Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14837 posts
4199 upvotes
coolspot wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 1:25 am
You guys are amazing, I'm at 102.69 KwH per day ... Disappointed But Relieved Face
Going where?
I have managed an entire month on that (fall, no heat, no dehumidifier)
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2014 posts
458 upvotes
Windsor
coolspot wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 1:25 am
You guys are amazing, I'm at 102.69 KwH per day ... Disappointed But Relieved Face
That can't be right; I don't think I could get that high if I tried. I had a 34kW day back when it was like 98° outside, and I think my A/C ran continuously all day.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14837 posts
4199 upvotes
ChubChub wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 11:33 am
That can't be right; I don't think I could get that high if I tried. I had a 34kW day back when it was like 98° outside, and I think my A/C ran continuously all day.
You could, open all your windows (and install a bigger AC) Smiling Face With Open Mouth
34kW/day is only 1417W/h, a space heater running constantly instead of your furnace in winter will do it. In fact your AC must not be very a large tonnage if it ran constantly, though that may have just been in the sunlight hours which would change the calculations
Was the 34kW averaged from ~1000 kW/month or did you check it on the constantly running day?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16472 posts
2135 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 1:47 am
Going where?
I have managed an entire month on that (fall, no heat, no dehumidifier)
I don't know ...

Here's my guess:
  • Computers: 10 KwH per day (400W x 24 hours)
  • Dehumidifier: 15 KwH (600W x 24 hours)
  • Central Air Conditioning: ???
  • Secondary A/C: 24 KWH (1KwH x 24 hours - but it has a variable compressor, so I don't think it's drawing this much per hour, plus I run it at silent / low)
  • General usage: 10 KWH (TV, LED lights, fridge, freezer, etc.)
So I guess my main AC is like 40KwH per day?

I think I'm going to invest in a watt meter or clamp meter.

Unfortunately my house is East/West facing, so the back of the house gets very hot in the morning and the front very hot in the afternoon. I work at home, so pretty much need the AC running 24 x 7. I reprogrammed my ecobee to leave the house temperature at 28 during the day ... and I'll rely on my ductless A/C to keep my home office cool. Hopefully that'll reduce electricity costs.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9178 posts
3131 upvotes
Brampton
coolspot wrote:
Jul 21st, 2018 2:19 pm
I don't know ...

Here's my guess:
  • Secondary A/C: 24 KWH (1KwH x 24 hours - but it has a variable compressor, so I don't think it's drawing this much per hour, plus I run it at silent / low)

Unfortunately my house is East/West facing, so the back of the house gets very hot in the morning and the front very hot in the afternoon. I work at home, so pretty much need the AC running 24 x 7. I reprogrammed my ecobee to leave the house temperature at 28 during the day ... and I'll rely on my ductless A/C to keep my home office cool. Hopefully that'll reduce electricity costs.
How old is your house?
I run anywhere from 300-400Wh continuous(idle load when home is occupied). My fridge periodically sneaks in there.
So 10KwH just back ground (general use) is high.

My active use breaks down to roughly:

1700-1800Wh central AC.
6KwH Dryer
100Wh Washer
80Wh dishwasher( no heat dry)
80Wh-150W TV (5 year old plasma)

I avg 20-30Kw a day last week and the weeks were 150-200Kw.

I get my readings from my Efergy Energy monitor.
I can actually run my house on a 2KW generator if I dont use AC and my dryer.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14837 posts
4199 upvotes
coolspot wrote:
I don't know ...

Here's my guess:

What is your computer doing with 400W, mine uses under 100W/hr and only runs half the day (if that).
Why does your dehumidifier use 15kWh, how old is it and if you have the AC running it should not need to use much if running at all...
How much your central air uses would be an interesting number to know, but hard to check, how large and how old is your house?
Why do you need a secondary A/C? How old and what size is it? If its duty cycle is not 100% then its not using a full 24kWh, you can test it with a kill a watt, though each day will be different depending on outdoor temps.
Your general usage is rather high but not completely outrageous, how old and how many fridges, how many and what wattage are bulbs, how old and usage for TV, stove, washer, dryer, etc?

What are your heating bills like in winter?

I would be interested in seeing your house because i bet much better can be done on the energy usage front, but i doubt we live in the same city, nor is my schedule very open these days.
Last edited by Quentin5 on Jul 21st, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2014 posts
458 upvotes
Windsor
Quentin5 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 3:52 pm
You could, open all your windows (and install a bigger AC) Smiling Face With Open Mouth
34kW/day is only 1417W/h, a space heater running constantly instead of your furnace in winter will do it. In fact your AC must not be very a large tonnage if it ran constantly, though that may have just been in the sunlight hours which would change the calculations
Was the 34kW averaged from ~1000 kW/month or did you check it on the constantly running day?
LOL, that is true. I just looked at my daily consumption. Average is WAY less than that ... probably more like 13kW, if I was to guess. Without being silly, I'd realistically need to be cooking all day, and have my house set at 64°F, to get anywhere near 100kW/day. Admittedly, my home is "small", at ~1,300sq.ft, but it's also got some serious leaks (WIP) that an average home should not have, so there's that.
coolspot wrote:
I don't know ...

Here's my guess:

coolspot wrote:
Here's my guess:

I knew very little about your situation, but it seems like your consumption is astronomical for "normal use", unless your home is quite old, and/or enormous. Your "hot office" issue could probably be largely resolved with a little bit of time put into re-balancing your HVAC system (or even something as simple as removing the register cover, potentially reducing your monitor brightness, replacing monitor(s) with LED versions, or enabling power saving features for your hardware).

Your computer(s) should probably consume nowhere near 400w; my Q6600 (notorious power consumer), 5770, and 2x older 24" LCDs (also heavy heat-generators, by today's standards) consumed nowhere near that, unless I was rendering, but even then. My current computer, with 3x 24" monitors, a 1070, an 8-core processor, and 5 storage devices, consumes 112w ... and it has a few virtual machines running in it as well. Without the monitors, it's ~80w, and runs 24/7. I work from home as well.

Just saying, with a bit of effort, I bet you can make a VERY large dent in your power consumption; I'd love to see the results from a Kill-A-Watt (might even want to buy a couple, if you want to get results that much faster; some libraries will lend them out too). Unless, of course, your house is a 1950s 4,000sq.ft place or something, then that large consumption might make more sense.

If you have smart-home devices, you can potentially get whole home energy monitors for cheap. I bought one for like $22CAD (though it was on clearance, Aeon Labs Dsb09104), and clamp it to whatever I want. A clamping device is probably the cheapest way to ascertain your A/C's ACTUAL power consumption, without simply taking the manufacturer's specifications as fact. Anything that plugs in, obviously the Kill-A-Watt is awesome.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1946 posts
593 upvotes
Mississauga
Dehumidifier and A/C do not really run 24/7. They might be ON 50% of the time which will be 12hrs of use daily. As mentioned above get a kilowatt and figure out your phantom loads, I use a similar device to keep a tab on our real time usage.

That hourly chart that I posted for June 26th was actually a day we both worked from home. I use two laptops + one 24" LED monitor and my wife only uses just a laptop. It was a mild day so A/C use was minimal and we consumed less than 14kWh .
House stayed less than 23.5C but if we had to use the A/C(2ton SEER 16) ours consumes 1.1kWh for each hour so still way off your normal consumption.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14837 posts
4199 upvotes
ChubChub wrote:
Jul 21st, 2018 5:36 pm
LOL, that is true. I just looked at my daily consumption. Average is WAY less than that ... probably more like 13kW, if I was to guess. Without being silly, I'd realistically need to be cooking all day, and have my house set at 64°F, to get anywhere near 100kW/day. Admittedly, my home is "small", at ~1,300sq.ft, but it's also got some serious leaks (WIP) that an average home should not have, so there's that.
I understand. My average consumption per month is probably 250kWh/month averaged through the year because my house is also very old and inefficient and leaky, its only the shoulder seasons i can do ~100kWh/month. That said if i could repair the house without tearing it down and insulate i could average 125-150kWh/month easily year round.
But its not actually hard to use astronomical amounts of juice, i once rented a room in a house with 3500kWh/month usage, the upstairs people used AC like crazy and left all the windows open all year round...
I used to joke the cops were going to show up one day convinced there was a grow op...
It never happened but i do know someone who had the electric utility show up because he was not using any juice, he had a solar/battery system so was "off grid" 8-9 months a year
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4213 posts
450 upvotes
Barrys Bay
So after trying to save $ on hydro bills( blindsided just turning off devices and not doing anything else ) , I've decided to watch our energy consumption.

Our house is split shift and 2 people, so there is someone up in house for 20 hours of the day during weekdays.

My method is using hydroone's TOU webpage, and using a TP-Link HS110 plug in energy monitor smart plug ( Paid $27 prime day, versus $20-30 for a kill-a-watt ) and can still uses smart plug to auto on/off devices for energy usage

Currently without energy savings
In past month:
- AVG Weekday Daily is 22.5 kWh
- AVG Weekend Daily is 28.1 kWh

Using the TP-Link HS110, and some manual paperwork ( as otherwaise have to reset to factory settings to reset energy consumption - basic math each time I plugged in another device).

I did some run of appliances and devices and was surprised at some of the outcomes of our wastage, the SHOCKERS:

* The biggest shocker as running 100% LED's in house is that, even though 10 watts, we are runniig 10-12 when someone is not in room at all....this adds up to be 100 watts at 8 hours a day = 0.8 kWh day
* TV and PVR are using 150 watts, and left on for 2 + hours with no one watching, so 0.3 kWh day wasted
* Our Keurig uses 25 watts when on standby( auto pre-heat ), thats 0.6kWh a day, so changed it to manual power on/off now using 150 watts a day
* 2 - Cheap fans, running 35 watts on low, 40 watts on medium and 50 watts on high running 24/7 with the heat wave on high = 2.4kWh day
* Dyson DC07 Fan, on 1 uses 7 watts, 5 uses 20 watts on high uses 51 watts - had on high 24/7 = 1.2kWh day
* 2 laptops plugged in 24/7 = 90 watts each while charging and while using and charged 40 watts each......each used 6 hours day......so 0.48kWh day while using plugged in.
* Weekend only TV and PVR uses 20 watts in standby so 0.48kWh a day so in 5 days wasting almost 2 kWh

Out biggest usage is our electric hot water tank, uses approximatly 5-6kWh a day ( watching shower times and TOU portal ) as can't monitor 240V appliances.

My goal is to take it to 16 kWh on weekdays, and 20 kWh on weekends, using smart plugs to power off non-essential devices/appliances so the next 2 weeks maybe tweaks to schedules and see how works out in a month
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2014 posts
458 upvotes
Windsor
theguyz wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2018 11:43 am
So after trying to save $ on hydro bills( blindsided just turning off devices and not doing anything else ) , I've decided to watch our energy consumption.

Our house is split shift and 2 people, so there is someone up in house for 20 hours of the day during weekdays.

My method is using hydroone's TOU webpage, and using a TP-Link HS110 plug in energy monitor smart plug ( Paid $27 prime day, versus $20-30 for a kill-a-watt ) and can still uses smart plug to auto on/off devices for energy usage

Currently without energy savings
In past month:
- AVG Weekday Daily is 22.5 kWh
- AVG Weekend Daily is 28.1 kWh

Using the TP-Link HS110, and some manual paperwork ( as otherwaise have to reset to factory settings to reset energy consumption - basic math each time I plugged in another device).

I did some run of appliances and devices and was surprised at some of the outcomes of our wastage, the SHOCKERS:

* The biggest shocker as running 100% LED's in house is that, even though 10 watts, we are runniig 10-12 when someone is not in room at all....this adds up to be 100 watts at 8 hours a day = 0.8 kWh day
* TV and PVR are using 150 watts, and left on for 2 + hours with no one watching, so 0.3 kWh day wasted
* Our Keurig uses 25 watts when on standby( auto pre-heat ), thats 0.6kWh a day, so changed it to manual power on/off now using 150 watts a day
* 2 - Cheap fans, running 35 watts on low, 40 watts on medium and 50 watts on high running 24/7 with the heat wave on high = 2.4kWh day
* Dyson DC07 Fan, on 1 uses 7 watts, 5 uses 20 watts on high uses 51 watts - had on high 24/7 = 1.2kWh day
* 2 laptops plugged in 24/7 = 90 watts each while charging and while using and charged 40 watts each......each used 6 hours day......so 0.48kWh day while using plugged in.
* Weekend only TV and PVR uses 20 watts in standby so 0.48kWh a day so in 5 days wasting almost 2 kWh

Out biggest usage is our electric hot water tank, uses approximatly 5-6kWh a day ( watching shower times and TOU portal ) as can't monitor 240V appliances.

My goal is to take it to 16 kWh on weekdays, and 20 kWh on weekends, using smart plugs to power off non-essential devices/appliances so the next 2 weeks maybe tweaks to schedules and see how works out in a month
The ones you have look to be $30 right now; not quite as cheap, but if you need more of them ...

I know it's not much, but those plugs draw ~2w while doing nothing themselves; just something to consider (I didn't, and my Hue/SmartThings hub + all the plug-in devices draw [when off] about 20w continuously. While it's largely negligible, just something to consider.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14837 posts
4199 upvotes
theguyz wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2018 11:43 am
This is only about 6kWh/day
Turn off fans when your not in the room, they actually make things warmer but they feel cool because they cause your body to evaporate water quicker so if your not in the room they are wasted energy
I'd be surprised if that is all your water tank uses.
So far you have only accounted for about half your use. That said your fridge may be 1-2kWh/day (worth measuring), your washing machine 0.25-0.5kWh/load (worth measuring) and your dryer ~5kWh per load. I'm assuming you have no central air? Electric or gas stove?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4213 posts
450 upvotes
Barrys Bay
ChubChub wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2018 9:01 pm
The ones you have look to be $30 right now; not quite as cheap, but if you need more of them ...

I know it's not much, but those plugs draw ~2w while doing nothing themselves; just something to consider (I didn't, and my Hue/SmartThings hub + all the plug-in devices draw [when off] about 20w continuously. While it's largely negligible, just something to consider.
I already have a bunch of non-energy monitors, just needed something to monitor actual usage.

As for the power consumption, in my mind its neglectable if I can take a 20 watt standby device off for 12 hours so 240 watts down to 24 watts I will be happy.

Although cost of savings per device maybe something to consider in future, as my cheapest smart plugs where $20 and to save 100 watts per day per plug in, over a month 3 kWh saved but only saving $0.50-$0.60 after delivery fee's.
Last edited by theguyz on Jul 24th, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4213 posts
450 upvotes
Barrys Bay
Quentin5 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2018 1:16 am
This is only about 6kWh/day
Turn off fans when your not in the room, they actually make things warmer but they feel cool because they cause your body to evaporate water quicker so if your not in the room they are wasted energy
As I said those where my shockers, have alot of energy wasters I knew or had a good idea about.

I honestly didn't think fans drew that much wattage....but sneaks up just like lighting very quickly.
I'd be surprised if that is all your water tank uses.
Using TOU using 4-5 kWh when taking showers on hour of and next, same as when doing dishes, and I have to manually subtract normal electricity usage and come around 5.5 kWh for the water tank, unfortunitly I would need a clamp on meter to measure its true usage and standby and holding consumption.
So far you have only accounted for about half your use. That said your fridge may be 1-2kWh/day (worth measuring), your washing machine 0.25-0.5kWh/load (worth measuring) and your dryer ~5kWh per load. I'm assuming you have no central air? Electric or gas stove?
I measured fridge and AVG out a 100 watts an hour so 2.4 kWh and out freezer AVG's out at 50 watts an hour( 1.2kWh ), dryer was usually used on weekends for 4-5 loads at easily 20-25 kwh( can see TOU go way up ), but with the temps this year we are hanging cloths on clothsline to dry and only using tumble air dry setting for colder days , but as well need a true clamp on meter to measure its wattage correctly

Cooking on stove is also a heavy hitter........
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16472 posts
2135 upvotes
ChubChub wrote:
Jul 21st, 2018 5:36 pm
I knew very little about your situation, but it seems like your consumption is astronomical for "normal use", unless your home is quite old, and/or enormous. Your "hot office" issue could probably be largely resolved with a little bit of time put into re-balancing your HVAC system (or even something as simple as removing the register cover, potentially reducing your monitor brightness, replacing monitor(s) with LED versions, or enabling power saving features for your hardware).

Your computer(s) should probably consume nowhere near 400w; my Q6600 (notorious power consumer), 5770, and 2x older 24" LCDs (also heavy heat-generators, by today's standards) consumed nowhere near that, unless I was rendering, but even then. My current computer, with 3x 24" monitors, a 1070, an 8-core processor, and 5 storage devices, consumes 112w ... and it has a few virtual machines running in it as well. Without the monitors, it's ~80w, and runs 24/7. I work from home as well.
Home office (bedroom) is on top of the garage, so during the afternoon room temperature hits 30+ degrees, I had to put a dedicated air conditioner in the office to keep it cool. Unfortunately it happens to be one of the further rooms from the central AC, so no amount of rebalancing will provide adequate airflow to keep the room cool.

As for the computers, I don't think that's the primary energy draw. I do have several severs in the basement, plus a work laptop and personal desktop, and also a few other laptops for the rest of the family. Even being "generous" at 400W, that only accounts for 10 KwH hours which is 10% of my daily consumption... something else must be using the 90 KwH which I think is the central AC.