• Dec 6th, 2018 6:15 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2586 posts
450 upvotes
Mississauga
This year 5 times so far. I have one more planned for december.
Jun 27, 2007
191 posts
26 upvotes
California
Between work and personal, probably 6-8 times a year.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1753 posts
763 upvotes
50 return for work and 4 return for pleasure.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
10300 posts
5275 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I hate flying and couldn’t imagine having to do it for work! Luckily I never need to so if I fly it’s for vacations. Usually 2x a year.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4141 posts
252 upvotes
Not enough!

2-4x trips/year for holiday.

Although this year I may try for 6.
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4127 posts
976 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 8:37 pm
I hate flying and couldn’t imagine having to do it for work! Luckily I never need to so if I fly it’s for vacations. Usually 2x a year.
I used to love flying for work because travel time counted as work time without actually needing to work. Most I ever did was about 100 times in a year ('commuting' to another country to work on Monday and back on Friday).
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
10300 posts
5275 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Manatus wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 8:51 pm
I used to love flying for work because travel time counted as work time without actually needing to work. Most I ever did was about 100 times in a year ('commuting' to another country to work on Monday and back on Friday).
No doubt being paid for work not needing to actually work is great! But I dread the security line ups and sitting inside the tuna can. I don’t have any phobias, but just don’t enjoy flying.

One of my good friends is an expat in Dubai and flys 3 to 4 times a week for meetings. He leaves in the AM and is back by dinner. That’s just nuts to me lol
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4127 posts
976 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 8:59 pm
No doubt being paid for work not needing to actually work is great! But I dread the security line ups and sitting inside the tuna can. I don’t have any phobias, but just don’t enjoy flying.

One of my good friends is an expat in Dubai and flys 3 to 4 times a week for meetings. He leaves in the AM and is back by dinner. That’s just nuts to me lol
Yeah I can totally agree with that. I'd never have done it on a daily basis. In fact being able to live in a hotel, collect points and expense everything was a major part of the draw too. ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1308 posts
436 upvotes
I do about 3 personal trips per year, and a couple for work. Work stuff only started about last 3 years, but the personal trips have been going on since 2006 when i caught the travel bug.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4438 posts
264 upvotes
Going to finish exactly at 50 segments by the end of this year, last year I made a December push to hit 100 segments.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6650 posts
4168 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
These days... 1 to 3 trips times a year (2 to 10 segments) ... and all related to vacation
Retirement being right around the corner

In my 20s and 30s used to fly / commute every week for work

Travel for work isn’t all it’s cracked up to be

2 things make it bearable...

A) An understanding Exployer
1- Good Vacation Benefits (3 to 6+ weeks dependent on seniority)
2- Ability to put in a flexible work week ... fly in Sunday Night or Monday Morning... and fly out Thursday Night or Friday Morning
3- Allows for Travel Swaps... instead of them paying for you to fly home every week... is ok with exchanging that for a Spouse / Family Member to fly where you are working instead

And...

B) The advent of the Loyalty Programs.

Before these back in the 1970s & 1980s were tough... unless you had a Mega Expense Account
Now I do the work
Employer pays the freight
And I get the Loyalty Credits
Makes it all that more bearable being away from home Weeks / months at a time
Last edited by PointsHubby on Nov 30th, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jan 8, 2012
458 posts
184 upvotes
Williams Lake
I've flown once or twice a year for the past 6 years. Pleasure only. Usually 8 to 10 segments.

Just finished flying around the world: 33,000 miles, 19 segments in 30 days.

Needless to say, I love to fly.

I've already booked my next trip (assuming something doesn't pop up between then and now).
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1546 posts
561 upvotes
Tokyo
About 60 trips this year, 10 of which were personal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
1999 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
Impressive numbers for some here, thanks for the replies.

Follow up questions, for those who have travelled extensively within Canada and the U.S

1-what is your favorite Canadian and U.S airport? By favorite it could also mean one that you feel comfortable, familiar and easy to navigate.

2-for those that travel more than 2 times a year and assuming you are not just flying but doing a full vacation, how do you budget or save for your travel? We are a family of 3 and I save $75-100 a paycheck and even that is barely enough for one vacation (barely $2000 in savings a year). I have taken advantage of my RBC Avion points (used $500 to top up a Vegas vacation) but even that is not enough.
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day