Parenting & Family

How much do you pay for afterschool childcare?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2007 10:22 am
Tags:
None
Jun 11, 2006
18 posts

How much do you pay for afterschool childcare?

Hi everyone,

I'll be returning to work soon and have asked my neighbour to look after my daughter (5 yrs old) afterschool. My neighbour set up a home daycare last September and currently has only two "clients" (her neighbours two schoolage boys) whom she takes care of afterschool. She also has three of her own children (one of whom is my daughter's best friend).

My neighbour receives $10 for both boys (ie. $5 each) and looks after them from 3:30 to 5:30. I will need her to look after my daughter from 3:30 to 6:00.

My question is how much is reasonable for me to pay my neighbour? Because we are also friends I know she is disappointed at receiving only $5 for each of the boys - I don't want to appear too "cheap" nor do I want to pay too much.

Also, I will probably be asking her to mind my daughter for the summer (everyday from approx. 7:15 to 3:00). How much should I pay her pay day/week in this case?

Thank you in advance,
hockeyrules!
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
My wife runs a home daycare and she only has two rates. F/T is 28.00/day....P/T is 14.00/day

I would say 15.00 is fair.
Jun 11, 2006
18 posts
D-Roc,

Thanks for your reply. Did you mean $5? Since your wife charges $14 for half a day, I'm assuming that $15 would be too much for 2 1/2 hours of care?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
With a home daycare, usually they will charge a flat fee for F/T and P/T regardless of how many hours your shild is there.

Example. P/T could be from 2 hours to 4 hours. Anything over 5 hours could be considered F/T. So regadless of how many hours your child is with her (2 hours, 2.5 hours, 3 hours, etc) they would charge a flat fee of $14.00 (in my wife's case). If your friend is ok with having you pay hoursly then I would say $5.00/hour is fair.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1724 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga
I guess that $5 is a cash job while $15 is claimable for the parents with receipt?
Jun 11, 2006
18 posts
Thank you fellow RFDrs for your feedback. I will probably end up paying her more and get a receipt for income tax.
hockeyrules!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9645 posts
911 upvotes
Muskoka
ayeung wrote: I guess that $5 is a cash job while $15 is claimable for the parents with receipt?
Cash would be a foolish proposition from the daycare providers perspective, in that example! They would be much better off with the $15, as that income would be offset by expenses they would be allowed to claim, and they would still come out well ahead of $5 after tax.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Bullseye wrote: Cash would be a foolish proposition from the daycare providers perspective, in that example! They would be much better off with the $15, as that income would be offset by expenses they would be allowed to claim, and they would still come out well ahead of $5 after tax.
Regardless if they are paid in cash or not, thy can claim it and still get claim all the expenses.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9645 posts
911 upvotes
Muskoka
D-Roc wrote: Regardless if they are paid in cash or not, thy can claim it and still get claim all the expenses.
Yes, but $5 minus expenses is much worse than $15 for the daycare provider, that was the point. The poster was implying that the provider would accept less money if it was under the table.

As an accountant, I see daycare providers engaging in this type of false economy all the time, and when I point it out to them, and show them the numbers, they realize they've been losing money working under the table.
Nov 28, 2006
116 posts
For our area its $35 full time and $15 before/after school with no receipts. A 6pm pickup is very late and would be full time rates. I'd keep it at business rates even if its a friend or do it free. I think most would find $5 a bit of a slap in the face.
Jun 11, 2006
18 posts
Thanks again for everyone's input in regards to afterschool childcare fees.

In regards to the full-time care for the summer what should I be expecting in the way of care? In the past I had my daughter in a daycare centre and they had a set schedule for the day (ie., snack/lunch breaks, outdoor/play time, reading time, learning/activity time, etc.). Can I expect my neighbour to provide similar care albeit on a much looser time schedule than a daycare centre? I've heard of other home daycare providers who schedule weekly trips out (eg. to a local farm, indoor playground, etc.) which I would pay the extra costs for - is this the norm?
Nov 28, 2006
116 posts
Private home care is not like a daycare centre. Its like family. All those items you list are done but nothing to the extent a daycare does. Outings, other than walking to the park, are for the real parents to do.

If you want to hire someone to parent/raise your kids then I'd select the daycare centre. They don't have a house to run also.

Can't imagine many would want private daycare to drive the child around. The cost of admission is always the parents responsibility, be it in daycare or grade school fieldtrips.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1724 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga
g0f15h wrote: For our area its $35 full time and $15 before/after school with no receipts. A 6pm pickup is very late and would be full time rates. I'd keep it at business rates even if its a friend or do it free. I think most would find $5 a bit of a slap in the face.

So, for about $700 (or $35/day) FT, that would have no receipts?? I think for parents perspective, $700 with no receipts is not better off. For over 2 yr old, I think you can get $800-1000 with a receipt, licienced and structured daycare.

As for having a neighbour to take care of your kid after school, I think $5 is a bit insulting IMHO, even if your neighbour is not expecting you to pay.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Bullseye wrote: Yes, but $5 minus expenses is much worse than $15 for the daycare provider, that was the point. The poster was implying that the provider would accept less money if it was under the table.

As an accountant, I see daycare providers engaging in this type of false economy all the time, and when I point it out to them, and show them the numbers, they realize they've been losing money working under the table.
I misunderstood what you meant.
Nov 28, 2006
116 posts
ayeung wrote: So, for about $700 (or $35/day) FT, that would have no receipts?? I think for parents perspective, $700 with no receipts is not better off. For over 2 yr old, I think you can get $800-1000 with a receipt, licienced and structured daycare.

As for having a neighbour to take care of your kid after school, I think $5 is a bit insulting IMHO, even if your neighbour is not expecting you to pay.
Daily FT should get a receipt for sure. Casual FT where its an on-call type of arrangement gets no receipt. If a significant amount of cash is involved then thats a lot different.

Daycare centres are very very different from home-care and it doesn't come down to a money decision for most.

$5 is laughable unless they are both low income. You generally don't tip your good friends or family for helping you out. Its odd to think best friends would get free daycare, lesser friends would pay a cheap rate, and stangers pay full fees. Keep it business for all.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
hockeyrules! wrote: Thanks again for everyone's input in regards to afterschool childcare fees.

In regards to the full-time care for the summer what should I be expecting in the way of care? In the past I had my daughter in a daycare centre and they had a set schedule for the day (ie., snack/lunch breaks, outdoor/play time, reading time, learning/activity time, etc.). Can I expect my neighbour to provide similar care albeit on a much looser time schedule than a daycare centre? I've heard of other home daycare providers who schedule weekly trips out (eg. to a local farm, indoor playground, etc.) which I would pay the extra costs for - is this the norm?

You can and should expect that from any home daycare. My wife has a set eating schedule, but outings usually consist of going to the park as it is difficult to transport several kids in a mid size car since they all need car/booster seats. All though my wife does go to the zoo with them when it is just one child there for the day plus our child.

I also disagree with the poster who said that a daycare centre would be better than a home daycare. A home daycare enviroment can be considerably less stressful to the child and more personable interaction with the kids. Having a home to run does not interfere with providing care for the kids. They are also considerably cheaper than centres.
Nov 28, 2006
116 posts
D-Roc wrote: You can and should expect that from any home daycare. My wife has a set eating schedule, but outings usually consist of going to the park as it is difficult to transport several kids in a mid size car since they all need car/booster seats. All though my wife does go to the zoo with them when it is just one child there for the day plus our child.

I also disagree with the poster who said that a daycare centre would be better than a home daycare. A home daycare enviroment can be considerably less stressful to the child and more personable interaction with the kids. Having a home to run does not interfere with providing care for the kids. They are also considerably cheaper than centres.
I think centres are better for parents who want outings and more of a kindergarten environment. Almost to the point where the parent does not have to be involved with weekend outings as the child gets that via the centre. I'd say this is better for a hands-off type parent.

If you prefer a more home-like atmosphere then the option is obvious. I think it safe to say your average stay-at-home homemaker providing part time day care on the side is not like a licensed structured daycare staffer.

Centre staff are just that - staff. A homemaker is different. Not sure how to describe it neatly. Staff don't have any duties other than childcare where a homemaker does.

Neither is better - they are just very different.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
g0f15h wrote: I think centres are better for parents who want outings and more of a kindergarten environment. Almost to the point where the parent does not have to be involved with weekend outings as the child gets that via the centre. I'd say this is better for a hands-off type parent.

If you prefer a more home-like atmosphere then the option is obvious. I think it safe to say your average stay-at-home homemaker providing part time day care on the side is not like a licensed structured daycare staffer.

Centre staff are just that - staff. A homemaker is different. Not sure how to describe it neatly. Staff don't have any duties other than childcare where a homemaker does.

Neither is better - they are just very different.
You obviously do not understand the benefits of a home daycare. Most are ECE trained or have worked in a Daycare centre and a home daycare provide can be, and more than likely is, exactly like a "licensed structured daycare staffer". Staff at a daycare centre have many other duties outside caring for the child that a homemaker may have as well. And for the record, most home daycare providers do not usually take care of other duties through out the day while they are providing care for the kids since this is the occupation. Unless of course it is an emergancy or something for the kids (ie going to the grocery store for food, drinks, wipes, etc) Just like working outside the home, things like cleaning, etc are taken care of after the kids have left.

And if any parent did not want to take their kids on outing on the weekend because they get it via the centre, then there is something drasticly wrong with those parents.
Jun 11, 2006
18 posts
While all opinons on the home daycare vs. daycare centre debate are appreciated, at the moment I am only concerned about my expectations of a a home daycare provider. Thank you for your perspective D-Roc. As your wife is currently a home daycare provider, I will be able to use the information you provided to me in my meeting with my neighbour to discuss expectations, etc.
Nov 28, 2006
116 posts
D-Roc wrote: You obviously do not understand the benefits of a home daycare. Most are ECE trained or have worked in a Daycare centre and a home daycare provide can be, and more than likely is, exactly like a "licensed structured daycare staffer". Staff at a daycare centre have many other duties outside caring for the child that a homemaker may have as well. And for the record, most home daycare providers do not usually take care of other duties through out the day while they are providing care for the kids since this is the occupation. Unless of course it is an emergancy or something for the kids (ie going to the grocery store for food, drinks, wipes, etc) Just like working outside the home, things like cleaning, etc are taken care of after the kids have left.

And if any parent did not want to take their kids on outing on the weekend because they get it via the centre, then there is something drasticly wrong with those parents.
My preference is home daycare. You misread me. In a perfect world all families would have just one working parent.

Unfortunatly there are many parents who use society to raise their kids. I do not care to ponder the results.

Casual home care is what I was talking about - not WeeWatch or similar.

In casual home care, like a neighour or friend or grandma, the adult does housework and cooking and laundry during the day and not constant "daycare". Its like like at your house on the weekends.

Of the handful of WeeWatch type professional home care providers I know of they are near useless and I truely feel sorry for those who feel these people are trained and somehome quasi certified as competant. Hopefully they are just a few bad eggs.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)