• Dec 6th, 2018 6:15 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17986 posts
2661 upvotes
GTA West
I guess twice per year typically for personal travel, in a round trip.

But this was a busy year due to work, as such I had 8 flights in 2018.
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3491 posts
408 upvotes
When I used to live in London, I would travel (for leisure) about 7 or 8 times a year. Everyone gets at least 5 weeks of vacation in the UK, so I would split 4 trips of one week each. These week-long trips would be 9 days long (leave Saturday morning then come back Sunday night a week later) and I'd just stick to one country or region for the whole trip (Turkey, Morocco, etc). Exception would be to Canada for Christmas. These would be evenly distributed throughout the year (March, June, Sept, and Dec).

Then, the remaining 5 days of vacation are used to pad on to long weekends for city breaks, like going to Paris or Amsterdam. I'd have these 3 or 4 city breaks in a year, and they'd be done in between those one-week trips. So I'd travel for leisure every 1.5 months.

Now that I'm back in Canada, I've traveled 3 times this year.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
1934 posts
414 upvotes
Toronto
I love to fly but only manage to do 2-3 leisure trips per year at the most, this year only 2 return trips so far but with more and more sites offering deals, collecting airmiles and aeroplan miles and increased spare time and affordability I am hoping to up the number of trips in near future.
With grown up kids having busy itineraries I am starting to explore solo travel and sites offering group packages, any one here has any experience in that regard?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3762 posts
340 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
I'm working on my doctorate so I usually travel 6-7 times/year to present at various conferences. I generally extend these trips to have a bit of leisure time wherever I go.
May 11, 2008
520 posts
166 upvotes
Vancouver
For personal I fly at least once a year (then I'll book additional flights once I get to my destination).
Then for business, if it's a slow year I'll fly 2 times but if it's a busy year about 15 times.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
1835 posts
371 upvotes
THORNHILL
Do you guys get compensated for flying from your company?
I know a lot in the banking sector are only paid salary (no overtime) when going on assignment away from the office.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1100 posts
396 upvotes
durrsak wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 8:47 am
I know a lot in the banking sector are only paid salary (no overtime) when going on assignment away from the office.
Every medium / big company has some travel policies, in generally it is
51$ per day for personal meals and, if necessary, bills for business restaurant meetings,
2 travel/flight days compensated as one paid day, of course compensation for
all flights, hotel and taxi / car rent. Longer trips can include cinema/entertainment/recreational activities.
Person in business trip , in general, collects points from CC and from hotels/airlines
and uses it for vacations. If traveler is in strong position, he/she can negotiate
long layovers in interesting places, even negotiate his/her company paying for companion.

Cheers!
Dec 19, 2005
339 posts
238 upvotes
Ottawa
I've flown 83 segments this year - I couldn't tell you how many trips. 76 so far on Air Canada (with two more to go - I think)...
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1614 posts
744 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
About 6x time a year (12 segments for personal trips)

This year about twice a month for business (4 segments/mo)

—so about 60 flights per year
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1614 posts
744 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
durrsak wrote:
I am paid my usual salary for the hours between 9-5pm. My flights tend to fall before or after these hours so I am paid an hourly rate. The extra hours accumulated are also banked into “lieu days” that can be used as personal or vacation. So if I fly down to Cancun today and have to attend some meetings but won’t fly home until 8pm tonight I can use the extra hours to take a lieu day later in the week or the future.

For me having extra vacation time is nice because if I have a meeting on a Friday I can fly down my husband and make a long weekend out of it. I work for an airline so he gets the same privledges as I do. You can beat a 3 day weekend for $300-$400. We fondly refer to it as going to the “cottage” for the weekend lol
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1614 posts
744 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
durrsak wrote:
I am paid my usual salary for the hours between 9-5pm. My flights tend to fall before or after these hours so I am paid an hourly rate. The extra hours accumulated are also banked into “lieu days” that can be used as personal or vacation. So if I fly down to Cancun today and have to attend some meetings but won’t fly home until 8pm tonight I can use the extra hours to take a lieu day later in the week or the future.

For me having extra vacation time is nice because if I have a meeting on a Friday I can fly down my husband and make a long weekend out of it. I work for an airline so he gets the same privledges as I do. You can beat a 3 day weekend for $300-$400. We fondly refer to it as going to the “cottage” for the weekend lol
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1100 posts
396 upvotes
meagicano wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 7:45 am
I've flown 83 segments this year - I couldn't tell you how many trips. 76 so far on Air Canada (with two more to go - I think)...
Good! Now you, probably, can fly 5 times around the world on points! :-)

Cheers!
Aug 16, 2009
930 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
What's a segment vs trip vs leg, etc.... ?