None
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1670 posts
331 upvotes
Windsor
seekon wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 4:52 pm
We are with BCHydro, and our usage appears to be very high in comparison to many here, and others in my neighborhood.

Our home is a 2 story, 7 years old, 3800 sq feet, total of 3 people upstairs, and 1 person in a 2 bedroom suite downstairs.

Mainfloor: Gas Furnace
Suite: Baseboard heating
AC unit / Heatpump
Electric Hotwater
Electric Dryer
Electric Washer
Electric Dishwasher

I am suspecting my electric water heater is contributing to the extra energy usage.

In efforts to verify power usage, I picked up a kill-a-watt energy monitor as well purchased a Rainforest automation eagle gateway to check real-time usage, as I type, the gateway is showing 2.421 KW, with only myself home.

March 2017 usage:

2,777.50 kWh

2016 Energy Usage

Month:
Consumption (kWh)
January 2016 2,470.66
February 2016 2,076.32
March 2016 2,199.98
April 2016 1,640.06
May 2016 1,599.95
June 2016 1,571.73
July 2016 1,644.61
August 2016 1,245.00
September 2016 1,291.87
October 2016 1,879.22
November 2016 2,322.19
December 2016 2,562.06
Well, first off, you look to have 4 adults in your home, your home is pretty large, and you might live in a much colder area than many others in this thread; those three things are potentially going to drive up usage considerably. Other than that, having lower-levels heated with electric heat and all of your hot water from electricity, those are obvious problems. As well, if you're using the dryer often, that's another pig. Incandescent lighting can be a great source of power consumption as well.

I lived in Whistler, in a similar setup to yours (slightly bigger home, and older) and our power consumption was about 25% more than yours. Our best bang for the buck was lighting; I remember the bulbs paying themselves off in less than a year (though CFLs cost less than LEDs).
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Oct 1, 2011
75 posts
10 upvotes
Georgetown
I can't believe how low some of your usage rates are, but it's impressive! We received some large bills last year in the summer (probably between 50-100kWh usage per day) - likely due to pool pump and A/C. This year I've tried to really find some savings and efficiency, but I'm still lost as to how we're using as much as we are. I've checked around the house with my KiloWatt to see what's using the most power and turned off things we're not using.

This Sunday I tried to do a "minimal usage" test when the wife and kids weren't home -- but still ended up using just over 17kWh.. I just don't get where it's going or how some of you are at like 7/day?

So for the experiment I had:
- Pool Pump off all day (probably around 1700W)
- LED TV (300W) was barely on
- A/C was off all day
- Lights in the house are all LED's and were not on much anyway.
- Didn't run our dishwasher / washing machine / clothes dryer (electric) / de-humidifier / oven (electric) all day.
- Computer was on some of the day (draws about 300W with monitors and speakers)
- No excessive hot water use for showers etc. that day
- Water heater is gas
- 1 fridge upstairs
- 1 freezer in the basement (it uses about 0.9 kWh/day according to the kilowatt)

So with all this stuff not even being used, I'm trying to figure out how I still used just over 17kWh?

Any suggestions what else could be drawing power???
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7802 posts
1882 upvotes
Brampton
mikerfd wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 11:36 am
I can't believe how low some of your usage rates are, but it's impressive! We received some large bills last year in the summer (probably between 50-100kWh usage per day) - likely due to pool pump and A/C. This year I've tried to really find some savings and efficiency, but I'm still lost as to how we're using as much as we are. I've checked around the house with my KiloWatt to see what's using the most power and turned off things we're not using.

This Sunday I tried to do a "minimal usage" test when the wife and kids weren't home -- but still ended up using just over 17kWh.. I just don't get where it's going or how some of you are at like 7/day?

- Pool Pump off all day (probably around 1700W)
- LED TV (300W) was barely on
- A/C was off all day
- Didn't run our dishwasher / washing machine / clothes dryer (electric) / de-humidifier / oven (electric) all day.
- Computer was on some of the day (draws about 300W with monitors and speakers)
- Water heater is gas
- 1 fridge upstairs
- 1 freezer in the basement (it uses about 0.9 kWh/day according to the kilowatt)

So with all this stuff not even being used, I'm trying to figure out how I still used just over 17kWh?

Is that 17kwh over the whole 24 hours? Or just in 1 hour...?

Have you looked at your instaneous use (kW)
Oct 1, 2011
75 posts
10 upvotes
Georgetown
tebore wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 1:45 pm
Is that 17kwh over the whole 24 hours? Or just in 1 hour...?

Have you looked at your instaneous use (kW)
That's what one day showed (17kwh) on my hydro graph. Just seems like more than it should be given everything is off.

instaneous use (kW) -- are you referring to phantom power items? There's not much plugged in and the items I have checked are drawing basically nothing, 3W at most. Or does this apply to other things as well like your lights/a/c? I'm not sure what would draw noticeable loads just sitting there. My computer is set to sleep mode (10W) after 1h and the monitors/speakers/printers are on a power bar and go off.

The ones I'm not sure of are my water softener and large appliances (can you measure dryer/oven? I would think things like a fridge would only draw about 1-2 kwh day based on how much my freezer is drawing.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1670 posts
331 upvotes
Windsor
mikerfd wrote:

- Pool Pump off all day (probably around 1700W) -- no way does it draw 1,700w ... 1HP is 745w ... your pump is probably 1/2HP (so ~350w)
- LED TV (300W) was barely on ... are you SURE it's 300w? My plasma draws ~250w ... I'd imagine an LED TV would use a LOT less.
- A/C was off all day
- Computer was on some of the day (draws about 300W with monitors and speakers) ... this seems like a lot too. I don't think my Q6600 even drew that much.
- Water heater is gas
- 1 fridge upstairs

I know that cheap-ish whole-home power clamps exist for smart home systems ( Link ), so that might be an option if you've got a smart-home system. I assume they exist with a simple screen like the Kill-a-watt as well (Google failed me).

With that, you could clamp to your main feed, and start clicking fuses to see if clicking any of them off has a curiously large impact on your parasitic draw; from there, you can figure out who the culprit is a little quicker (assuming you actually know what fuse controls what things). If you can't find this mythical device, you need to plug your kill-a-watt into everything. Even stupid things like your charger for your cordless drill, alarm clock, coffee machine (some of them keep water hot at all times), camera system, etc etc. With "everything" off, 17kwh in a day is astronomical IMO ... on the hottest days this year, with me working all day on my computer (3 monitors, 10+ hrs), I was at 25kwh. My home is very likely smaller than yours (1,300sq·ft), but this was with everything running as normal, AC running, and I have zero tree cover. Gas everything except oven, but I probably didn't use it that day.
Oct 1, 2011
75 posts
10 upvotes
Georgetown
The live monitoring looks interesting, thanks for the link. that's kind of what I was looking for in terms of how to figure out what things I can't measure with the kilowatt are drawing.
Now I haven't done a real test with the kilowatt (leaving it plugged in devices all day long to see the draw over 24hrs let's say) but did plug it into almost everything like phone charges etc. and didn't see anything that stood out. I guess i"ll have to check my alarm clocks too :) There is a PIG hiding somewhere.

I can see why my regular usage is higher, house is 3200 sq ft and wife likes the A/C on... but still seemed high which is why I tested on a cool day when A/C was off and appliances weren't being used. My computer did read 300W, but I should let it stay plugged in for a full day i guess? TV - same... but it is probably about 6 years old, cheap Costco LED TV (50 inch), so maybe it's less efficient if you have a newer TV? Pool pump is 1HP, I was just guessing based on information here: http://bit.ly/2tUkONp (1 HP = 1.72 kWh x hrs per day)

The mystery continutes... I'll have to look into that whole home power clamp.
Last edited by mikerfd on Jun 27th, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1611 posts
446 upvotes
Mississauga
Probably depends on the size of the TV screen. My 2016 65" led gets into the 200W range easily. If I disable HDR and other picture quality/brightness enhancements then it drops into 95-100W but I don't bother.

You'll have to check everything. Pool heater, pool pump...even gas appliances. I found out my gas tankless had an electric heating element that runs pretty often in the winter when the appliance is not in use. Getting a live monitor clamp on your meter and flipping off breakers is the easiest way to track down energy guzzlers.

My place is 2600 sq ft (basement included) and I use the A/C generously(21.5C overnight daily). Furnace fan is ECM and runs continuously 3PM to 7AM in the summer. Even after my a/c runs for 5 hrs I can still get under 17kWh for the day
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7802 posts
1882 upvotes
Brampton
mikerfd wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 2:49 pm
That's what one day showed (17kwh) on my hydro graph. Just seems like more than it should be given everything is off.

instaneous use (kW) -- are you referring to phantom power items? There's not much plugged in and the items I have checked are drawing basically nothing, 3W at most. Or does this apply to other things as well like your lights/a/c? I'm not sure what would draw noticeable loads just sitting there. My computer is set to sleep mode (10W) after 1h and the monitors/speakers/printers are on a power bar and go off.

The ones I'm not sure of are my water softener and large appliances (can you measure dryer/oven? I would think things like a fridge would only draw about 1-2 kwh day based on how much my freezer is drawing.
The closest instaneous power usage would be the hourly read out by your hydro company if you don't have a whole house power monitor.
My instaneous idle power consumption when we're home is ~450-500w. That's running a 24TB micro server, and smart home systems. Furnace fan running on Circ 24/7 + HEPA Filter.

I just checked my usage over the course of last week my usage was avging ~12kWh a day and that's with 6 hours of AC Usage. I was thinking 17kWh wasn't so bad but you said that was with everything off.

I use an efergy whole house monitor.
https://thelazycouple.com/knowledge-is- ... 6d7ad00f5d
I reviewed it here. I also outline the install which is consistent with a lot of whole home monitors. The major difference between monitors is the interface, integration and smarts.

One major change I did was change my Furnace motor to an ECM one. The change out was written on the blog. I also inspired some here to change theirs out. If you like your AC and or Fan on all the time. You're lookung at saving 200-300w of instaneous power. That's a savings of up to 5-7kwh a day if you're a heavy fan user.
Last edited by tebore on Jun 27th, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13455 posts
3354 upvotes
Toronto
mikerfd wrote:

Thats insane I use about 1/2 of that on average for my whole house everyday. Thats with some inefficiencies i can't easily fix.
If your in Ontario and sign up for peaksaver depending on your municipality you get either a whole house energy monitor or a programmable thermostat. Also CT used to sell a B&D whole house energy monitor or you can buy the Blueline model.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2356 posts
939 upvotes
Toronto
Been at my house about a month. I'm using on average around 5kWh per day. I haven't been doing anything to try and conserve yet, though I don't have or do anything that uses a ton of electricity. With my usage so low, doubt I'd ever try and conserve.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7802 posts
1882 upvotes
Brampton
crystallight wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 1:03 pm
Been at my house about a month. I'm using on average around 5kWh per day. I haven't been doing anything to try and conserve yet, though I don't have or do anything that uses a ton of electricity. With my usage so low, doubt I'd ever try and conserve.
That's really good. How old's the house.
The only way I could get that low is if I turn off my furnace fan from circ and turn off my server and network.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1670 posts
331 upvotes
Windsor
crystallight wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 1:03 pm
Duplex/row-house? That's amazing regardless; I assume my A/C alone consumes that.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2356 posts
939 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 1:26 pm
That's really good. How old's the house.
The only way I could get that low is if I turn off my furnace fan from circ and turn off my server and network.
House is around 40 years old.
I haven't had to use the A/C much so far, I expect it'll get more usage once the heat increases and thus my electricity will increase too.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2356 posts
939 upvotes
Toronto
ChubChub wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 1:43 pm
Duplex/row-house? That's amazing regardless; I assume my A/C alone consumes that.
Detached. It's a small house though.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2356 posts
939 upvotes
Toronto
Just received my first full month bill.
Usage averages just a shade under 5kWh per day.
Total bill is $38. The usage itself is $14 which only accounts for like 1/3 of the bill lol.