• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2018 2:15 pm
[OP]
Jan 2, 2007
433 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto

How much do you spend Annually on Family vacations

Curious - been doing some budgeting and saw that our family of 3 (include 1 toddler) spent close to $13,500 on vacations this year - flights, hotels, food, dining, grocery, all-inclusive package, sight-seeing, souvenirs, 2 car rentals etc. . Troubling was that some of that stay was with the in laws at a cottage where room and food was free but we still spent close to $2700 - flights, car rental, sightseeing etc. Another trip we had many costs comped due to a conference. Is there some general accounting rule of thumb - i.e try not to spend more than 5% of your annual income? We really don't do anything exotic or stay anywhere particularly extravagant (max hotel price is $175) and there are only 3 of us and our child doesn't pay full rate for a lot of things. We eat at the occasional nice restaurant and try to cut costs with groceries/BYOB. We were away for a total of 34 nights over 4 trips ( so averaged about $400 per night). The 4 trips were to a 4.5* Punta Cana 1 week all-inclusive + Montreal/Tremblant + PEI + London/Paris, Curious to know other families budget/actual annual spending.
52 replies
Dec 24, 2007
452 posts
347 upvotes
BC
I would say as a typical family we can't afford/have the vacation time to spend more than 3 weeks a year on vacation (21 days) so your experience is of 34 nights is envious and certainly wouldn't be the norm.

Our Orlando trip cost for 3 persons during the Disney Free Dining plan offer August period (10 days total) including Disney hotel, park tickets, transportation, food, in total was about $6,000. (US locations are not cheap vacations with the added 30% on exchange).
Last edited by WetCoastGuy on Dec 5th, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jan 2, 2007
433 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks - as mentioned about 12 of those nights were for a work conference and included summer holidays/weekend nights/stat holidays so weren't "vacation days" per se. Usually we take 22-25 true vacation days.
May 9, 2018
83 posts
18 upvotes
I'll like to know who's idea all these locations were and why do they have to be exotic locations? Sure a family can do road trips, camping and day trips. Also if I was a spouse paying for most of this, I'll be putting a stop to it. $13,500 is a lot of money for 3 people traveling in 1yr and not the norm for most families out there trying to make ends meet, let alone have 34 days to go away.
jess24 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 3:33 pm
Curious - been doing some budgeting and saw that our family of 3 (include 1 toddler) spent close to $13,500 on vacations this year - flights, hotels, food, dining, grocery, all-inclusive package, sight-seeing, souvenirs, 2 car rentals etc. . Troubling was that some of that stay was with the in laws at a cottage where room and food was free but we still spent close to $2700 - flights, car rental, sightseeing etc. Another trip we had many costs comped due to a conference. Is there some general accounting rule of thumb - i.e try not to spend more than 5% of your annual income? We really don't do anything exotic or stay anywhere particularly extravagant (max hotel price is $175) and there are only 3 of us and our child doesn't pay full rate for a lot of things. We eat at the occasional nice restaurant and try to cut costs with groceries/BYOB. We were away for a total of 34 nights over 4 trips ( so averaged about $400 per night). The 4 trips were to a 4.5* Punta Cana 1 week all-inclusive + Montreal/Tremblant + PEI + London/Paris, Curious to know other families budget/actual annual spending.
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
652 upvotes
We are a couple and are around the 30-40k mark annually for both of us. We do around 30-40 days a year split typically as one longer trip (2+ weeks) and a couple of short ones (week or less)
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
10346 posts
5366 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Family of three here and we spend around $20k/yr. just came back from doing Disney world and Disney cruise. Could have gone to Tahiti for what we spent but the kid is happy as hell so it was well worth it.

Planning a trip to Dubai and going to the Conrad in Maldives for 2019.
Aug 16, 2010
304 posts
66 upvotes
There is no rule of thumb for how much you should spend. You should spend however much you can afford. People question me about what I spend. But retirement plan is solid. My monthly budget for mortgage/bills/stuff is solid. So if I spend what's left on vacations who cares. If I didn't what would I do with the money. Probably just buy more crap like everyone else. But life is about experiences not things.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1550 posts
568 upvotes
Tokyo
Haps13 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 2:48 pm
There is no rule of thumb for how much you should spend. You should spend however much you can afford. People question me about what I spend. But retirement plan is solid. My monthly budget for mortgage/bills/stuff is solid. So if I spend what's left on vacations who cares. If I didn't what would I do with the money. Probably just buy more crap like everyone else. But life is about experiences not things.
Well said. For many, a hotel is just a place to sleep and flights take you from point A to point B. For others, they prefer business class, and suites at luxurious properties.

I could care less about the latest phones and video games, but enjoy my travels.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5327 posts
2138 upvotes
We don't have an annual travel budget per se. We travel a lot, travel to many places around the world and spend whatever it takes to make it happen.

We also make good use of Aeroplan points for Business and First Class long-haul flights, AirMiles for short hauls where available, and use hotel affinity points and home stays where applicable and appropriate. We like the upscale places with fine dining and excellent tours and experiences which do tend to cost more.

Having said all that, we were out of the country for about five and a half months this year and the monthly average for that, while not exact, is north of $12K/month.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7231 posts
1468 upvotes
Mississauga
I have three weeks vacation and spend $8000 for the two of us. So that works closely to $400 a day.

I don't mind spending on travel; it's a once in a lifetime experience. You only live once.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1308 posts
437 upvotes
I don't really keep track myself as I pay whatever it costs for the experience, but this year I am easily over 25k...was $19k for wife and I do to 3 weeks in Russia for the World Cup, that included a Siberian portion with transiberian railway trip, and stays in Moscow and St. Petersburg, where we watched a few Fifa games as well. That was the most expensive trip for us to date, 3 weeks in Brazil the year prior was like $14k, but at the end of the day, it costs what it costs. I don't fly anything but Economy and pretty price conscious, so definitely not balling out, but I don't want to go somewhere and not do something because it's expensive, it's more expensive to come back should you regret it, so just suck it up, do your thing and off you go, money is there to be spent. I would say in a typical year i'm under 15k for two people, but like I said, I don't really keep track.

On average I do about 6 weeks of vacations per year, usually a 3 week big trip, 1 week all inclusive, sometimes two, and some smaller getaways that add up to another couple of weeks.
swagwalk wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 4:15 pm
I'll like to know who's idea all these locations were and why do they have to be exotic locations? Sure a family can do road trips, camping and day trips. Also if I was a spouse paying for most of this, I'll be putting a stop to it. $13,500 is a lot of money for 3 people traveling in 1yr and not the norm for most families out there trying to make ends meet, let alone have 34 days to go away.
Most people I know with kids do this as for the most part once the kids are a little older it costs the same as an adult and that can add up quick, but those who don't and have the means, why limit yourself? If a guy has the disposable income to spend that much a year, who cares?
May 11, 2008
521 posts
167 upvotes
Vancouver
I get away about 4 to 10 weeks every year and usually as one large trip so budget really varies.
Next year I'm going away for 4 weeks and the following year I'm going away for 10 to 12 weeks.
Granted I'm also single, have no kids and a job that lets me get away for long periods of time.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8890 posts
871 upvotes
In the past 7 years, on average we spend about $6-7k a year for 2 adults for a 2 weeks vacation. Varies from cruises to overseas tours or trips. All in. Usually we don't buy airfare because we use points to claim Aeroplan but all the expenses are included in the costs (taxes/fees etc).

I suspect in our future, this will jump higher and higher as we visit more exotic places that are harder to get to and cost more, plus purchasing more airfare.

Long term, this will most likely jump to $10k+ a year for 1 trip.
Sep 4, 2018
10 posts
1 upvote
2 adults, 2 kids. Next year will be two weeks in Orlando doing WDW and other things. Used a lot of different points and total cash $2800. Week in Cancun, not AI, will have a kitchen and cook some meals, $2200. Probably one more week somewhere in the summer, not planned yet, $2000-2500.
And Vegas 3 nights just adults, $1000.
Dec 28, 2007
387 posts
52 upvotes
Waterloo
Haps13 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 2:48 pm
This is what's important. As long as you take care the bills and retirement first, and % is less than 100% of what's left, you are fine. As a datapoint, we are similar family of 3 (our son is 4) and we spend about that annually, although its not consistent each year.