Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14776 posts
4152 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 10:46 pm
Right but the air itself couldn't be 30'C otherwise it would heat up your house. Certainly your house could stay cool during the day if it's shaded.
I think the fact he said he used it twice for company is the key, meaning he does not mind the heat, but direct summer sunlight is what gets him.
What did you come here for?
I came here to complain
I'm sorry thats next door, its being hit on the head lessons in here...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5280 posts
5176 upvotes
Toronto
Quentin5 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 11:16 pm
I think the fact he said he used it twice for company is the key, meaning he does not mind the heat, but direct summer sunlight is what gets him.
Yeah, typical "I don't mind if it's 25C and 80% humidity in the house so I don't think you should either, but I'll claim it's actually 21C and pleasant without AC". As they say.. "Perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist on your street! Were these magic windows? Did you buy them from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?"
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2004 posts
451 upvotes
Windsor
engineered wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 10:46 pm
Right but the air itself couldn't be 30'C otherwise it would heat up your house. Certainly your house could stay cool during the day if it's shaded.
The climate where he lives is also potentially quite a bit different than you experience; I expect his average summer day is a few degrees cooler than where you are, and likely lower humidity as well. The difference between "too hot" and "comfortable" is surprisingly small, so small geographic differences can have a big impact.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7438 posts
5727 upvotes
Oakville
ChubChub wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 7:19 pm
The climate where he lives is also potentially quite a bit different than you experience; I expect his average summer day is a few degrees cooler than where you are, and likely lower humidity as well. The difference between "too hot" and "comfortable" is surprisingly small, so small geographic differences can have a big impact.
I wasn't comparing to my climate, but based on what he said "it's 30C outside, but I open the windows and it's 20C inside", which defies the laws of thermodynamics.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14776 posts
4152 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 7:53 pm
I wasn't comparing to my climate, but based on what he said "it's 30C outside, but I open the windows and it's 20C inside", which defies the laws of thermodynamics.
Thermodynamics you say?
What did you come here for?
I came here to complain
I'm sorry thats next door, its being hit on the head lessons in here...
Apr 28, 2014
207 posts
82 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
engineered wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 7:53 pm
I read it as him opening the windows at night to shed the heat. If you have good windows that allow for a cross-breeze, and good shading to the west and south, you can definitely cool by opening up the house at night to shed heat, and closing it up in the morning as needed.

Where I am (Waterloo), the seasonal low is never above 15 degrees, so it's very possible to keep the house comfortable in this way almost the whole year. There are usually stretches of a few days where this isn't true, when even at night it stays humid and warm, but not as a rule for too long.
Apr 22, 2018
1 posts
Ontario, April 2018 Bill
Condo, Single person
Work afternoons, shower at gym
Gas for heat and hot water

Average daily consumption Hydro 5.5 (kwh)
Average daily consumption Water 0.01 (m3)

Last bill:
Days 28

Electric
Usage $11.73
Delivery $21.46
Regulatory charges $ 0.82
Total electric charge: $34.01

Water
Usage water $1.33
Fixed charge water $20.96
Usage sewer $1.55
Fixed charge sewer $48.07
Total water and sewer charge: $71.91

HST $4.42
8% provincial rebate -$2.72 (liberal attempt at vote buying)

TOTAL BILL $107.62

Water charges are the new hydro charges where I live. Also note electric and water consumption does not have a lot to do with end result on bill. You can conserve all you want but will never get rid of all the other charges.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2004 posts
451 upvotes
Windsor
Whatitis wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2018 10:44 am
Ontario, April 2018 Bill
Condo, Single person
Work afternoons, shower at gym
Gas for heat and hot water

Average daily consumption Hydro 5.5 (kwh)
Average daily consumption Water 0.01 (m3)

Last bill:
Days 28

Electric
Usage $11.73
Delivery $21.46
Regulatory charges $ 0.82
Total electric charge: $34.01

Water
Usage water $1.33
Fixed charge water $20.96
Usage sewer $1.55
Fixed charge sewer $48.07
Total water and sewer charge: $71.91

HST $4.42
8% provincial rebate -$2.72 (liberal attempt at vote buying)

TOTAL BILL $107.62

Water charges are the new hydro charges where I live. Also note electric and water consumption does not have a lot to do with end result on bill. You can conserve all you want but will never get rid of all the other charges.
The water thing is partially true; I went from ~1cu.m/mo to ~10cu.m/mo (GF moved in), and my charges went from ~$40 to ~$70. And while water only went from $20 to $30, wastewater went from ~$20 to $40; need to include both when calculating, and I'm not sure what it's like where you are, but my water is $0.60, whereas wastewater is $2.40 (meaning water is actually $3/cu.m).

Electricity, on the other hand, at least for me, is largely dependent on consumption. When my house was empty, running minimal appliances (fridge w/beer, basically), my electricity only cost $15.33 (admittedly, May 2015). Now that I live at this house, and work from here, its more like $60 (Nov, 2017).
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Apr 30, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
I am like single condo guy, I have a 1100sq ft townhouse, live alone, gas heat, electric everything else, I average around 6kwh/day. I don't have a bunch of laundry, so I mostly air dry it, I with BBQ anytime I can make it thru the snow to BBQ, I run my dishwasher maybe once a week, I take very short showers, I use energy efficient lightbulbs, turn off all the lights if I am not in the room. I am guilty of having a water fountain for my cats that runs all the time, and I never turn off my computer, otherwise, really not much I could cut back on. I get my bill and think, why does it cost so much to deliver so little!!!
Jun 4, 2013
16 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver
6kw/H. 505sq apartment. I am out most of the time and only really have the PC on with the lights. Stove is on gas.
Oct 14, 2014
217 posts
141 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Over the past 18 months, between 22-39 kWh/day. Around 2200sqft, electric appliances but gas water tank and furnace. The household includes 2 people who are not very thermally flexible in summer so the A/C runs more than I wish.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1912 posts
570 upvotes
Mississauga
Daily average for May 2018 was 12.2kWh (11.7kWh in May 2017). Angry Face
Daily average for June 2018 is coming in at 13.9kWh(16kWh in June 2017) Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Former Enersource customers (Mississauga) should check out the new web portal, Alectra utilities just upgraded it by merging us into the powerstream portal. It should make hydro consumption tracking much easier.
Hourly view has been added. We have a new graph that overlays outdoor temperature as well as a way to compare consumption with other houses in your area. They also mentioned monthly billing starts this summer so that is a welcomed change too.

My hourly view from yesterday
Last edited by bubuski on Jul 20th, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2617 posts
530 upvotes
Edmonton
Summertine average 10kwh per day. And this includes running a compressor (80gal) tire machines and balancer and sometimes even welding.

Winter it gets much more as I gotta heat the garage aswell
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3388 posts
727 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
bubuski wrote:
Jun 26th, 2018 9:46 pm
Daily average for May 2018 was 12.2kWh (11.7kWh in June 2017). Angry Face
Daily average for June 2018 is coming in at 13.9kWh(16kWh in June 2017) Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Former Enersource customers (Mississauga) should check out the new web portal, Alectra utilities just upgraded it by merging us into the powerstream portal. It should make hydro consumption tracking much easier.
Hourly view has been added. We have a new graph that overlays outdoor temperature as well as a way to compare consumption with other houses in your area. They also mentioned monthly billing starts this summer so that is a welcomed change too.

My hourly view from yesterday
Had similar to yours for June 25 but not as smooth... max per hour was 2 kWh [only one hour at night] but most less then 1; Total less then 20.

Then June 29 with heat and used more then 20 just for On-Peak!! :(
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16470 posts
2128 upvotes
You guys are amazing, I'm at 102.69 KwH per day ... Disappointed But Relieved Face