Health & Wellness

How many of you are self conscious of your body seen by the public?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2017 2:56 pm
Tags:

Poll: Are you self concious of your body type seen by the public?

• Total votes: 27. You have voted on this poll.
Yes, very

30%
Yes, a little

44%
I used to, but not anymore

11%
Not at all, I couldn't care less about what others think when they see me

15%
Sep 4, 2016
904 posts
350 upvotes

How many of you are self conscious of your body seen by the public?

I ask this because it's one of the top issues that people are going through today, of all ages.

I will give an example. I have a friend's kid who is super worried about his body and how others see and judge him in person. So much that he actually wears multiple super thick heavy sweaters under his clothes and shoulder pads to cover up his skinniness and to make him look buff. But as you can imagine in the summer months, it would get pretty uncomfortable really quick from overheating.

I used to be super self conscious when I was younger, a teen and into my early adult years. You obviously want to be as attractive as you can be to the opposite sex. But as I have gotten older and matured, you soon realize that there are far more important things in life than having a perfect body for the opposite sex.

I have always been skinny and tall, it used to bother me for many years but as I got older, I cared less and less. Yes I am skinny and I have chicken legs (for when I wear shorts), but IMO it's about being comfortable in your own skin. Now, I just don't care what others think when they see me. If they want to judge you by your body type and shape, then they're not good people.

But over I think its a maturity thing. From what Ive noticed, people who have matured as they got older just dont care about stuff like this.
"It took eight years for DDP Yoga to become an overnight sensation" - Diamond Dallas Page
13 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1866 posts
339 upvotes
Monday to friday ..yes
Weekends i don't give a damn
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
...I used to be super self conscious when I was younger...I have always been skinny and tall, it used to bother me for many years but as I got older, I cared less and less. Yes I am skinny and I have chicken legs (for when I wear shorts), but IMO it's about being comfortable in your own skin. Now, I just don't care what others think when they see me. If they want to judge you by your body type and shape, then they're not good people...
Why don't u post a selfie in this thread, then?
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
345 upvotes
In another world
Move to the North Pole.
With eternal Winter you'll wear layers and layers and nobody will judge you.
In fact, there won't be anyone around.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
There is a lot of bullying in school. So, it's possible the OP's friend's kid just wants to avoid being a target. After finishing school, some ppl continue bullying in the workplace, social circle, etc. However, people who are bullied have more options to get away from it. U would think people get more mature as they get older, but a lot of them remain in the same maturity level for the rest of their lives. Some may argue that Donald Trump is an example of that, esp. when you look at the comments he made about women's looks, etc. So, for people who were self-conscious when they were younger, they may feel better when they aren't always under constant pressure from their peer group. But, imagine getting married and then your spouse tells u that you've let yourself go and starts having affairs. I'm sure there are a lot of self-conscious adults out there.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
677 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
When you get to my age no one looks twice at you anymore, if they ever did in the first place. So my clothes are clean, in good repair, and relatively in style. Take a shower 2x per day and visit the hairdresser regularly. That's about it.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
Well, women have always had to deal with unwanted attention and sexual harassment RIP Roger Ailes, lol.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
DiamondDallasPage wrote: ...I think its a maturity thing. From what Ive noticed, people who have matured as they got older just dont care about stuff like this.
A lot of old ppl are worried about their looks, lol. Why do u think they pay zillions on varicose vein removal, face lifts, tummy tucks, etc?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2015
1124 posts
1674 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
DiamondDallasPage wrote: I ask this because it's one of the top issues that people are going through today, of all ages.

I will give an example. I have a friend's kid who is super worried about his body and how others see and judge him in person. So much that he actually wears multiple super thick heavy sweaters under his clothes and shoulder pads to cover up his skinniness and to make him look buff. But as you can imagine in the summer months, it would get pretty uncomfortable really quick from overheating.

I used to be super self conscious when I was younger, a teen and into my early adult years. You obviously want to be as attractive as you can be to the opposite sex. But as I have gotten older and matured, you soon realize that there are far more important things in life than having a perfect body for the opposite sex.

I have always been skinny and tall, it used to bother me for many years but as I got older, I cared less and less. Yes I am skinny and I have chicken legs (for when I wear shorts), but IMO it's about being comfortable in your own skin. Now, I just don't care what others think when they see me. If they want to judge you by your body type and shape, then they're not good people.

But over I think its a maturity thing. From what Ive noticed, people who have matured as they got older just dont care about stuff like this.
I have anxiety for a plethora of other reasons, I wouldn't need to include "body-type" to the list, so no. Also I'm not sexually attracted to either sex, so this reason was always largely irrelevant to me.
Pronouns: She/Her/They/Them/Mx
Kept Amazon.ca Sorting Tool: https://katrina.life/s/
* A google ad cover's bandwidth
NoAF CB Combo:
(1) 4%/1.5% Simplii (2) 3% BMO CB (3) 2% Tang (4) 2%/1.25% Amex SC (5) 2% (Cell warranty) Desjardins
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4103 posts
269 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
I don't care about other people, and what they think. People that spend time judging others have issues with their inner self.
Traveling 😁
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
^ A lot of people judge because they don't like other people "bringing down the average". For example, in the Home and Garden forum, someone had a thread about their neighbour having an overgrown yard. Most ppl disapproved of an overgrown yard, saying things like "have some pride" in where u live. I think we would all like to live in a neighbourhood where ppl took pride in how their residence looked, rather than having multiple cars parked on the front lawn, cars on cinder blocks, paint peeling, etc.

We live in a society. You are not a hermit living on ur private island. We all gotta be somewhat mindful of the other ppl we encounter in our daily lives. So, it is selfish to say u don't care what others think and what bothers other ppl.
Jun 18, 2017
218 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver
There's no option for "no, because I look awesome and am constantly ROCKING IT"
That's my name...