Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12511 posts
2751 upvotes
lobo wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 11:14 am
Agree with the above statement. While I've been busy measuring everything that's plugged in in my house, I was shocked (hehehe) to find out that my subwoofer pulls 27w just sitting idle or even switched off! When in use it has gone as high as 150w for loud bass heavy scenes. Even the electric toothbrushes and water pick will suck 2w just sitting there doing nothing.
@27W its using 19.764kW/month or about $4 a month in electricity just sitting idle at Ontario rates :facepalm:
Your electric toothbrush i am not surprised because it will recharge the battery and many cheap chargers have no charging algorithm, they just trickle charge 24/7 hence the energy waste but the water pik i am surprised, it should have a physical on/off unless its one of those wireless ones as well. 2W 24/7 is about 30 cents each a month.
I don't know the current statistics but phantom loads take up a sizeable percentage of national electricity usage.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2006
6933 posts
1219 upvotes
Brampton
Quentin5 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 11:19 am
@27W its using 19.764kW/month or about $4 a month in electricity just sitting idle at Ontario rates :facepalm:
Your electric toothbrush i am not surprised because it will recharge the battery and many cheap chargers have no charging algorithm, they just trickle charge 24/7 hence the energy waste but the water pik i am surprised, it should have a physical on/off unless its one of those wireless ones as well. 2W 24/7 is about 30 cents each a month.
I don't know the current statistics but phantom loads take up a sizeable percentage of national electricity usage.
This is why I plug my entire entertainment system in to a powerbar and into a wifi controlled wall plug. When I'm away all my major phantom loads are off.
According to my Efergy Monitor that's about 80-90W.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12511 posts
2751 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 1:18 pm
This is why I plug my entire entertainment system in to a powerbar and into a wifi controlled wall plug. When I'm away all my major phantom loads are off.
@85W your saving about $12.50 a month at Ontario rates
May 3, 2005
914 posts
48 upvotes
Woodbridge
tebore wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 1:18 pm
What kind of wifi plug are you using?
May 3, 2005
914 posts
48 upvotes
Woodbridge
Quentin5 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 11:19 am
Ok just noticed I made a mistake on the water pik. It's the electric toothbrushes taking up 2w each (two of them) and the water pik is at 0w unless it's powered on with the switch at which point i uses around 60w.
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2006
6933 posts
1219 upvotes
Brampton
lobo wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 9:10 pm
What kind of wifi plug are you using?
Modified KAB Ecoplugs that were sold at Home Depot.
They got cleared out for $20 for a two pack.

I use OpenHAB to control the plugs directly instead of the crappy app. When my alarm arms, the plugs all switch off and vice versa.
May 3, 2005
914 posts
48 upvotes
Woodbridge
tebore wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 9:16 pm
Modified KAB Ecoplugs that were sold at Home Depot.
They got cleared out for $20 for a two pack.

I use OpenHAB to control the plugs directly instead of the crappy app. When my alarm arms, the plugs all switch off and vice versa.
Thanks! You also mentioned an Efergy monitor...which one are you using?
Dec 1, 2012
960 posts
372 upvotes
Beaverton
On my 2016 60" Samsung led tv.....every 1 point that I increase my backlight setting raises the wattage consumption meaningfully. (Roughly ~5w)
The difference between my backlight setting #3 and #20 is over 100w/hr in power consumption.
If you can......turn down your backlight settings and raise the contrast/brightness tv settings if possible. (Same thing on your computer monitors)
Every little bit adds up.....

(My 60" tv including a Bell satellite box uses a combined total of 65watts)

Check yours.....
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2006
6933 posts
1219 upvotes
Brampton
lobo wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 10:52 pm
Thanks! You also mentioned an Efergy monitor...which one are you using?
The $8-32 (depends on which Rona you hit) Efergy Elite. The deal was posted a while ago. YMMV they were clearing them out from $100 or something for $32 in most places down to like $8 in some others. At least I think $8 that's the lowest their system says but I don't think anyone here got it for that.
Apr 7, 2017
0 posts
1 upvote
Last month my utility bill soared high, that I'm mulling over options of reducing through solar options. How feasible are they? I heard initial installation is pretty costly.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1332 posts
220 upvotes
Windsor
Bevylowe wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 6:50 am
Last month my utility bill soared high, that I'm mulling over options of reducing through solar options. How feasible are they? I heard initial installation is pretty costly.
What changed? For me, everything has been pretty even-keel minus my dehumidifier now needing to run. You should do as others have said on here and get a Kill-A-Watt and start plugging things into it, or if your previous power consumption was acceptable, simply look at what changed, and see if you can fix it. Many months ago, I hadn't changed the bulbs in my cellar from the two 100w incandescents I had installed. Accidentally left the light on, which meant I was drawing 200w all day for a few days until I noticed; it actually impacted my power consumption drastically, simply because I left a switch on. I've since switched those to LEDs, so if it happens again, it won't really be a huge deal, but that's the kind of dumb thing that can make a large impact.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12511 posts
2751 upvotes
ChubChub wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 12:19 pm
What changed? For me, everything has been pretty even-keel minus my dehumidifier now needing to run. You should do as others have said on here and get a Kill-A-Watt and start plugging things into it, or if your previous power consumption was acceptable, simply look at what changed, and see if you can fix it. Many months ago, I hadn't changed the bulbs in my cellar from the two 100w incandescents I had installed. Accidentally left the light on, which meant I was drawing 200w all day for a few days until I noticed; it actually impacted my power consumption drastically, simply because I left a switch on. I've since switched those to LEDs, so if it happens again, it won't really be a huge deal, but that's the kind of dumb thing that can make a large impact.
The dehumidifier can make your 100W incandescents look like energy misers.
If you can cut its use, set it at 60%, reduce humidity sources, close off the basement if your not using central air (another hog) then you can cut that depending on how much its running.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1332 posts
220 upvotes
Windsor
Quentin5 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 12:22 pm
The dehumidifier can make your 100W incandescents look like energy misers.
If you can cut its use, set it at 60%, reduce humidity sources, close off the basement if your not using central air (another hog) then you can cut that depending on how much its running.
I have it attached to my smart home stuff; only runs during "cheap" times, and it's set at 50% RH (ish ... it uses an equation that uses temp to adjust accordingly). My main issue is the room I am trying to keep humidity controlled actually has a pretty substantial air leak through the electrical box, so when it's windy, it gets real humid in there. I can't "seal" it because there's also a water leak that is coming in to the electrical box, so if I air-seal it, the tube will eventually fill with water :(. I have a pretty notable water problem right now at many points of my home, and I'm getting quotes to have it all fixed (but I'll probably end up doing it myself) ... the dehumidifier is basically a bandaid ... every time it rains (which is often around now), I have water in the basement; without the dehumidifier, the basement is considerably less livable comfortability wise. As well, Windsor is often in the "very humid" area, and I live on the water.

So, I am fully aware of how much of a pig my dehumidifier is (about 400w) ... but it only typically runs about 2hrs/night, which works out to ROUGHLY $3/mo, until I fix the actual problem (hopefully in the next 2 months). It was more of an example for the guy I quoted of what to look for that might have increased his power consumption substantially, mentioning something of mine that is an obvious power hog that was not in use as much in previous months.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Feb 26, 2016
1 posts
We are with BCHydro, and our usage appears to be very high in comparison to many here, and others in my neighborhood.

Our home is a 2 story, 7 years old, 3800 sq feet, total of 3 people upstairs, and 1 person in a 2 bedroom suite downstairs.

Mainfloor: Gas Furnace
Suite: Baseboard heating
AC unit / Heatpump
Electric Hotwater
Electric Dryer
Electric Washer
Electric Dishwasher

I am suspecting my electric water heater is contributing to the extra energy usage.

In efforts to verify power usage, I picked up a kill-a-watt energy monitor as well purchased a Rainforest automation eagle gateway to check real-time usage, as I type, the gateway is showing 2.421 KW, with only myself home.

March 2017 usage:

2,777.50 kWh

2016 Energy Usage

Month:
Consumption (kWh)
January 2016 2,470.66
February 2016 2,076.32
March 2016 2,199.98
April 2016 1,640.06
May 2016 1,599.95
June 2016 1,571.73
July 2016 1,644.61