• Jan 18th, 2018 11:16 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
redwings_patriots wrote: When I see people quoting $200-$250 per sq foot for good to higher end finishes, does this include labour? or is that just materials? If it includes both, does anyone know the ratios? 60/40 materials to labour?
My insurance company suggests the pricing now in Toronto is often significantly higher than that for higher end finishes, and I'm not talking about Bridle Path luxury. I'm talking about upper middle class level home with nicer than average finishes.

EDIT:

This builder says the price range is $100 to $400, with $200 to $300 being the range for custom homes, or higher with really high end finishes.

http://harlequinhomes.ca/how-much-to-bu ... -home.html

It also goes on to say that $250 is only for "moderately upgraded features", so as mentioned, your $200-$250 number seems a bit low if you want higher end finishes.
Jul 19, 2008
105 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga
For those who tore down their house and built a new one, did the new house affect your property taxes? How much did the taxes go up by?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
ming_sing wrote: For those who tore down their house and built a new one, did the new house affect your property taxes? How much did the taxes go up by?
Even just doing a reno can significantly affect your property taxes, if the city knows about it, as in you've pulled a permit. Trust me I know. My property taxes went up significantly when I did my basement reno. It wasn't so much the fact that the reno increased the value, because basements represent a small portion of the home value, esp. if it had already been finished. (In my case, my basement was finished but really low end, so I reno'd it to be much nicer.) It's has to do with the fact that they may send an assessor to your home to do a full in-person valuation.

Let's say you buy a house that has been repeatedly renovated without a permit, the city may only know about the original state of the house, so the property taxes are based on that. Then if you pull a permit to do a new reno, they may send out the guy to do a formal assessment, and they'll assess it based on its current state, which includes the result of all of the renovations done in the past. Even if the previous renos were legal because they hadn't changed any of the structure or plumbing and didn't need permits, updates from low end finishings to high end finishings can significantly change the valuation of the home.

As for a tear-down and rebuild, if the original home was an old near-worthless 1100 square foot bungalow with 1960s decor, and you replace it with a $900000 monster home your property assessment can go up by a huge amount. If your land value is say $900000, then your home plus land may now be worth $1.8 million, instead of the $1.1 million before.

Granted, in Toronto, the assessments often lag far behind true real estate values, but you shouldn't be surprised if a tear-down + rebuild leads to a 50% increase in property taxes (phased in over a few years). Yes, I said 50% increase.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
2499 posts
991 upvotes
A Few years ago when I was looking, it was $200 (Standard) - $300 (Higher End) but now it's $250 (Standard) - $350 (Higher End)
Things are getting very expensive.
Sep 30, 2010
56 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
The cost based on sq ft is totally relative to how many sq ft the new home is going to be. The larger the home, the less per sq ft its going to cost.

Also there's a difference between a new build and renovation. In a new build in Toronto, there's gonna be additional cost including getting a demo permit, installing new drain pipes to the main, new footings and foundation, increase in property taxes (don't quote me on this but I heard property taxes increase more on a new build vs a renovation).

These additional costs add up by several thousands of dollars that reflect on the overall cost per sq ft.

Some people avoid these cost by doing a major reno and keeping their foundation and a couple walls.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
harryshins wrote: The cost based on sq ft is totally relative to how many sq ft the new home is going to be. The larger the home, the less per sq ft its going to cost.

Also there's a difference between a new build and renovation. In a new build in Toronto, there's gonna be additional cost including getting a demo permit, installing new drain pipes to the main, new footings and foundation, increase in property taxes (don't quote me on this but I heard property taxes increase more on a new build vs a renovation).

These additional costs add up by several thousands of dollars that reflect on the overall cost per sq ft.

Some people avoid these cost by doing a major reno and keeping their foundation and a couple walls.
Keeping basement and walls is not so much about cost moreso it allows you greater flexibility were regards to things like set backs, lot coverage...or even keeping a window at the side if of the house.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1187 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
harryshins wrote: The cost based on sq ft is totally relative to how many sq ft the new home is going to be. The larger the home, the less per sq ft its going to cost.

Now in Toronto, you need to keep a minimum of 50% of the existing exterior walls to be counted as a renovation/addition.
nalababe wrote: Keeping basement and walls is not so much about cost moreso it allows you greater flexibility were regards to things like set backs, lot coverage...or even keeping a window at the side if of the house.
You can keep the existing foundation walls, but are they strong enough to hold new walls and upper storey loads? Otherwise, you need to factor in the cost for underpinning and/or new structural columns and beams.
Project 708
Architectural Pencil Pusher
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
Faemow wrote: Now in Toronto, you need to keep a minimum of 50% of the existing exterior walls to be counted as a renovation/addition.

You can keep the existing foundation walls, but are they strong enough to hold new walls and upper storey loads? Otherwise, you need to factor in the cost for underpinning and/or new structural columns and beams.
Walls are being kept more cosmetic and again, to allow you to essentially contravene the current regulations. This is done every day. Now, it is typically cheaper to tear down completely and rebuild, but you may end up with a smaller house...in the city this can be a big deal.
Sep 30, 2010
56 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
nalababe wrote: Walls are being kept more cosmetic and again, to allow you to essentially contravene the current regulations. This is done every day. Now, it is typically cheaper to tear down completely and rebuild, but you may end up with a smaller house...in the city this can be a big deal.
Yes some renos are done to avoid abiding by new zoning bylaws.

I don't know how it is cheaper to tear down completely and build new. First off there's more garbage (old foundation and walls), secondly the additional costs involved that I explained earlier of building new.

Most people that build new don't build a smaller house. They go to CoA to go beyond new zoning requirements. Most new builds I've seen appear larger than the original footprint.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
harryshins wrote: Yes some renos are done to avoid abiding by new zoning bylaws.

I don't know how it is cheaper to tear down completely and build new. First off there's more garbage (old foundation and walls), secondly the additional costs involved that I explained earlier of building new.

Most people that build new don't build a smaller house. They go to CoA to go beyond new zoning requirements. Most new builds I've seen appear larger than the original footprint.
Total footprint is larger than the footprint prior, but overall, smaller than what could have been if you renovated vs build. Some areas don't have as strict regulations, but around here Leaside has managed to keep the 8.5M vs 10M total height (so no three story houses) and we have successfully fought many houses if they want anything more than a very minor variance...you will also no longer see below grade garages or all stucco houses (Stone or Brick and Stone must be included with Stucco---but no one wants stucco anymore anyway).

Where we see the wall kept normally is with the 30' lots, 35' lots would be more apt to tear down completely.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1187 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
nalababe wrote: Total footprint is larger than the footprint prior, but overall, smaller than what could have been if you renovated vs build. Some areas don't have as strict regulations, but around here Leaside has managed to keep the 8.5M vs 10M total height (so no three story houses) and we have successfully fought many houses if they want anything more than a very minor variance...you will also no longer see below grade garages or all stucco houses (Stone or Brick and Stone must be included with Stucco---but no one wants stucco anymore anyway).

Where we see the wall kept normally is with the 30' lots, 35' lots would be more apt to tear down completely.
If a third storey addition isn't allowed in Leaside and somebody is asking for approval, you as a neighbor and the rate payers association have every right to oppose. However, I'm not certain if you have authority to determine the finishes on the building. And below grade garages have been eliminated a while ago, UNLESS you get permission from O.M.B., but nobody asks for below grade garages anymore.

The main reason to keep existing walls, is to grandfather past zoning bylaws in order to avoid redesigning to fall within current bylaws. Otherwise, it's easier to tear down and build new.
Project 708
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
Faemow wrote: If a third storey addition isn't allowed in Leaside and somebody is asking for approval, you as a neighbor and the rate payers association have every right to oppose. However, I'm not certain if you have authority to determine the finishes on the building. And below grade garages have been eliminated a while ago, UNLESS you get permission from O.M.B., but nobody asks for below grade garages anymore.

The main reason to keep existing walls, is to grandfather past zoning bylaws in order to avoid redesigning to fall within current bylaws. Otherwise, it's easier to tear down and build new.
Actually below grade garages were commonplace until about 3 years ago...same with the extensive use of stucco. Now while we cannot force this upon an individual, it is possible to hold up or stop a build by pushing hard on the variances. The committees do visit the proposed house sites and take pictures and review the surrounding area. IN the end, the Property associations worked with the builders (of which there are maybe 5 big ones and 5 smaller ones) to ensure they are taking that into consideration. In the end, as the new builds on a 35' lot approach 3M, there is less and less stucco going up....of course, 90% of the new houses are cookie without Leaside/North Toronto character.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1187 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
nalababe wrote: Actually below grade garages were commonplace until about 3 years ago...same with the extensive use of stucco. Now while we cannot force this upon an individual, it is possible to hold up or stop a build by pushing hard on the variances. The committees do visit the proposed house sites and take pictures and review the surrounding area. IN the end, the Property associations worked with the builders (of which there are maybe 5 big ones and 5 smaller ones) to ensure they are taking that into consideration. In the end, as the new builds on a 35' lot approach 3M, there is less and less stucco going up....of course, 90% of the new houses are cookie without Leaside/North Toronto character.
The below grade garages were phased out bc of the flooding we had 3 years ago. I'm glad to hear that your association can control the final outcome. I hate all stucco houses (if not done correctly) but people think stucco is the cheaper option vs. masonry, but from what I've been hearing from contractors, the difference in cost isn't huge.
Project 708
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
Faemow wrote: The below grade garages were phased out bc of the flooding we had 3 years ago. I'm glad to hear that your association can control the final outcome. I hate all stucco houses (if not done correctly) but people think stucco is the cheaper option vs. masonry, but from what I've been hearing from contractors, the difference in cost isn't huge.
From the city of Toronto

he City of Toronto's Zoning By-Law 569-2013 prohibits the construction of below-grade garage for residential buildings anywhere in the city. If you want to build a below-grade garage which needs a reverse slope driveway, you must apply for an exemption through a Minor Variance Application or a Re-zoning Application, depending on your development type. For more information, visit toronto.ca/planning.

So while not permitted...you can still apply, so it is not forbidden.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2009
1127 posts
217 upvotes
has anyone built their home without the middle man? i.e. hired contractors directly to complete carious stages? can the person comment about the costs, both material and labor?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
6023 posts
3617 upvotes
Toronto
sonajatt wrote: has anyone built their home without the middle man? i.e. hired contractors directly to complete carious stages? can the person comment about the costs, both material and labor?
That seems crazy unless you've already had experience in the industry. But I'm sure folks have done that.

There is a lot of stuff to orchestrate! And a lot of "institutional knowledge" of each participant.
Banned
Jul 2, 2015
395 posts
66 upvotes
Canada
Down the street neighbhour bought a detached house ..tore it down & built 2 semi-detached houses on the same property. Not sure how much he made if any, if you consider how much it cost him in labour and material and permits etc to build the 2 houses.

The detached house he bought was at market price, it wasn't a fixer upper or dilapidated house or anything. It was an old house, but in good shape, so I don't think he got any discounts.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2009
1127 posts
217 upvotes
Hugh wrote: That seems crazy unless you've already had experience in the industry. But I'm sure folks have done that.

There is a lot of stuff to orchestrate! And a lot of "institutional knowledge" of each participant.
Lots of people have done this, just trying to find out price from someone who has. I have run my own numbers and so far coming up with less than 150 sq.ft. while using typical builder home quality offered these days for avg. Homes (not custom)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)