Green / Eco-Friendly

How many m3 (natural gas) do you use per month?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2017 6:07 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7143 posts
906 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
CSK'sMom wrote:
Mar 11th, 2011 9:02 pm
I think temp wise, we've been about the same, give or take a few degrees here and there. The windows made and still make a big difference for us. They are top of the line windows that we got a great deal on at the time. We were on a gas contract the yr before the new windows and the yr of so price was the same. The Enbridge weather calculation was that the yr with the new windows was actually 5% colder yet we used 25% less gas. I will say that we purposefully bought the south side for solar gain in the winter as we face east/west. I get full sun more than half way through the house at any given time of the day through the winter months. My kitchen is at the back of the house with an east exposure and my living room is at the front with a west exposure... Now the kicker, we still have the original builders furnace in the house that is 22 yrs old! We certainly can't justify putting a new furnace in at this point until we absolutely have to as we seriously doubt we'll see any real cost savings. :confused:

A south facing is definitely nice in the winter. It is amazing how much difference the sun makes (of course the sun has to actually come out once and awhile). For us the south side is pretty much shaded by the neighbours. We get the west side sun in the windows which always warms the place up. We did put the UV film on the windows though this past summer (to protect the new furniture) and I find it blocks some of the heat. Good in the summer but not so nice in the winter.

Temperature in Niagara Falls is about 3C warmer than here on average. That works out to 40-50m3 for us so you are still doing great, especially with an old furnace. Is it high efficiency? Would be hard to justify the expense in your case. I guess at some point you will have to get a new one. It would be interesting to see if there is much difference. We had a mid efficiency at our other house (1100sqft, attached end unit, north side) and used about 3.07m3 per day. This house has a high efficiency (1650sqft, detatched) and we use 3.11m3 per day (year average). So many variables so really difficult to attribute it all to the furnace only.
Aug 30, 2007
960 posts
15 upvotes
2050 single house a year old, unfinished basement, 9ft ceiling, temp set to 73 24hrs/day(ppl always home), natural gas water tank.

Nov - 350m3
Dec - 375 m3
Jan - 962m3 :-0

we have done nothing differently, the weather was a little colder in jan then Nov/Dec, but wow almost 3x the amount we used?!? Whats the best way to find out if theres any leaks in the house? thermal imaging?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7143 posts
906 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
chen0289 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2012 4:32 pm
anyone?

It is a big jump from Nov to Dec but that is common. I suspect most people will be almost double. Your jump may be on the high side.

For best way to find out why, I guess an energy audit. Thermal imaging also seems to be a good tool. Never done it myself so I can't really comment, though I wouldn't mind seeing it in a couple of rooms in our house. See it on tv and seems to show cold spots well. What you can do about them is always the tricky part.
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
10988 posts
1373 upvotes
Markham
chen0289 wrote:
Feb 4th, 2012 8:25 am
2050 single house a year old, unfinished basement, 9ft ceiling, temp set to 73 24hrs/day(ppl always home), natural gas water tank.

Nov - 350m3
Dec - 375 m3

we have done nothing differently, the weather was a little colder in jan then Nov/Dec, but wow almost 3x the amount we used?!? Whats the best way to find out if theres any leaks in the house? thermal imaging?

Also go outside by the meter and see if you smell gas, (leaking gas)
80TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 60TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
40TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
11TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2012 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro / 6TB HP Mediasmart EX 485
Aug 30, 2007
960 posts
15 upvotes
Keigotw wrote:
Feb 6th, 2012 8:18 pm
Also go outside by the meter and see if you smell gas, (leaking gas)

can't smell anything... booked a thermal test scan date next week... we will see
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7143 posts
906 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
chen0289 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2012 4:22 pm
can't smell anything... booked a thermal test scan date next week... we will see

Let us know how it turns out and the cost. I am curious what you see and what suggestions they provide for fixing.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2270 posts
473 upvotes
Figures rounded to nearest 10 m3

Aug- 30
Sep- 40
Oct- 150
Nov- 320
Dec- 460
Jan- 650

125 yo, 3000sf double brick victorian, two and a half story, Lennox g61v 90k btu furnace @95% eff. 50 gallon pv water heater. family of four
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
17388 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I too sometimes hope that something is wrong with the meter but unfortunately, it just costs a lot of money to heat houses in the winter in Ontario. :P I think it's easier to swallow somewhat if you don't do the stupid equal billing and just cough up what you use month to month... it's like ripping off a bandage. In general at least you know you are only going to have 2 or 3 of the high bills and the rest of the year will be smooth sailing.

You of course are better off in a townhouse than a detached as you have less exterior walls and usually a much smaller roof footprint as townhouses tend to be skinny tall things.

Good thing natural gas is cheap right now, if it goes back to historical highs it's gonna hurt big time.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3118 posts
418 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
chen0289 wrote:
Feb 4th, 2012 8:25 am

Nov - 350m3
Dec - 375 m3

Some of your bills are probably estimates and others actual readings. That alone can skew your numbers.
Apr 16, 2009
495 posts
71 upvotes
98 year old 2000 sq ft 2.5 story, with 650 sq ft heated basement in Winnipeg. We added quite a bit of new insulation at the end of November so usage is lower in December than November even though the temperature was a bit lower. The heating system is a gas boiler 83% efficiency, we don't use gas for anything else.

Jan 850 daily: 24.3 Avg temp: -10.8
Dec 596 daily: 20.5 Avg temp: -7.1
Nov 649 daily: 19.6 Avg temp: -4.2
Oct 282 daily: 10.1 Avg temp: 5.8
Sep 78 daily: 2.8 Avg temp: 13.6

We just went through the ecoEnergy program so we had an energy audit done which ranks the house at 53 out of 100 up from 17 before the upgrades.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2348 posts
937 upvotes
Toronto
Received my first full month bill of my current house.
It says I used 27 m3 of gas. I'm pretty happy with that and I've yet to try and be conservative with my usage. I'm just wondering what are the common uses of natural gas in a house?
My water heater is natural gas and I definitely use a lot of hot water as I've been taking multiple showers every day (morning and night).
And I'm not 100% sure but I think my dryer and stove also uses natural gas.
My furnace uses gas too but I haven't used that yet.

Also, if I'm using 27 m3 now, what would you think my usage would be in the winter when it will obviously go way up due to furnace usage?
I live in a small detached house FWIW.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1615 posts
316 upvotes
Windsor
crystallight wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 12:30 pm
It says I used 27 m3 of gas. I'm pretty happy with that and I've yet to try and be conservative with my usage. I'm just wondering what are the common uses of natural gas in a house?
My water heater is natural gas and I definitely use a lot of hot water as I've been taking multiple showers every day (morning and night).

Also, if I'm using 27 m3 now, what would you think my usage would be in the winter when it will obviously go way up due to furnace usage?
Size of home, where you live, insulation levels, your personal comfort requirements, what appliances use gas, how many people in the home / how often you shower / how long you shower, etc etc ... would matter way more than gas usage during summer months. I have gas everything (except stove), and my last month's usage was 26m³; this is basically warming the HWT, for the most part, and my hot water tank isn't awesome (2 adults).

Based on the information you provided, I'd say winter consumption will be between 27m³ and 1000m³.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4441 posts
2071 upvotes
Edmonton
crystallight wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 12:30 pm

It probably won't help, but it's not logical to expect a useful answer to your question anyway (since nobody knows anything about your house besides it's small and detached). But we used almost 8 times more gas in January than we did in July. We have a small 2 story home, built long ago. HWT, furnace, and stove are gas, dryer is electric.

C