Tags:
None
Jan 3, 2018
27 posts
9 upvotes
phoenix_bladen wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 1:55 pm
Hi,

I'm thinking of daycare costs around the GTA area, particularly in Stoufville and Markham.

Do you know approximately how much it will cost ? Currently my child is 6 months, but I believe they're only eligible when they're 1 years old ?

Also, I was wondering when they go to school for Kindergarden and up, if parents are not able to pick them up after school, are there special after school day cares within the school to watch for a few hours until the parents can come pick them up ?

Thanks
Most daycares will take kids from 6 weeks old. Both of my kids were in daycare when they were 3 months old.
Dec 13, 2017
102 posts
72 upvotes
Yeah so I am on the train and bored so I read through the entire forum. After reading this I have decided kids aren't for me.
God damn kids are expensive. I am sure all the goverment credits that ppl get aren't a huge help either

You guys are warriors...keep at it
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20109 posts
7211 upvotes
Ottawa
DontCareyou wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 7:44 pm
Yeah so I am on the train and bored so I read through the entire forum. After reading this I have decided kids aren't for me.
God damn kids are expensive. I am sure all the goverment credits that ppl get aren't a huge help either

Lol, no regrets.
Jul 12, 2016
330 posts
179 upvotes
This question is just simple curiosity. How much do you pay for daycare where you live? I know it probably varies widely depending on the part of the country or city.

Look up local day cares in your area and i can almost guarantee you that they will charge anywhere from $130 + per week regardless whether your child is there for a full 5 days or not. $100 is generous in my opinion.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9837 posts
1374 upvotes
Toronto
DontCareyou wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 7:44 pm

You definitely have to know why you are getting into this kid world. And yupp, it is expensive in that as most people generally want 2, not only are you paying that extra for daycare, your wife will also lose a big chunk of her money since she'll be on EI (assuming top up is average corporate which is peanuts/short while if you're lucky). And for most people, even when in grade school there's before/aftercare program which could range from $500-$700 month.

Then of course you'll have to buy a house generally in the burbs or a huge mortgage in the city, or a condo with 3 bedrooms if you can fine one vs living in a 1+den type place. To complement, you'll need a high safety-rated, modern CUV so more $$ there.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14706 posts
5018 upvotes
OliviaAlgoz wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 9:13 pm
This question is just simple curiosity. How much do you pay for daycare where you live? I know it probably varies widely depending on the part of the country or city.

Look up local day cares in your area and i can almost guarantee you that they will charge anywhere from $130 + per week regardless whether your child is there for a full 5 days or not. $100 is generous in my opinion.
Ours is $1100/mo, I'm not sure what 12mo - 18mo is now but assume it's $1200-$1300/mo.

Just driving down the street we see other daycares that are $700 (19m on)/$780 (12m-18m). I have seen similar amounts before so I think this is the amount the province subsidizes low income families.

I believe our province is trying to roll out $25/day daycares but has only opened / subsidized very few locations so it would be difficult to get into, and the quality may not be as good as others.