Page 1 of 1

How much do emissions tests cost?

Posted: Nov 5th, 2009 9:32 pm
by m4gician
Hey guys,

I wanted to get my emissions test done for the purpose of sticker renewal (it's due for one), and I was wondering how much do they typically cost?

I'm in the Toronto, Ontario area. I was hearing I could get it done for $40, but that seems too good to be true.

Re: How much do emissions tests cost?

Posted: Nov 5th, 2009 9:33 pm
by Donomight25
m4gician wrote: Hey guys,

I wanted to get my emissions test done for the purpose of sticker renewal (it's due for one), and I was wondering how much do they typically cost?

I'm in the Toronto, Ontario area. I was hearing I could get it done for $40, but that seems too good to be true.

$35 Speedy Muffler, Burlington Ont
Guelph line, just north of the hwy.

Posted: Nov 5th, 2009 10:17 pm
by Night Owl
According to the Ontario Ministry of the Environment (who administers the Drive Clean program):

[QUOTE]How much will the test cost me?

The Drive Clean Facility will perform a pre-test inspection of your vehicle at no charge to ensure it is in reasonable mechanical working order for the emissions test. Vehicles emitting heavy smoke, or with brake, steering or cooling problems, or missing a catalytic converter(s) or gas cap(s) cannot be tested for safety reasons.

The maximum fee that may be charged for a light-duty vehicle emissions test is $35. You can have up to two re-tests at $17.50 each after repairs, if the retests are conducted at the same facility as the initial test. All applicable taxes are extra.

If you chose to have repairs performed at a Drive Clean facility that is different from the one where the vehicle was tested, you can still take advantage of the reduced re-test fees. The repair technician will complete and sign a repair data form which will enable you to have the vehicle re-tested at the facility where the initial emissions test was performed at a reduced fee rate.
If you perform repairs yourself or have them done at a non-Drive Clean Facility, bring all relevant receipts for parts or repairs to make sure you qualify for the reduced fee for retests. You will not, however, qualify for the Repair Cost Limit unless repairs were done by a certified Drive Clean Repair technician.[/QUOTE]

Posted: Nov 5th, 2009 11:29 pm
by m4gician
Night Owl wrote: According to the Ontario Ministry of the Environment (who administers the Drive Clean program):
Thank you both very much.

Posted: Nov 6th, 2009 8:50 am
by pax1234
Don't forget if the test failed, the repair cost limit rule of $450.00 apply to get the conditional pass for two more years.

Posted: Nov 6th, 2009 2:54 pm
by boredstudent3
the e-test price is set by the government and should be the same at all test centers...it's regulated, the garages don't set the prices themselves...

i too tried to search for the "cheapest" place and soon found out it was government set...

Posted: Nov 6th, 2009 4:24 pm
by west
pax1234 wrote: Don't forget if the test failed, the repair cost limit rule of $450.00 apply to get the conditional pass for two more years.
Does this mean that if your car fails the test, you need to put in a maximum of $450.00 of repairs to get a pass?

Posted: Nov 6th, 2009 5:25 pm
by pax1234
Yes, that is what I read in the Saturday Toronto Star few months ago.

Posted: Nov 6th, 2009 6:14 pm
by m4gician
so $35 per test, $17.50 for a re-test. Sounds great.