Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1587 posts
192 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 9:36 am
Only problem is Florida is doing nothing to curb climate change that will eventually put Florida under water. However, it will be easy to stay cool when they're under water :P

Yes very true, I don't plan to be here long enough to find out. :D

Solar power is picking up, the only incentive is a tax credit on the costs to install then, they don't buy solar power from you at government subsidized rates. Solar is about the only good they do to for the environment, but it's the perfect location for it, lots of sun here.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4639 posts
3203 upvotes
GTA
Quentin5 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 9:40 am
very true
however its hard to breathe and thats a problem
Either evolve gills or go the Water World route....

Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1587 posts
192 upvotes
mikerfd wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 9:18 pm
Just out of curiosity, what temp are most of you keeping your A/C at then with such low numbers? I have it at 72F currently (which is a compromise, as my wife would prefer to live in an igloo during the summer).
I used to average 8-9kWh when I lived in Ajax, we used to only run the AC during the nights or weekends when we were going to be home, mostly kept it off during the day because no one was home most of the time. We used to put it to 24C at night, higher during the day if we turned it on.

Now that we have a puppy home all day and live in FL, we leave it on 24/7. 76F during the day, 74F at night.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13626 posts
3406 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 10:17 am
Either evolve gills or go the Water World route....

I love how fuel is clearly labelled, so your enemies know exactly what to target Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2629 posts
474 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
ChubChub wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 10:01 am
I keep mine indicated at 75°F, but a calibrated thermometer directly beside it says it's actually 73°F (and my cheapo-laster thermometer agrees), so my thermostat lies by ~2°F. Coincidentally, if your wife is actually concerned more about the number than the actual feel of the home, some thermostats have an offset you can program into them; you can make it LOOK like 70°F, but it's actually 73°F (for example).

My father's home is at 78°F shown on his thermostat, but it always feels cooler than my home (haven't checked if his thermostat is just brutal).
My wife bases on coolness so no offset I do would help and of course in winter it is putting heat even higher :)

Our tsat is off about 3F when compare to two other thermostats so perhaps a big presume but guessing the two are more accurate then tstat.

Sometimes it shows as being even more off hence I stopped putting an offset and just go by what is comfortable.

Used to hate opening windows however when there is nice breeze even on hot days the cross wind from front and rear windows makes the house comfortable and no ac use!!

Our hydro use for last month varied from 15 kWh/day to 60 kWh/day... wish it would not rain so much so could open windows more often.

About 1 1/2 month ago we went out of town and turned off all powerbars [tvs, video game consoles, tv boxes, computers, etc.] and just left hot water tank on [gas but electric fan]. Still had about 5-6 kWh/day. Did have a few nightlights with sensors plugged in but guessing the hot water tank was biggest user along with 2 fridges??
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13626 posts
3406 upvotes
Toronto
Fridges can be amazingly bad, from 1kWh-15kWh/day each (depending on age and design).
Hot water tank should not be bad if not used, though i suspect you had other phantom loads.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1626 posts
452 upvotes
Mississauga
Been a cool summer. July was my highest and I averaged just under 18kWh per day.
Oct 1, 2011
75 posts
10 upvotes
Georgetown
I installed a smart thermostat and more LED bulbs also adjusted the A/C timing slightly - managed to cut our last bill in half from the same period last summer Lowest I was able to get down to was 7kWh /day when we weren't home with the A/C off and the hot water tank turned down.
Feb 1, 2009
834 posts
110 upvotes
Markham, GTA
Thanks OP for starting this thread.

15-year-old detached house in Southern Ontario. 2800sqf + 1000 sqf finished basement.
2 adults 2 kids.
Gas furnace + water heater.
Cold water H/E cloth washing and air drying.
CFL / LED bulbs throughout.

11kWh/day last winter and 9kWh/day this summer.
If my sanity has to go, it is my job to keep its absence to myself. :D
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1682 posts
332 upvotes
Windsor
beeknight wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:18 am
Thanks OP for starting this thread.

15-year-old detached house in Southern Ontario. 2800sqf + 1000 sqf finished basement.
2 adults 2 kids.
Gas furnace + water heater.
Cold water H/E cloth washing and air drying.
CFL / LED bulbs throughout.

11kWh/day last winter and 9kWh/day this summer.
That's an insanely low consumption rate for the summer; congrats! I was pretty proud to get to 15kWh/day ... back to the drawing board :).
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Feb 1, 2009
834 posts
110 upvotes
Markham, GTA
ChubChub wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 3:53 pm
That's an insanely low consumption rate for the summer; congrats! I was pretty proud to get to 15kWh/day ... back to the drawing board :).
Thanks, this summer was very mild though. Last summer we had a hot month averaging 20kWh/day.
If my sanity has to go, it is my job to keep its absence to myself. :D
Oct 6, 2017
3 posts
Beeknight has pretty low numbers.
Ours for 2 adults: 12.3Wh/day last winter and 9-9.5kWh/day this summer, so average just over 10 kwh. (a bit under 4000 kwh per year)

We are in Edmonton, so no AC needed, just more for furnace fan, maybe lights in winter. (also run furnace fan on hot days to circulate air, esp. from cooler basement)
1956 detached bungalow (but reinsulated to R26 or more walls, R 40 ceiling and R 12 or so sprayfoam on outside concrete of basement walls)
1680 sqf main + 1600 sqf finished basement, big low slope roof that keeps some snow on it for insulation
Gas furnace + water heater
warm water H/E clothes washing and air drying
CFL bulbs throughout, electric stove, main fridge and smaller fridge in basement. only 1 TV

low I think because we are 2; we only keep cfl lights on in room where we are and not many at night, 23 year old furnaces have fan that likely uses 150-200 watts but they run less often when we insulated house, replaced windows to cut our gas consumption nearly in half (88-95 GJ including heating water), stove for 1 main meal a day, gone up to 1 month a year. (2 fridges and occasional small in car electric heater in winter keep kwh slightly higher; also keep some music on from stereo most of time)
I'll find another thread to ask about natural gas GJ numbers. With insulating and sealing renos, we are like R2000 home but have 2 old furnaces, not worth the money to replace them till we have to as it would only save about 20% on 82 GJ of gas at $5/GJ or less.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1985 posts
312 upvotes
Oshawa
Oshawa area ... 1800 sq ft. home (2 floors, 3 bedroom, 3 bath, unfinished basement with a coldroom) ... 2 adults

Usage (measured from Mar 2017 to November 2017):
Hydro reading - Mar 1/17 @ 79533 kw/h ... Nov 1/17 @ 81836 kw/h = Average usage of 288 kw/h per month
Gas reading - Mar 1/17 @ 26233 cu. m. ... Nov 1/17 @ 26849 cu. m. = Average usage of 77 cubic meters per month
Water reading - Mar 1/17 @ 3442 cu. m. ... Nov 1/17 @ 3494.6 cu. m. = Average usage of 6.6 cubic meters per month

Last Hydro Bill - just paid in early November ... $42.98
Last Gas Bill (includes water tank rental) - just paid in early November ... $60.95
Last Water Bill - just paid in October ... $133.49 (billed ONCE quarterly)

Plugged in appliances: 1 fridge, 1 electric stove, 1 hot water boiler, 1 freezer in basement, 1 microwave, 1 dishwasher, 1 washer, 1 dryer
Gas Furnace
Hot Water Tank (rental ... runs on natural gas)
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.

Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, OSP RULES!
YGK, Toray, Sunline RULES!
Shimano RULES!
St. Croix & Halo RULES!

JDM ONLY.
Jul 7, 2017
53 posts
9 upvotes
So far these past few months in the SW-most corner of BC, currently 49-60 and very rarely 70 KW per day with daytime highs of 7-11C. This is a 3,800 s.f. house, 2 adults in most of the time, with electric-only heat (reverse cycle heat pump) and electric hot water tank (hot water circulation tank disactivated). There's LPG for part of the cooking top and also a heater that is not used/pilot off. Base in warmer weather (no heat pump use) was in the high 20 KW region.

I've replaced most of the lights used most of the time with cheap IKEA non-dimmable 400 lumen LEDs, and a smattering of cheap CFLs too. There were 86 track lights in the house (previous owners used it to show off their art and collectibles). 16 of these can take direct power so I got 10 LED GU10s for these (sold cheap @ $2 each as they dim briefly after being turned on) and try not to use the other. There were also 2 chandeliers that used 9 x 60W incandescent bulbs each. Now they have 9 x 5W LEDs.

Consumption spiked to over 100 KW daily during a cold spell when the heat pump was misconfigured (trying to keep it from using the auxiliary heat strips - met an outdoor 10K type 2 temperature sensor if you can provide me a lead on one).

Temperature is controlled by a Carrier programmable thermostat that replaced the old Carrier non-programmable. We heat to 19C in the morning, let it drop to 18C for the rest of the day, 20C in the evening and 17C overnight.

4 French doors that don't seal too good. Spec grade stuff' the people who custom built it had money but didn't use anything that sealed good as their consumption was probably in the mid 100 KW / day.

Plugged in, we have one fridge (no freezer), wall over, 2 rings of a cook top (other 3 are gas), dishwasher, older front-load washer, dryer (try not to use - line dry as much as possible), water heater. Newly added towel heater (will use on manual only).

2 stereo units that may burn a lot of power (2 tube amps, tube CD player, and an AVR + PVR box). 2-3 laptops, 2 telco modems + 1 fibre optic converter.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1682 posts
332 upvotes
Windsor
thriftshopper wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 12:22 pm
So far these past few months in the SW-most corner of BC, currently 49-60 and very rarely 70 KW per day with daytime highs of 7-11C. This is a 3,800 s.f. house, 2 adults in most of the time, with electric-only heat (reverse cycle heat pump) and electric hot water tank (hot water circulation tank disactivated). There's LPG for part of the cooking top and also a heater that is not used/pilot off. Base in warmer weather (no heat pump use) was in the high 20 KW region.

I've replaced most of the lights used most of the time with cheap IKEA non-dimmable 400 lumen LEDs, and a smattering of cheap CFLs too. There were 86 track lights in the house (previous owners used it to show off their art and collectibles). 16 of these can take direct power so I got 10 LED GU10s for these (sold cheap @ $2 each as they dim briefly after being turned on) and try not to use the other. There were also 2 chandeliers that used 9 x 60W incandescent bulbs each. Now they have 9 x 5W LEDs.

Consumption spiked to over 100 KW daily during a cold spell when the heat pump was misconfigured (trying to keep it from using the auxiliary heat strips - met an outdoor 10K type 2 temperature sensor if you can provide me a lead on one).

Temperature is controlled by a Carrier programmable thermostat that replaced the old Carrier non-programmable. We heat to 19C in the morning, let it drop to 18C for the rest of the day, 20C in the evening and 17C overnight.

4 French doors that don't seal too good. Spec grade stuff' the people who custom built it had money but didn't use anything that sealed good as their consumption was probably in the mid 100 KW / day.

Plugged in, we have one fridge (no freezer), wall over, 2 rings of a cook top (other 3 are gas), dishwasher, older front-load washer, dryer (try not to use - line dry as much as possible), water heater. Newly added towel heater (will use on manual only).

2 stereo units that may burn a lot of power (2 tube amps, tube CD player, and an AVR + PVR box). 2-3 laptops, 2 telco modems + 1 fibre optic converter.
Those tube amps can be absolute cows. I built myself some Class-A tube amps a few years ago; continuous 300w consumption (per amp; had to be a tool and have one per channel).

100kWh in a day seems insanely high, considering how mild your climate is; I'd be getting a Kill-A-Watt and looking into stuff.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

paullyn59