• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2021 2:23 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 8, 2005
66 posts
2 upvotes
Newmarket
Wow, I have no idea what the hell I am doing wrong.
According to the Crooks at Hydro one we are averaging 44kWh a day.
Just got a $380 Hydro Bill. The previous month was over $600!

Funny thing is, ever since our new Hydro meter was installed my consumption went from 44 kWh down to 29 kWh
These hydro bills are going to sink us in Ontario
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11312 posts
5495 upvotes
Vaughan
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: Avg is 5kwh/day

WOW, I average about 9 for week days and 20 for weekend (laundry).
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4235 posts
879 upvotes
Ottawa
We've now dropped down to 18kWh a day now that my wife has gone back to work and the house is empty during the day. Here's my account of where our electricity is consumed, on a yearly basis:

Code: Select all

1430	20%	Dryer
1020	14%	Furnace Fan
900	13%	Inside Lights
640	9%	Dishwasher
536	7%	Range
500	7%	A/C
480	7%	Satellite TV
448	6%	Fridge
447	6%	Vampire Loads (including networking)
284	4%	Freezer
210	3%	Misc
180	3%	Computers (excluding networking)
117	2%	Outdoor Lights
7191	100%	Total

We're going to replace the furnace with one that has a more efficient motor.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
Hey how did you get those stats? I have a smart metre installed but the tou has not been implemented yet.

MacGyver wrote: We've now dropped down to 18kWh a day now that my wife has gone back to work and the house is empty during the day. Here's my account of where our electricity is consumed, on a yearly basis:

Code: Select all

1430	20%	Dryer
1020	14%	Furnace Fan
900	13%	Inside Lights
640	9%	Dishwasher
536	7%	Range
500	7%	A/C
480	7%	Satellite TV
448	6%	Fridge
447	6%	Vampire Loads (including networking)
284	4%	Freezer
210	3%	Misc
180	3%	Computers (excluding networking)
117	2%	Outdoor Lights
7191	100%	Total

We're going to replace the furnace with one that has a more efficient motor.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1109 posts
120 upvotes
Burlington
My baseline these days is 22 KWh/day. The last few days have been chilly, so the furnace fan has been running a bit more, with a couple of 24 & 25 KWh days.

Mind you, that's nothing compared to the nasty summer we just had. There were many 60+ KWh days... and two bad ones that touched 70! :eek: :cry:

Needless to say, I probably shouldn't be in the Green/Eco-Friendly subforum at all, right? ;) :lol:
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
CenturyBreak wrote: My baseline these days is 22 KWh/day. The last few days have been chilly, so the furnace fan has been running a bit more, with a couple of 24 & 25 KWh days.

Mind you, that's nothing compared to the nasty summer we just had. There were many 60+ KWh days... and two bad ones that touched 70! :eek: :cry:

Needless to say, I probably shouldn't be in the Green/Eco-Friendly subforum at all, right? ;) :lol:

I am not sure that is normal. I do not really conserve energy at home. Multiple TVs. Multiple PCs. Dish Washer.
I checked powerstream web site yesterday. Nov 1. 13.xx KW/h. Nov 2 14.xx KW/h.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Aug 16, 2007
944 posts
136 upvotes
Richmond Hill
wow - on my last bill i averaged 35.66 kWh/day, and i try to conserve as much as i can...

Dont' know how you guys use keep you numbers so low.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4235 posts
879 upvotes
Ottawa
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: Hey how did you get those stats? I have a smart metre installed but the tou has not been implemented yet.
It's called an energy balance. It's just estimates based on my Kill-A-Watt readings, EnerGuide ratings, simple hours-of-operation times wattage of the appliance.
Feb 14, 2006
621 posts
13 upvotes
2300 sqft house - Two Storey detached - Brampton

2 people in the house work during the day

Main floor pots lights with 50W bulbs i got about 30 potlights - try not to use them

all other light fixtures CFL bulbs
out side lights on from 7-11pm everyday but using cfl bulbs

Dryer used on weekends same with dish washer

Gas water heater and stove

Main power killer in the house is the 50" LG plasma

October bill 10kw/day

down from 19kw last month from september

Total with all fees just under $56 dollars
2 upvotes
Newmarket
Askari wrote: wow - on my last bill i averaged 35.66 kWh/day, and i try to conserve as much as i can...

Dont' know how you guys use keep you numbers so low.

I hear ya man. I am definitely doing something wrong. But I can tell you there was definitely something fishy with my old meter. I have no idea how I averaged 59kWh a day this summer.
But since I got my new meter I am down to 29 kWh and that is with me shutting down PC's when they aren't in use, Monitors, unplugging items when not in use etc.
I have bought timers now for my Home Theatre setup and will have it shut off during the night and during the weekdays when it is not in use. Hopefully that will help some.
I know I will never be in the teens but if I could just get into the low 20 I would be ecstatic. This summers bills were just ridiculous
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1109 posts
120 upvotes
Burlington
gman wrote: I am not sure that is normal. I do not really conserve energy at home. Multiple TVs. Multiple PCs. Dish Washer.
I checked powerstream web site yesterday. Nov 1. 13.xx KW/h. Nov 2 14.xx KW/h.
It's not great, but it's normal for this house! :o I have an older mid-efficiency furnace... my natural gas usage isn't an issue, but with an AC blower motor, the ~ 750 watts it uses sure eats up hydro when the furnace is running. :facepalm:
polishdaddy wrote: I hear ya man. I am definitely doing something wrong. But I can tell you there was definitely something fishy with my old meter. I have no idea how I averaged 59kWh a day this summer.
But since I got my new meter I am down to 29 kWh and that is with me shutting down PC's when they aren't in use, Monitors, unplugging items when not in use etc.
I have bought timers now for my Home Theatre setup and will have it shut off during the night and during the weekdays when it is not in use. Hopefully that will help some.
I know I will never be in the teens but if I could just get into the low 20 I would be ecstatic. This summers bills were just ridiculous
Yep, this past summer was killer (many days in the 60 KWh range) Being in the low 20s is refreshing. Mind you, there are days like today with the dryer running for a few hours... knocking it back up into the 30s. :lol:
Banned
Dec 5, 2010
85 posts
1 upvote
HK
sorry for I'v never calculate the Kwh that I use in a day. But the water is heated by Gas.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
12kwh per day on average. 2 year old 1200 sq. foot bungalow with a 1000 sq. foot unfinished basement. 1 person, 2 big dogs. I work at home a couple of days a week. High efficiency gas furnacy with HRV & humidifier. If I'm cold the heat goes up, if its sticky hot in the summer, the a/c goes on. I'm not going to sacrifice my comfort for a few dollars.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
12253 posts
858 upvotes
Family of 5 - 21.7 per day this month, which is pretty typical. Our highest month of the year so far was 33.4, our lowest was 17.5

We do our best at the basics, but don't stress about it too much. I have a couple of servers that are 24/7, nothing else atypical.
Dec 5, 2004
187 posts
5 upvotes
Windsor Ontario
So based on this information of usage and the upcoming increases for 2011/12 ,options such as this may give us an idea on what is more cost effective route to go ?

http://residential.directenergy.com/EN/ ... Plans.aspx

[QUOTE]How your green plan works

With the Green Electricity plan, every year of the plan, Direct Energy will purchase certified renewable energy credits ("RECs") on your behalf representing 9,000 kWh of consumption for our residential customers or 27,350 kWh of consumption for our commercial customers. You will continue to receive your electricity supply from Ontario's electricity grid but will be supporting renewable electricity generation. Being "Green" with Direct Energy means that the plan you are on helps you to off-set some of the greenhouse gas emissions associated with your consumption of electricity.[/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4235 posts
879 upvotes
Ottawa
Stay away from Direct Energy contracts. Read the contract: http://residential.directenergy.com/EN/ ... _TC_01.pdf
It's enough to give you a headache. Plus, every fixed rate electricity contract offered in Ontario DOES NOT INCLUDE THE PROVINCIAL BENEFIT! You will need to pay the provincial benefit on top of the 6.99 cents/kWh they are offering. The provincial benefit right now essentially amounts to the premium we are paying for useless "green" energy that doesn't work in the dark or in dead air. That is what is driving up electricity costs in Ontario and you can't escape it with a fixed rate contract.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
+1

Stay away from any contract period. Just buy from your local hydro provider.
Aug 25, 2009
582 posts
143 upvotes
I'm down to 15kwh/day. I used to consume a lot more, my step sister left and I've replaced most of my bulbs. The main light in my kitchen used 5x40w + 3x60w bulbs (yeah 380w). I've left only 2 60w bulbs (dimmable CFLs kinda suck).

I was really surprised since same period last year was 3 times as much, hope it stays that way
Nov 6, 2006
702 posts
96 upvotes
Montréal
Hi

Living in a condo, 1000 ft2
  • single person
  • 2nd floor
  • All electric
  • South - West Oriented windows
  • Heater turn off, otherwise I am cooking
  • 20-30 days of AC in summer
  • Use drying rack otherwise air is too dry
  • No TV, no DVD player, just a computer used 2-3 hours a day
Last 63 days : 580 KWH = 9.2KWH / day

BUT I have to take in account that the building had an air exchanger to each appartement and is heated.
I have to pull those nnumber to have a better idea
Jan 7, 2011
4 posts
1 upvote
London
1800ft2 detached home, with 4 person.
Gas for heating, water and cooking range.
Averaging slightly over 15 kw/h a day in the last three month, was closer to 20 the 9 months before that. No idea what caused the change. Since in winter we tend to use more light, more often the electric dryer (air dry in summer, we have racks in the basement, but some things are not drying fast enough) and in fact the A/C is rarely on in the summer (only a few days a year when we cannot stand it, depends of temp and humidity).

My main problem a large number of 50W halogen potlights in the basement. When I realise how much they drain, I rarely dare to turn them on :cry: Most of the other bulbs in the house are CFL.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)