit on the head lessons in here...
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1912 posts
570 upvotes
Mississauga
Quentin5 wrote:
May 7th, 2016 6:56 pm
Interesting, it sounds like you signed up with one of those companies that put panels on your roof and share some of the profit with you. I'm surprised they would offer you 10kW of batteries though.
He's using this setup. There was a thread in the main Home and Garden section
http://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/ ... t-project/
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2963 posts
425 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Quentin5 wrote:
May 8th, 2016 9:48 pm
Thats awesome, i wonder what type of batteries they are.
It's a Panasonic lithium ion. I haven't read past the cover of the manual yet and I'm not home now so you'll have to wait for more details because I'm not home right now and I don't have access to google where I am now. Bing isn't turning anything up.

Search home and garden do "Oshawa solar" and you'll find the thread
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
1860 posts
294 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Been trying to bring down usage but been having a hard time.

Use mostly LED Bulbs now for main fixtures.

What is likely killing us:
- 2 Fridges running and 1 beverage cooler
- Those default builder bathroom lights that have like 8 40-60W bulbs for each washroom

I do have a server running but that power usage is usually less than 30W when not in use and MAX of 80W under full load. No one is usually home from 8-3. And AC is only turned on at night if needed.

Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1912 posts
570 upvotes
Mississauga
Mr_Dogg wrote:
May 29th, 2016 6:11 pm
Been trying to bring down usage but been having a hard time.

Use mostly LED Bulbs now for main fixtures.

What is likely killing us:
- 2 Fridges running and 1 beverage cooler
- Those default builder bathroom lights that have like 8 40-60W bulbs for each washroom

I do have a server running but that power usage is usually less than 30W when not in use and MAX of 80W under full load. No one is usually home from 8-3. And AC is only turned on at night if needed.

IMG]http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a46 ... cpozxn.png[/IMG]
How much lower do you want to get it? For consistent very low usage(5-8kWh), everyone in your house has to be on-board to consume less.

You have a few weekdays around 10-12kWh which I think is low consumption depending on the age and number of occupants. Your weekend usage is where it spikes. Do you have an electric stove, electric dryer? Is laundry done every weekend? Is weekend time spent with people occupied doing things that naturally consume more electricity...like On TV/computer. Opening the fridge a couple of times...cooking for the week etc. What I'm trying to say is it seems your 24/7 always-on appliances are pretty efficient...maybe examine the human behaviour part of the usage.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1418 posts
320 upvotes
New Tecumseth, ON
Averaging 6.19kWh/day. Gas water heater, everything else electric. 1500 sq ft house, living by myself.

According to Powerstream:

0.70% or 4
of the customers in your area used less than you

4.73% or 27
of the customers in your area used approximately the same as you

94.57% or 540
of the customers in your area used more than you
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2016
1451 posts
391 upvotes
351 average
JUST FOUND ANOTHER DEAL ON RFD [external link removed]
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14775 posts
4149 upvotes
Fjr2005 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2016 12:28 pm
351 average
I hope thats per month, otherwise a $1900 bill 12x a year would certainly dent the pocketbook
I came here to complain
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1912 posts
570 upvotes
Mississauga
For every month in 2016, I've somehow managed to reduce my monthly usage by 50-75kwh. Usage habits have not knowingly changed so I'm happy with the improvement and extra ~$100 in my pocket.Smiling Face With Open Mouth

One of the major appliances I upgraded was the A/C unit and i feel it contributes to the difference. In fact according to my nest report, my A/C (new SEER16 for this year) ran more hours in July 2016 compared to July in 2013 or 2015. My electric dryer which is long gone might be the other 1/3 of the puzzle.
Mar 20, 2006
260 posts
56 upvotes
Edmonton, Alberta
I am usually between 20 and 30 kwh. When I am running the AC, I can be up to 80 per day. I am family of 3 in a 2900sq ft detached.

I have gas furnace, gas water heater, and central air.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8113 posts
1389 upvotes
Montreal, QC
As per my efergy elite meter, 5.42 kwh/day, 2 person and I'm working from home, will go skyrocket soon as heating season is right around the corner.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
7848 posts
1403 upvotes
Ontario
I'm always amazed at the extremely low figures of some households. Crazy!

I was recently on vacation and I turned off everything that didn't need to run, the A/C didn't run at all during this time, I unplugged every electronic and small appliance and power bar. And yet, I was still averaging 4.5kwh/day - that's not far off from what people consume on average when home! :)

I work from home, and so does my wife 2-3 days/week. I'm around 30 kwh/day on average in the summer, and as low as 14 kwh/day in the non-summer months.

As impressed as I am with the power consumption of others, I really try to improve only on my own numbers while still maintaining a comfortable environment (in other words, I won't make a sacrifice to be uncomfortable when the bill would only be marginally less, I like a colder house than most, etc). That being said, I was consistently 40 kwh/day on average in the summer months the previous 3 summers, so I've cut that down to 30 kwh/day through some of my recent efforts. And overall, I'm consuming less electricity over non-summer months as well.
Last edited by onlineharvest on Oct 4th, 2016 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2963 posts
425 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
I use 10 to 20 per day depending how hot it is and how much baking we're doing. We have 17 SEER AC. Gas water and heating, plus an electric mini split for one room.
All our appliances are ANCIENT. Dryer used 3kw for a couple a few hours last night.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14775 posts
4149 upvotes
onlineharvest wrote:
Oct 4th, 2016 9:49 am
I'm always amazed at the extremely low figures of some households. Crazy!

I was recently on vacation and I turned off everything that didn't need to run, the A/C didn't run at all during this time, I unplugged every electronic and small appliance and power bar. And yet, I was still averaging 4.5kwh/day - that's not far off from what people consume on average when home! :)

I work from home, and so does my wife 2-3 days/week. I'm around 30 kwh/day on average in the summer, and as low as 14 kwh/day in the non-summer months.

As impressed as I am with the power consumption of others, I really try to improve only on my own numbers while still maintaining a comfortable environment (in other words, I won't make a sacrifice to be uncomfortable when the bill would only be marginally less, I like a colder house than most, etc). That being said, I was consistently 40 kwh/day on average in the summer months the previous 3 summers, so I've cut that down to 30 kwh/day through some of my recent efforts. And overall, I'm consuming less electricity over non-summer months as well.
4.5kW/day is odd, you should find out whats causing it, because you obviously didn't need it while you were gone, so depending on the source if you can cut it your quality of life will not decrease.
I came here to complain