Personal Finance

How much do you spend on hydro?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2011 9:02 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2009
1314 posts

How much do you spend on hydro?

Hey guys, just wondering what the typical cost of hydro is for you guys? I'm looking at places and trying to get an idea of what to expect as a single 9-5er.
63 replies
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
What's hydro?

a) Water?
b) Marihuana?
c) Electricity?
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12848 posts
Mark77 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2011 8:08 pm
What's hydro?

a) Water?
b) Marihuana?
c) Electricity?

Around here, that has always referred to Electricity....
Dec 12, 2010
393 posts
in my experience it does vary depending on which company u go for.

Im also a student and i have 1 other roomate, its roughly 50 bucks a month for both of us. we use normal amount of electricity, never try to save but dont leave lights or computer on
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
3059 posts
The word hysro seems to be used by people in Ontario. (not sure why). In other provinces, people say electricity.

We use about $35 per month. This includes the Ontario discount. Two people.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1702 posts
Mine's around 140 a month in the summer... 1400-1500 kwh with the a/c on, about 900 with it off. Gas bill is cheap though, worst part of the winter is about 75 for gas, and about 5-6 during the summer.
Oct 5, 2009
469 posts
in Calgary I was paying $40 per month in a condo facing north on the 12th floor. Almost never used ac nor heat.
in Montreal I pay around $120 per month average (huge difference between summer and winter) for a condo facing west. A lot mroe sun (heat) and a lot more humidity and average cold than Calgary.

hydro prices vary so much depending on province
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3762 posts
1800 sqft detached house.
I was billed $94 all in. This was during the brutal heat wave the GTA experinced about a month ago. Seems like ever since my home was switched to TOU pricing my bills doubled. I was alwasy used to sub $60 bills......
Nov 14, 2010
805 posts
Water is included in my rent.

Electricity is about $25/mth. When I run the dehumidifier in the summer it will be more. Heat and hotwater is included in rent.

theBeachBoy wrote:
Aug 16th, 2011 8:54 pm
hydro prices vary so much depending on province
In some provinces it doesn't even exist because people have Power or Electricity.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1240 posts
With gas water heating I pay $55 month for two people. No AC needed up in Sudbury.
Just spent three months following time of usage parameters to try and keep the rates down only to find out ' opps by the way we haven't instituted this yet'. J-offs.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1231 posts
Jungle wrote:
Aug 16th, 2011 8:35 pm
The word hysro seems to be used by people in Ontario. (not sure why). In other provinces, people say electricity.
We use the word in Manitoba as well -
Jan 19, 2008
589 posts
It is called hydro because historically electricity was primarily generated by water ( dams and waterfall) hydro means water.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1281 posts
It varies person to person, house to house, etc. There are some other threads in the Green forum about electricity costs.

We are in a 2400 sqft house and pay $100 bi monthly (ergo $50 a month). We average 11-13 kWh a day. May be a bit higher when I get the bill soon because we have used the AC a bit. It is a lot less then when I was living in a two bedroom apartment. It started to creep up to $70 a month because they did not have the peak, off peak thing.

We are in no means conservationists but all the bulbs are CFLs and we do not uselessly turn on lights when there is sun outside and at night, the lights are only on in the room we are in. We look at all our neighbours that seem to have every light in the house on and are couples like us. We do not turn off everything with a powerbar like some of the super conservationist folks do because we are usually on the laptop, on the internet, watching TV. Having an LED tv helps. The 55inch monster consumes almost zilch electricity given how often it is on. We also draw all the blinds during the day in summer to keep out the sun.

Oh and we only do laundry during off peak periods. Furthermore, we do not use our dishwasher.
Apr 8, 2006
329 posts
750sq ft condo downtown and avg about $35/mth year round. Hot water and heat are by gas, not hydro.
× < >