Parenting & Family

How much do you pay for daycare?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2019 1:02 pm
Tags:
None
May 22, 2007
21 posts
My 3 year old has attended Tiny Tim in Brampton for 2 years. Very good staff and excellent development programs, I would highly recommend.

Also have 7 locations in Brampton, Georgetown, Milton and Cambridge. Slightly lower rates for Cambridge location

Peel & Halton Regions Daily Fees:
Infants (6 weeks - 18 months) $48.80
Toddlers (18 months - 2 1/2 years) $40.00
Preschool (2 1/2 years - 4 years) $34.60
Kindergarten (4 years - 5 years) $32.40

Discounts
2 children - 10% on the lower fee
3 or more children - 10% on all fees

More Rates:
http://www.tinytimdevelopmentalschool.com/rates.php

My son loves it there and they have lots of trips and activities.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2009
1513 posts
1214 upvotes
djjosee wrote: Wouldn't his be a problem for most cities other than Toronto? :confused:
Probably in many cities. However, I'm guessing that Toronto is at the very high end.
Jun 2, 2008
326 posts
30 upvotes
Ottawa daycares are pretty expensive as well. There is also a difference b/w private and public daycare. Private is more expensive ($1300-1400/month for infants to $1100-1200 for preschool) while public is a little better ($1200-1300), but allocates subsidized spots.

It is interesting that the private daycare raised the point that the quality (lack of a better word) of kids, due to higher income parents, is a little better in private daycare. The private daycare was also more flexible with using cloth diapers.

Yes that another issue to consider. Costing should consider food quantity and quality (home cooked), and if diapers are included in the cost.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
dfharris wrote: My 3 year old has attended Tiny Tim in Brampton for 2 years. Very good staff and excellent development programs, I would highly recommend.

Also have 7 locations in Brampton, Georgetown, Milton and Cambridge. Slightly lower rates for Cambridge location

Peel & Halton Regions Daily Fees:
Infants (6 weeks - 18 months) $48.80
Toddlers (18 months - 2 1/2 years) $40.00
Preschool (2 1/2 years - 4 years) $34.60
Kindergarten (4 years - 5 years) $32.40

Discounts
2 children - 10% on the lower fee
3 or more children - 10% on all fees

More Rates:
http://www.tinytimdevelopmentalschool.com/rates.php

My son loves it there and they have lots of trips and activities.
+1 for Tiny Tim. My 2 1/2 year old is also at a campus in Brampton and we are really happy with the care they provide.
Apr 9, 2005
200 posts
19 upvotes
If you are planning to take your kids to a montessori school, ask for training credentials, something you can see, that makes the money they charge you worth it. My friend was babysitting at home, she was not working for an agency so she had no training at all; she got recruited to work for a montessori school as a teacher, just because she grew up in Toronto and had no accent, they gave her a week training and she got a full time job; now she is also bringing her friends to work there too, requisite: good english, previous experience not needed.
Jun 25, 2007
402 posts
34 upvotes
When your children start kindergarten, a possible way to save childcare fee is to enroll them in a public school with full-day kindergarten instead of half-day. This might require some much advanced planning, since your kids need to attend schools which are close to where you live. You will also pay less if your schedule allows you to only need either before or after school care instead of both before and after school.
Dec 25, 2006
199 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
Recently visited a few daycares in Markham area

Infant: ~1350 / month.
Toddler: ~900 / month

Montessori should not tell you anything. You have to visit each one to make your decision. We visited a so called Montessori. Not only they did not know anything about what Montessori means but it was very dirty and dark. That was 1000$ for infants. You get what you pay for.
Digital Products Creator at EasySimpleSmart.com
Aug 3, 2009
7 posts
Toronto - Queen West
$190/week in Queen West area for an infant (2 months old)
Aug 14, 2007
562 posts
314 upvotes
Ottawa
Infant: ~1550 / month in Ottawa, which is a montessori school.

Well, I can only afford to have one kid :D
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
2270 posts
69 upvotes
BobTheSnake wrote: Are you talking about the 100$ per month we receives? You know that the 1200 is added to your income so you have to pay tax on it right? Say you make 40k, with that you make 41.2k. I know it helps but its kinda stupid he wants to help us and we have to pay tax on the 1k.
I'm a SAHM and don't have an income so I get to keep all of my child care benefits. Which is why I didn't get the taxing if you have an income. I take care of my own kid so I don't get taxed. Never thought of myself as a self serving day care. :D
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
brute33 wrote: quebec is 7$/day in public daycare
Yeah but QB has the highest income tax rates in the country...kinda offsets?

And now that the prov govt wants to centrally LINK all restaurant cash registers so restauranteuuuuurs can't scam by not claiming daily sales..hehe...MORE money for the govt. Let's see if that helps the deficit.
BobTheSnake wrote: Are you talking about the 100$ per month we receives? You know that the 1200 is added to your income so you have to pay tax on it right? Say you make 40k, with that you make 41.2k. I know it helps but its kinda stupid he wants to help us and we have to pay tax on the 1k.
I'm totally with you, but you make it sound like you'ren ot even getting the $1200 lol. You are...just taxed. It's still free money.
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3581 posts
2795 upvotes
Pothole city
blakjak wrote: Originally intended for the people that could not afford daycare. However, people pull up in BMWs and Mercedes to drop off their kids. The poorer people cannot even get their kids into these daycares because the richer people are using it.

Oh...and people are still whining and crying when the government mentions increasing the price by $1 or $2.

Taxpayer dollars (even those without kids in daycare) are paying the remaining $35/day per child.
Wow, I hope you're not actually believing this... Low income families, even if they can't find a 7$ daycare, get full tax refund for the difference they pay according to their income. They can even get cash advance so can pay the daycare center. And I don't remember that this program was only for low income families. This program, like others, is part of the choice we made. In BC you have tax credit when buying a greener car, there's a lot of those program that cost money (tax payer money).

Other than that, between 25-35$/day per kid is a fair amount in Montreal area. And you will get a maximum of 2000$ of tax credit per kid.
Sep 4, 2009
17 posts
I signed up a daycare for my 16 months old and the daycare in Richmond Hill charges us $860and add $100 on top because he's underage (under 18 months). This is the price for a fulltime (8:30-3:45) program. The daycare will charge less if the child is 2.5 to 4.5 years old for $795/m. If we want extended hours (7am to 6:30pm), then it would be another $125.00 on top. I checked many daycares, and this seems to be the range.. of course Montessori is WAY more expensive.. ie. Toronto Montessori School (TMS) will charge $14000 for ten months and extra for extended hours and registration fee for 3K. I can't believe daycare fee in Quebec is so CHEAP! That's not fair! We paid so much tax in Ontario already! Sigh.... :(
Sep 9, 2009
69 posts
Fx45 wrote: Paying $666 (no we don't go to the devil for daycare) for 3 days per week for an infant. (Vancouver)
lolol
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
3579 posts
610 upvotes
Sorry to revive this thread but I thought it fit here.

I pay $35/day in Milton for my 22 month year old son.

I was wondering how vacations and holidays are normally handled? Do you still pay the daycare even if you take your son away on vacation? What about stat holidays?
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2005
1698 posts
127 upvotes
In Saskatoon daycare is generally $25/day, but range from $15 to $35 per day. Monthly arrangements are typically $500-$600.

It sounds like out east the norm is institutional daycares. Here, the norm is definitely in-home daycare. Institutional daycares do exist at about a 10-20% premium over the prices above.
May 8, 2007
51 posts
2 upvotes
In downtown Vancouver at a licensed group daycare we've been paying $1290 including taxes for our nearly 3-year old, since she was 1.

The comparable age 3-5 daycares in downtown cost roughly $800 but we're on several waiting lists at least a hundred deep and have been on them for two years or longer. Hopefully we'll have some luck soon.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
MillionStylez79 wrote: We are averaging around $600/mth for 1 20mth yo...
Who pays for that, you or your girlfriend, or combined
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1286 posts
355 upvotes
$33.80/day for my 3 year old. Goes down to $28.40/day for JK before/after care. Unfortunately we didn't get full-day kindergarten nearby.