Tags:
None
Jul 7, 2017
567 posts
180 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
ChubChub wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 11:49 am
Those tube amps can be absolute cows. I built myself some Class-A tube amps a few years ago; continuous 300w consumption (per amp; had to be a tool and have one per channel).
I have no idea how much they draw (they're hybrids) but use 2 12AX7s each, I believe. The CD player runs 2 6922s.
100kWh in a day seems insanely high, considering how mild your climate is; I'd be getting a Kill-A-Watt and looking into stuff.
Not us but the former now-deceased owners. Quite believable. They had a C$55k sunroom built on the deck that they reputedly used and thus heated all winter to 25C (as with the rest of the house) with a spaceheater and heat from the house, reportedly slept with a bedroom window open all winter, and the heat pump was probably using auxiliary heat (heat strips).
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Sep 25, 2017
12 posts
1 upvote
MacGyver wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2010 7:13 pm
We've now dropped down to 18kWh a day now that my wife has gone back to work and the house is empty during the day. Here's my account of where our electricity is consumed, on a yearly basis:

Code: Select all

1430	20%	Dryer
1020	14%	Furnace Fan
900	13%	Inside Lights
640	9%	Dishwasher
536	7%	Range
500	7%	A/C
480	7%	Satellite TV
448	6%	Fridge
447	6%	Vampire Loads (including networking)
284	4%	Freezer
210	3%	Misc
180	3%	Computers (excluding networking)
117	2%	Outdoor Lights
7191	100%	Total

We're going to replace the furnace with one that has a more efficient motor.
how do u know all the details of electricity consumed?
Sep 25, 2017
12 posts
1 upvote
this month we used 16kwh/day my hot tank is284L WITH two tempo control .now we just three people .is it too much for us and how to save bill?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
8959 posts
2872 upvotes
Brampton
andrewhau wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:44 pm
how do u know all the details of electricity consumed?
If you go back to look at MacGyver's posts you'll see he used a swiss army knife, paperclip and rubber band.

But seriously he used a Kill-a-watt. It has a memory function so you can average out the use of an appliance over a given time period.

Hydroone also has a TOU portal that gives you a breakdown of month, daily, hourly use. If you compare the information from both sources you'll be able to decipher what consumes the most amount of power.

Or you can get a whole home energy monitor.
Sep 25, 2017
12 posts
1 upvote
thank u for yout reply.i checked kill a watt on amazon,around 40bucks .i have no idea if iwanna monitor all the appliances in the house,i have to buy many of them?it can also monitor hot tank which is 4500w in my basement?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
8959 posts
2872 upvotes
Brampton
andrewhau wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 1:34 pm
thank u for yout reply.i checked kill a watt on amazon,around 40bucks .i have no idea if iwanna monitor all the appliances in the house,i have to buy many of them?it can also monitor hot tank which is 4500w in my basement?
Ha You don't buy one for every appliance. You measure one at a time to average out. Then you time the appliance to get a fairly close approximation to see how much power is consumed. You can use the hydro util's console to give you a rough idea.

For the large items like your 4500w heater you need a clamp on meter. Or a whole house monitor.

how-many-kwh-do-you-use-day-936908/26/#p27942823
I talk about my experience with a fairly simple model here.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1062 posts
117 upvotes
Or you can get a Non-invasive AC Current Sensor and arduino. I have one on each of my mains. Doesnt tell you per device but you can narrow it down pretty easily. The big spikes are the furnace fan, the small ones are the fridge. The other randoms are the dishwasher, washing machine, etc. Base load has a server and networking equipment runnning 24/7.
Capture.JPG

I can also match it up with the readings from the smart meter provided by horizon utilities. Its really close now that i got it tuned in. Just got it working in November solid so cant trust the data before that too much.
Capture2.JPG

Edit, you could also use the CT on any of the circuits in the panel as long as you only use ONE wire and not both.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1888 posts
561 upvotes
Mississauga
Last two years have been pretty consistent. 20% reduction from previous years.

Jan-Dec 2016 = 5215.302699 = ~14.2kWh per day
Jan-Dec 2017 = 5209.872499kWh = ~14.3kWh per day

Peak usage is similar too
Jan-Dec 2016 = 70%(Off) ,15%(Mid), On(15%)
Jan-Dec 2017 = 71%(Off) ,15%(Mid), On(14%)

As usual Christmas lights contributed in eliminating any savings I made through the yearFace With Tears Of Joy

Last edited by bubuski on Feb 2nd, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 6, 2006
263 posts
56 upvotes
Brampton
RAINMAN0 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2017 10:08 pm
Or you can get a Non-invasive AC Current Sensor and arduino. I have one on each of my mains. Doesnt tell you per device but you can narrow it down pretty easily. The big spikes are the furnace fan, the small ones are the fridge. The other randoms are the dishwasher, washing machine, etc. Base load has a server and networking equipment runnning 24/7.

Capture.JPG

I can also match it up with the readings from the smart meter provided by horizon utilities. Its really close now that i got it tuned in. Just got it working in November solid so cant trust the data before that too much.

Capture2.JPG

Edit, you could also use the CT on any of the circuits in the panel as long as you only use ONE wire and not both.
Very impressive. Is there a web page that describes the system. Do you have an Arduino for each CT (current transformer) or something to multiplex many to one Arduino. I am interested in a similar setup for our place.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1062 posts
117 upvotes
gwn wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 9:31 am
Very impressive. Is there a web page that describes the system. Do you have an Arduino for each CT (current transformer) or something to multiplex many to one Arduino. I am interested in a similar setup for our place.
I am using one per arduino because there is only one analog input on the ones I am using (Wemos D1 mini). I bought an analog multiplexer after but I don't know if this will work as well since it can only send one analog at a time and cycle between them so I may just keep the current setup. If you have an arduino like the Uno you could do 6 on it. But then you need to also add a wifi module, and it runs at 5v vs 3.3v so I would have to redo the circuit design also (not hard but why change what works). I found it easier to use 2, but really, anything is possible.

You can search google for arduino CT circuit. I read this for the idea but I changed the code as it wasnt working well for me. http://www.homautomation.org/2013/09/17 ... d-arduino/
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3490 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
RAINMAN0 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 9:51 am
I am using one per arduino because there is only one analog input on the ones I am using (Wemos D1 mini). I bought an analog multiplexer after but I don't know if this will work as well since it can only send one analog at a time and cycle between them so I may just keep the current setup. If you have an arduino like the Uno you could do 6 on it. But then you need to also add a wifi module, and it runs at 5v vs 3.3v so I would have to redo the circuit design also (not hard but why change what works). I found it easier to use 2, but really, anything is possible.

You can search google for arduino CT circuit. I read this for the idea but I changed the code as it wasnt working well for me. http://www.homautomation.org/2013/09/17 ... d-arduino/
What package are you using for recording the data, and are you recording voltage as well? I've done some simple Arduino CT circuits (also using a Wemos D1) but just on a hacked power-bar to track electricity usage from a chest freezer.

I'm also curious how / who you got to put the CTs inside your panel. I have everything I need but haven't gotten around to that part yet.

You can buy a fast ADC like the MCP3208 and put it between your CTs and the Wemos (it is an SPI device) but they are a bit finicky to use. I couldn't get a linear readout from mine. Alternatively you could use something like a LOLIN ESP32 board that has a bunch of analog inputs and apparently a decent ADC built-in (more than the 10 bits that the Wemos D1 has)
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1062 posts
117 upvotes
JHW wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 12:37 pm
What package are you using for recording the data, and are you recording voltage as well? I've done some simple Arduino CT circuits (also using a Wemos D1) but just on a hacked power-bar to track electricity usage from a chest freezer.

I'm also curious how / who you got to put the CTs inside your panel. I have everything I need but haven't gotten around to that part yet.

You can buy a fast ADC like the MCP3208 and put it between your CTs and the Wemos (it is an SPI device) but they are a bit finicky to use. I couldn't get a linear readout from mine. Alternatively you could use something like a LOLIN ESP32 board that has a bunch of analog inputs and apparently a decent ADC built-in (more than the 10 bits that the Wemos D1 has)
Im sending the data to influxDB. It makes an HTTP post.

Well, technically you should have an electrician do it but I did it myself. I turned the power off of the panel at the main breaker. Opened it up, and put them on. They are non-invasive so its not really touching anything electrical except opening the panel. I dont advise this obviously as you are technically supposed to be a licensed electrician.

I may check out the LOLIN. Could be interesting.

My readings were off by almost 10% compared to the smart meter. I calibrated it by comparing it to the smart meter readouts hourly and applied a correction factor. Now it seems to be quite accurate. Usually within 2%. It doesnt correct for power factor shift so anything with an inductive load can skew the results a bit. You can actually measure this and create a more complicated setup but that was too much for me. This is accurate enough to get a general gist of thats going on in my house.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3490 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
RAINMAN0 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 12:57 pm
Im sending the data to influxDB. It makes an HTTP post.
I tried that some time ago, was a pain for me (on a Raspberry Pi) but the graphs were pretty (you're using Grafana or something?)
My readings were off by almost 10% compared to the smart meter. I calibrated it by comparing it to the smart meter readouts hourly and applied a correction factor. Now it seems to be quite accurate. Usually within 2%. It doesnt correct for power factor shift so anything with an inductive load can skew the results a bit. You can actually measure this and create a more complicated setup but that was too much for me. This is accurate enough to get a general gist of thats going on in my house.
That's my aim as well. I have seen approaches to correcting power factor by sampling instantaneous voltage with an AC-AC adapter but that may be overkill.

Are you using a voltage divider setup to bring the CT output to a readable range on the Wemos? Did you write your own script? I may PM for more details if you don't mind
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1062 posts
117 upvotes
JHW wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 2:51 pm
I tried that some time ago, was a pain for me (on a Raspberry Pi) but the graphs were pretty (you're using Grafana or something?)

That's my aim as well. I have seen approaches to correcting power factor by sampling instantaneous voltage with an AC-AC adapter but that may be overkill.

Are you using a voltage divider setup to bring the CT output to a readable range on the Wemos? Did you write your own script? I may PM for more details if you don't mind
Yes, I have a voltage divider. Im away for work but when i get back this weekend I'll send you my code and a schematic of what I did. its pretty simple once I figured out what I was doing.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2563 posts
1062 upvotes
Waterloo
Random question. I leave several phone chargers plugged into the wall throughout the house (bedroom, living room, basement) so that it's very convenient if I need to charge my phone. So for most of the day, there are three chargers plugged into the wall socket but no actual phone being charged. When there's no phone attached on the other end, does the charger still consume electricity (even a little)?