None
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12953 posts
3023 upvotes
crystallight wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 12:44 pm
Just received my first full month bill.
Usage averages just a shade under 5kWh per day.
Very impressive Smiling Face With Sunglasses
I believe the average Ontario house uses 800kWh a month (10 year statistic iirc) which is about 26kWh/day
Consumption will go up in winter, and you can calculate fixed cost here by zeroing out the usage, and being fixed cost if you use more it won't go up much
https://www.oeb.ca/consumer-protection/ ... calculator
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2295 posts
919 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 1:07 pm
Very impressive Smiling Face With Sunglasses
I believe the average Ontario house uses 800kWh a month (10 year statistic iirc) which is about 26kWh/day
Consumption will go up in winter, and you can calculate fixed cost here by zeroing out the usage, and being fixed cost if you use more it won't go up much
https://www.oeb.ca/consumer-protection/ ... calculator
Why will consumption go up in the winter? My furnace uses natural gas. And my A/C I'm pretty sure uses electricity. So if anything, wouldn't consumption go down (for hydro)?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1545 posts
296 upvotes
Windsor
crystallight wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 2:22 pm
Why will consumption go up in the winter? My furnace uses natural gas. And my A/C I'm pretty sure uses electricity. So if anything, wouldn't consumption go down (for hydro)?
@ 5kwh, I'm assuming your A/C is never turning on; that's got to be just your fridge, and whatever random stuff you have running in your home (lights @ night, cellphone charger, router, modem, clock radio, etc). In the winter, you're not likely going to be getting away with not having your furnace turn on, so you'll have that fan's power consumption. It won't be much, but it'll be more than your current "not running A/C" baseline.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2295 posts
919 upvotes
ChubChub wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 3:15 pm
@ 5kwh, I'm assuming your A/C is never turning on; that's got to be just your fridge, and whatever random stuff you have running in your home (lights @ night, cellphone charger, router, modem, clock radio, etc). In the winter, you're not likely going to be getting away with not having your furnace turn on, so you'll have that fan's power consumption. It won't be much, but it'll be more than your current "not running A/C" baseline.
I've had to use my A/C for like 3 days (not the whole day) so it's definitely not getting much usage. I'm not sure how much electricity the furnace uses, but I don't imagine it's too much. I always just assumed my winter hydro usage would be similar to my non-winter usage.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1545 posts
296 upvotes
Windsor
crystallight wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 3:17 pm
I've had to use my A/C for like 3 days (not the whole day) so it's definitely not getting much usage. I'm not sure how much electricity the furnace uses, but I don't imagine it's too much. I always just assumed my winter hydro usage would be similar to my non-winter usage.
I presume, if you look at those days that you used your A/C, your consumption would likely have increased considerably (especially since your "base" consumption is so low). Seeing your number makes me want to actually finish my insulation projects, and deal with my server that shouldn't even be running anymore; I'm up in the 15-20kwh range from 5-10 in the winter ;).
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12953 posts
3023 upvotes
crystallight wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 2:22 pm
Depending on the efficiency of the house and the furnace it will use 30-250kwh/month (1-8.5kWh/day). The furnace fan is a huge user because of the number of hours a day the furnace is running, plus lights for more hours, plus power vent on water tank if high efficiency (people typically use more hot water) and space heaters.

You obviously use almost no AC and have a gas water tank
Oct 1, 2011
52 posts
4 upvotes
ChubChub wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 3:15 pm
@ 5kwh, I'm assuming your A/C is never turning on; that's got to be just your fridge,
Yeah, I don't even know how you guys get down to 5KwH. I'm sure my A/C alone does that every day. - probably more as I notice a good jump when it's on. Just out of curiosity, what temp are most of you keeping your A/C at then with such low numbers? I have it at 72F currently (which is a compromise, as my wife would prefer to live in an igloo during the summer).
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3218 posts
1884 upvotes
GTA
mikerfd wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 9:18 pm
Yeah, I don't even know how you guys get down to 5KwH. I'm sure my A/C alone does that every day. - probably more as I notice a good jump when it's on. Just out of curiosity, what temp are most of you keeping your A/C at then with such low numbers? I have it at 72F currently (which is a compromise, as my wife would prefer to live in an igloo during the summer).
72F ? In the US? I keep mine at 26C when away during the day and 24C when home. If it's really hot out or the temps on our 5 floors are really unbalanced I may set it to 23C.
Oct 1, 2011
52 posts
4 upvotes
72F / 22C - not US... just how it was set, old thermostat which I'm replacing shortly. I tried setting it at 24C stealthly when we had a stretch of cold days, then when it warmed up I said the A/C was just trying to catch up... but she checked the thermostat and that did not go well. lol
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12953 posts
3023 upvotes
mikerfd wrote:
With 5kWh/day the AC is not being used or is used a couple hours a week.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1480 posts
364 upvotes
Mississauga
ChubChub wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 3:38 pm
I presume, if you look at those days that you used your A/C, your consumption would likely have increased considerably (especially since your "base" consumption is so low). Seeing your number makes me want to actually finish my insulation projects, and deal with my server that shouldn't even be running anymore; I'm up in the 15-20kwh range from 5-10 in the winter ;).
Same here, I'd have to wait till October to see consistent low usage. In the summer I'd see under 10kwh only on days when the house is unoccupied for 24hrs.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1581 posts
189 upvotes
Just throwing some South Florida numbers out there for you guys to compare.

Cost per kWh ends up being just under $0.12 USD where I live in Palm Beach county.

In this past June, our 3,200 sq ft home uses about 1283 kWh (39 kWh) which is mostly to keep it cool. Everything is electric here, no gas is available in most areas.
In the end it costs less in FL to run a detached home (Water, Electricity, Gas costs) double the size of my semi back in Ajax.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3218 posts
1884 upvotes
GTA
tdott wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 9:12 am
Just throwing some South Florida numbers out there for you guys to compare.

Cost per kWh ends up being just under $0.12 USD where I live in Palm Beach county.

In this past June, our 3,200 sq ft home uses about 1283 kWh (39 kWh) which is mostly to keep it cool. Everything is electric here, no gas is available in most areas.
In the end it costs less in FL to run a detached home (Water, Electricity, Gas costs) double the size of my semi back in Ajax.
Only problem is Florida is doing nothing to curb climate change that will eventually put Florida under water. However, it will be easy to stay cool when they're under water :P
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12953 posts
3023 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 9:36 am
However, it will be easy to stay cool when they're under water :P
very true
however its hard to breathe and thats a problem
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1545 posts
296 upvotes
Windsor
mikerfd wrote:
mikerfd wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 11:05 pm
72F / 22C - not US... just how it was set, old thermostat which I'm replacing shortly. I tried setting it at 24C stealthly when we had a stretch of cold days, then when it warmed up I said the A/C was just trying to catch up... but she checked the thermostat and that did not go well. lol
I keep mine indicated at 75°F, but a calibrated thermometer directly beside it says it's actually 73°F (and my cheapo-laster thermometer agrees), so my thermostat lies by ~2°F. Coincidentally, if your wife is actually concerned more about the number than the actual feel of the home, some thermostats have an offset you can program into them; you can make it LOOK like 70°F, but it's actually 73°F (for example).

My father's home is at 78°F shown on his thermostat, but it always feels cooler than my home (haven't checked if his thermostat is just brutal).