Home & Garden

How much am I obligated to shovel snow off my own property?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2015 10:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1995 posts
473 upvotes
I would say just get out and shovel, dont be selfish , Be a good neighbour, Think about elderly people, people in wheel chairs or even moms with stroller. As soon as it stops snowing get out and shovel, it is a lot easier than when all the snow is packed down.

Here in our city the bylaw person comes by, first gives you a warning, if it is not cleaned up you get a ticket (if you don't pay it will be tacked on to your property tax bill) and if you still havn't shoveld the city will send a crew out to clean it up for you and then the bill will be big.

So taking 10 min out of your schedule to shovel, is a small price to pay
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
It's funny how such a seemingly simple thing encompasses so many rules that it's not straight forward. Lets go with everything said in this thread.

Your walkways (not including city sidewalks), steps, and driveway:
Owned by you
No obligation to clear this off. You can't be fined for "not clearing the snow".
If someone slips and hurts themselves (wether cleared or not) they can go after you and you or your house insurance could have to pay for damages. This is true for anywhere on your property, even inside your house.

Bottom 5 feet of driveway:
Not owned by you.
No obligation to clear this off.
If someone slips and hurts themselves (wether cleared or not) you have no legal responsibility, the city does.

City sidewalks touching your property:
Not owned by you
You can be fined for not clearing them.
If someone slips and hurts themselves (wether cleared or not) you have no legal responsibility, the city does.

All that being said if you're only interested in not being sued by someone i'd clear the sidewalks to avoid bylaw fines but never clear any snow off your property. It might be difficult and annoying for someone to slog through a foot of snow but if they fall it's less likely they'll get injured. If you do clear your own steps/driveway and live in a snowy/icy area you'd have to use a metric assload of salt/sand to ensure no one slips.
Dec 8, 2009
353 posts
61 upvotes
But I found walkway covered with snow is actually safer. Not slippery at all.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1843 posts
526 upvotes
t3359 wrote: We don't have sidewalks :)

bjl
We don't have sidewalks, or neighbors :cheesygri :cheesygri
Jan 5, 2015
615 posts
165 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
camzie wrote: Most municipalities have bylaws on clearing snow as well. So you could be fined by the city, sued by a third party, plus you're being a disrespectful neighbour.
^

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)