Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 23, 2007
743 posts
32 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario

How much do you pay for daycare?

How much do you pay for daycare, and what city are you in?

We moved from Vancouver to Winnipeg four years ago to start a family. Here we pay $550/m for a toddler (under 2, once she turns 2 it's only $500/m). I know in Vancouver it's a lot more expensive, but it's relative.

Out of sheer curiousity I'm wondering how much daycare is in major centres vs smaller cities and towns.
135 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13270 posts
701 upvotes
Midtown Toronto:
Infant 1500/month
Toddler 1200/month
Kindergarden (1/2 day, before and after school) 900
School age 500
This is a nice but still not for profit daycare. A montesori would be more.

In general Daycare is next to impossible to get a space. For our newborn, we put his name on the list the day he was born...and we are not expecting to use the spot until after he turns one. Even then we are down the list.
Nov 27, 2006
441 posts
91 upvotes
a older lady comes into my home and she makes

$50/day X2 to care for girl who is 5 and boy who is 2=100
$35/dayX3 afterschool and my son all day =105

205/week about $800/mo for both
She also has 2 other kids come from my daughters class on tues/thurs here which she sit for too
that is average here in Thunder Bay.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2439 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
Infant (12-18): 56.50/day
Toddler (18-30): 51.50/day

Toronto
Nov 4, 2007
408 posts
16 upvotes
Guys, do you mind adding the names of the schools as well? That might be helpful for those looking for child care services.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
1667 posts
379 upvotes
Oakville
$50 per day for our 13 month old, we currently are using a neighbor, but will switch to a day care at 16 months.
Nov 17, 2005
812 posts
10 upvotes
montreal
quebec is 7$/day in public daycare
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1728 posts
187 upvotes
brute33 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2009 4:15 pm
quebec is 7$/day in public daycare
Originally intended for the people that could not afford daycare. However, people pull up in BMWs and Mercedes to drop off their kids. The poorer people cannot even get their kids into these daycares because the richer people are using it.

Oh...and people are still whining and crying when the government mentions increasing the price by $1 or $2.

Taxpayer dollars (even those without kids in daycare) are paying the remaining $35/day per child.
Dec 1, 2007
349 posts
80 upvotes
blakjak wrote:
Feb 25th, 2009 4:50 pm
Originally intended for the people that could not afford daycare. However, people pull up in BMWs and Mercedes to drop off their kids. The poorer people cannot even get their kids into these daycares because the richer people are using it.

Oh...and people are still whining and crying when the government mentions increasing the price by $1 or $2.

Taxpayer dollars (even those without kids in daycare) are paying the remaining $35/day per child.
wow, thats really sad...very unfortunate for those who genuinely need the assistance
Nov 17, 2005
812 posts
10 upvotes
montreal
yup quebec is an f'd up province. the highest debt ratio in the country (118 billion$+)

I would love to see the gov't stop subsidizing. i don't think taxpayers should pay for it.
Aug 13, 2006
905 posts
101 upvotes
Vancouver
Shaynelle wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2009 10:59 pm
How much do you pay for daycare, and what city are you in?

We moved from Vancouver to Winnipeg four years ago to start a family. Here we pay $550/m for a toddler (under 2, once she turns 2 it's only $500/m). I know in Vancouver it's a lot more expensive, but it's relative.

Out of sheer curiousity I'm wondering how much daycare is in major centres vs smaller cities and towns.
Paying $666 (no we don't go to the devil for daycare) for 3 days per week for an infant. (Vancouver)
Don't worry about how much you SPEND , it's how much you SAVE that matters.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3115 posts
1097 upvotes
Ontario
I believe we play just under $30/day (Brantford). It may seem cheap, but don't forget it probably means you're living in Brantford.

Fortunately I don't live in the city.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Apr 9, 2004
323 posts
48 upvotes
London
We are partially subsidized and pay $29.69/day - roughly $600/mo for our toddler. Without subsidy we would need to come up with $990/mo to keep her in the centre she is in. Can't say we drive up to daycare in a fancy and/or new vehicle - ours are 9 and 13 years old respectively :lol: .

The HDC rates are $35/day generally here, though I have seen some as high as $50/day for unlicensed care. It really makes me wonder what we will do if/when we are no longer eligable for subsidy.
May 17, 2007
3634 posts
748 upvotes
Burnaby
I'm in a Vancouver 'burb and my kiddo's daycare is $600 month. Best deal I found, especially since it's a Montessori. Cost's me nothing though, since I am fully subsidized. He was in a larger group Infant/Toddler place a year ago, and they were $995. Average around here is $750-900 for full-time 3 yr olds. I count my lucky stars I found his current place: they are wonderful with him, he lovvvvvvves it, and it ain't breaking the bank ;)

To the poster who said it's $1500 for infant: OMG. Almost no point in having both parents working if (on average) 60% of 1's income is paying for childcare.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13270 posts
701 upvotes
jacksorbetta wrote:
Feb 28th, 2009 10:13 pm
I'm in a Vancouver 'burb and my kiddo's daycare is $600 month. Best deal I found, especially since it's a Montessori. Cost's me nothing though, since I am fully subsidized. He was in a larger group Infant/Toddler place a year ago, and they were $995. Average around here is $750-900 for full-time 3 yr olds. I count my lucky stars I found his current place: they are wonderful with him, he lovvvvvvves it, and it ain't breaking the bank ;)

To the poster who said it's $1500 for infant: OMG. Almost no point in having both parents working if (on average) 60% of 1's income is paying for childcare.
The scary thing is that at that rate spaces are still hard to come by...

Even more scary is that people will pay just to keep the spot. We know of many people who while at home with their second kid on Maternity will keep their older kid at home...but still pay for daycare. If they lost the spot, there is no way to get another spot...

Now, once school age the costs are more reasonable.

It is expensive...but you have to put it in context. My wife is a teacher and 1500 a month works out to about 20% of Gross...We are in the lower 1/3 of the incomes in the neighbourhood. Also, most people here have their first kid in their 30's and second close to or above 40....and earning more than a 25 year old.

The reality is once you have two, most will typically get a nanny (interesting side effect is that some school in nicer areas are starting to have ESL type programs as the kids are picking up language and associated ESL flaws from their Nannies).

We just don't want a Nanny.