• Apr 24th, 2017 12:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2835 posts
266 upvotes
Vancouver
I heat my apartment with Incandescent Lightbulbs I stocked up on before they took them off the market. I don't even turn on the gas powered heat. I have 4 - 60-watt bulbs in my kitchen ceiling light and with the oven turned on to high, it feels like I'm vacationing in Hawaii!

How RFD am I?

Apparently, Dollarama is stocking incandescent lightbulbs again. Those guys are criminals! Lol.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12685 posts
2873 upvotes
scoobydoo wrote:
Nov 5th, 2016 5:27 am
I heat my apartment with Incandescent Lightbulbs I stocked up on before they took them off the market. I don't even turn on the gas powered heat. I have 4 - 60-watt bulbs in my kitchen ceiling light and with the oven turned on to high, it feels like I'm vacationing in Hawaii!

How RFD am I?

Apparently, Dollarama is stocking incandescent lightbulbs again. Those guys are criminals! Lol.
Depending on the cost of natural gas where you live it typically costs 1/6-1/3 of what electricity does. Using incandescent bulbs is not cost effective.
Space heaters don't cost much, so why waste irreplaceable bulbs assuming your one of the tin foil hat people.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4938 posts
4834 upvotes
Toronto
Quentin5 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2016 8:20 am
scoobydoo wrote:

How RFD am I?

Depending on the cost of natural gas where you live it typically costs 1/6-1/3 of what electricity does. Using incandescent bulbs is not cost effective.
Space heaters don't cost much, so why waste irreplaceable bulbs assuming your one of the tin foil hat people.
It's possible his apartment includes electricity but has metered gas, in which case electricity is "free". If not, then it's a question of math. If it's metered gas, that's an extra $25/mo just to have a gas account.

When I lived in a condo, I did the math. Heat and electricity were both individually metered and direct accounts with the utility companies. Heat was the only thing that used gas. After the first year, I shut off my gas and installed a 1500W electric wall heater. The increase in heating costs for electricity was significantly less than the $300/year it costs just to have a metered gas account active for the condo.

OP is just doing the same thing, except with a 236W electric ceiling heater.
I've got a pretty good friend who's seen me at my worst.
He don't care if I'm a blessing or a curse,
But he always shows up when the chips are down.
That's the kind of friend I like to be around.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12685 posts
2873 upvotes
hoob wrote:
Nov 6th, 2016 9:02 am
Quentin5 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2016 8:20 am
scoobydoo wrote:

How RFD am I?

It's possible his apartment includes electricity but has metered gas, in which case electricity is "free". If not, then it's a question of math. If it's metered gas, that's an extra $25/mo just to have a gas account.

When I lived in a condo, I did the math. Heat and electricity were both individually metered and direct accounts with the utility companies. Heat was the only thing that used gas. After the first year, I shut off my gas and installed a 1500W electric wall heater. The increase in heating costs for electricity was significantly less than the $300/year it costs just to have a metered gas account active for the condo.

OP is just doing the same thing, except with a 236W electric ceiling heater.
He did say he was using an oven left on high all the time.
I don't know the wattage for those things but i suspect it uses more then $21 a month in electricity.
If i could heat my house for $300 a year in electricity i would be ecstatic, however ~1750kWh of energy (or 166m3) of gas won't do for an averaged month, never mind a year.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4938 posts
4834 upvotes
Toronto
Quentin5 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2016 9:09 am
I don't know the wattage for those things but i suspect it uses more then $21 a month in electricity.
If i could heat my house for $300 a year in electricity i would be ecstatic, however ~1750kWh of energy (or 166m3) of gas won't do for a month, never mind a year.
The thermodynamics work out better if living in a condo where 5 of the 6 sides of the dwelling adjoin other heated areas of the building. I'm sure I added 2-3% to the heating costs of my immediate neighbors up and down and to each side, as well, due to thermal transfer to my cooler space :D
I've got a pretty good friend who's seen me at my worst.
He don't care if I'm a blessing or a curse,
But he always shows up when the chips are down.
That's the kind of friend I like to be around.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12685 posts
2873 upvotes
hoob wrote:
Nov 6th, 2016 9:15 am
Quentin5 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2016 9:09 am
If i could heat my house for $300 a year in electricity i would be ecstatic, however ~1750kWh of energy (or 166m3) of gas won't do for a month, never mind a year.
The thermodynamics work out better if living in a condo where 5 of the 6 sides of the dwelling adjoin other heated areas of the building. I'm sure I added 2-3% to the heating costs of my immediate neighbors up and down and to each side, as well, due to thermal transfer to my cooler space :D
Fair enough, building to higher efficiency standards is much simpler in an apartment type setup, in fact meeting tough Passivhaus standards is much easier in conjoined units then in an single family home.
Oct 17, 2016
378 posts
117 upvotes
Just got my latest hydro bill ... last cycle ... average 10.27kwh per day.
Mitsubishi Lancer RULES.
Jun 9, 2009
786 posts
369 upvotes
EV here so at least 25kwh per day. Still so much cheaper than filling up with gas plus no more oil changes, transmission flush etc.
Jan 12, 2017
2 posts
3 bedroom house in rural Ontario. We have geothermal heat which also heats our hot water tank. We moved in August so I don't have a lot of data. But we were averaging around 25kwh a day when temps were above freezing. The month of December we averaged 75kwh. A huge increase but hydro is our only bill for the entire house. So it evens out to what I was paying for water/sewer, gas, hydro, hot water heater when I was in town. I don't know how you guys get under 10kwh a day. I'm jealous. We hang dry all our clothes, bought all new energy efficient appliances when we moved in, keep the thermostat at 69*, house is an r2000 crazy insulated house, all lights and tv are led.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12685 posts
2873 upvotes
jlwilliams21 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2017 6:59 am
3 bedroom house in rural Ontario. We have geothermal heat which also heats our hot water tank. We moved in August so I don't have a lot of data. But we were averaging around 25kwh a day when temps were above freezing. The month of December we averaged 75kwh. A huge increase but hydro is our only bill for the entire house. So it evens out to what I was paying for water/sewer, gas, hydro, hot water heater when I was in town. I don't know how you guys get under 10kwh a day. I'm jealous. We hang dry all our clothes, bought all new energy efficient appliances when we moved in, keep the thermostat at 69*, house is an r2000 crazy insulated house, all lights and tv are led.
You should audit your usage, see where the juice is going.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4190 posts
796 upvotes
Ottawa
jlwilliams21 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2017 6:59 am
We have geothermal heat.... But we were averaging around 25kwh a day when temps were above freezing. The month of December we averaged 75kwh. A huge increase but hydro is our only bill for the entire house.
Taking the difference, 50kWh/day * 31 days, and convert that to equivalent natural gas, it works out to 150m3 of natural gas, which is not out of line for a home of your size. But with geothermal you should be consuming even less, so I would recommend you have your geothermal system recommissioned by a company that specializes in such work. I do think it should be lower. Confirm that electric backup heat is not coming on (shut off a the breaker if necessary)
Jan 12, 2017
2 posts
We also are built on a high water table and our 3 sump pumps have been running almost none stop since December 1st. I think that's a lot of the extra hydro because they didn't run at all Aug-Nov
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1440 posts
345 upvotes
Mississauga
My meter read is reported daily and I do not have access to see the hourly read. I just noticed my mid-peak and on-peak always has whole numbers (1,2,3 etc). I'm not sure if it is rounded up or down.
How do you guys have yours listed?

Off-peak is 6 decimal places so I know my utility read can be more precise for the above.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1374 posts
239 upvotes
Windsor
bubuski wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 11:38 am
My meter read is reported daily and I do not have access to see the hourly read. I just noticed my mid-peak and on-peak always has whole numbers (1,2,3 etc). I'm not sure if it is rounded up or down.

Off-peak is 6 decimal places so I know my utility read can be more precise for the above.
Two decimal places here.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
7453 posts
1078 upvotes
Ontario
bubuski wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 11:38 am

ChubChub wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 3:50 pm
Two decimal places here.
Same, 2 decimal places for every hour. Powerstream.