Wheels and Tires

How much does it cost to change over to winter tires?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2016 12:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 13, 2010
3 posts
vancouver

How much does it cost to change over to winter tires?

I brought my car in to change over to winter tires(rims on).
It cost $13 per tire to get changed. and per $12 for balancing. I paid $112 in total.
My friend said I paid too much.
I don't know much about cars and costs of services.
How much does it cost for winter tires installed and balanced normally? (for the future reference)
77 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14369 posts
1309 upvotes
Oshawa
Buy steel rims next year. Problem solved.
Blacklisted brands: Sony, Lenovo, Dell, Vizio
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4895 posts
823 upvotes
BC
hide0325 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2010 7:27 pm
JAC wrote:
Nov 18th, 2010 10:11 pm
Buy steel rims next year. Problem solved.

But the way I interpret the OP's sentence is that the winter tires were already on their own rims.

So unless the shop was running a loss-leader on winter changeover (to upsell on other mtce. items),
$13 per wheel was not bad.
Not great, but worth the money if it meant they didn't let a 15 year-old loose with an impact wrench.

The real question becomes, "was rebalancing of the wheels necessary?"
Maybe not, but you never know until they are on the balancing machine.
And $12 per wheel is probably on the low side for that service.

In summary, you paid the going price, or even less, if you received good customer service,
and were confident about how they did things.

Next time, you could find a $35 special without balancing, but I would not recommend that.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1866 posts
121 upvotes
hide0325 wrote:
It cost $13 per tire to get changed. and per $12 for balancing. I paid $112 in total.
How much does it cost for winter tires installed and balanced normally? (for the future reference)

Unless the tires somehow got unbalanced cause you lost the balancing weights, shouldn't have needed balancing. The shop usually wouldn't know unless you complaint about vibration. I know chinese shops in Toronto who'll do balance and mount for 80 total. Think you got ripped off.

If you are abled bodied and mechanically inclined you can easily do your own tire swaps in the future. A set of basic tools doesn't cost much and it wouldn't take you longer than 30 minutes if you know what you are doing. I do mine, my gf's, her parent's and my sister's car every year.
Mar 17, 2010
600 posts
24 upvotes
behind your left sho…
I have a set of winter rubber on their own steel rims. To swap from summer tires (on factory rims) to my Winter set, its costs me $29 + taxes. ($24 for all 4 tires with oil change at same time). I would do the swap myself except its TPMS (Tire Pressure Management System) needs to be adjusted to the different tires. And being on their own rims, no rebalancing is required. If you plan to keep your vehicle for 5+ years, its worth getting seperate winter rubber on their own rims. Then, low cost swap-over every 6 months...

Apr 1, 2010
265 posts
10 upvotes
mine were done today got it done for 50$ for all 4 tires mounted and balanced.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2144 posts
189 upvotes
OP just got ripped. As recommended by some RFDers here - I used Tire23 in Mississauga.

They did a heck of a job there. Fast, courteous service, so far no problem whatsoever! They even nicely wrapped my old tires for storage.

Dismounting old tire + Mounting new tire on rims + balancing + proper inflation check = $60 Tax included (Cash)
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
1223 posts
56 upvotes
Mississauga
Costco:

On Rims with Balancing $6/tire
Not on Rims with Balancing $11/tire.

Catch: Atleast two out of the 8 tires need to be bought from Costco.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7630 posts
621 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
hide0325 wrote:

Where did you get this done? Seems like its on the high side.
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Jul 13, 2010
3 posts
vancouver
Spike99 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2010 10:51 pm
I have a set of winter rubber on their own steel rims. To swap from summer tires (on factory rims) to my Winter set, its costs me $29 + taxes. ($24 for all 4 tires with oil change at same time). I would do the swap myself except its TPMS (Tire Pressure Management System) needs to be adjusted to the different tires. And being on their own rims, no rebalancing is required. If you plan to keep your vehicle for 5+ years, its worth getting seperate winter rubber on their own rims. Then, low cost swap-over every 6 months...

I had rims on my winter tires already.
Maybe it's not called 'change over' then?
They said $10 each when I dropped off the car, but ended up charging me $13 each.
and extra charge for balancing.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2010
3 posts
vancouver
sickcars wrote:
Nov 19th, 2010 12:30 am
Where did you get this done? Seems like its on the high side.
Big O tires (Vancouver)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6937 posts
343 upvotes
hide0325 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2010 1:23 am
They said $10 each when I dropped off the car, but ended up charging me $13 each.

I hate commenting on threads like this and don't want to make you feel bad, but I agree with the others that you paid too much. At most, all of this should have cost you between $20 to $50. Every year I pay a flat $20 to get my winter tires put on. Next time get the price upfront and hold them to it. I would pay a penny above what I was quoted unless I had agreed to a price fluctuation in advance.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2005
3357 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto
Ethan15 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2010 11:36 pm
OP just got ripped. As recommended by some RFDers here - I used Tire23 in Mississauga.

They did a heck of a job there. Fast, courteous service, so far no problem whatsoever! They even nicely wrapped my old tires for storage.

Dismounting old tire + Mounting new tire on rims + balancing + proper inflation check = $60 Tax included (Cash)

Wait - did you buy any of your tires from Tires23, or just had the mounting/balancing? Also for $60, did they put the wheels onto the car?

Tires23 gave me a hardtime when I asked them to do what you had done for $60, the lowest he would do it for was $70 and that was only if I didn't have to mount the wheels onto the car (I had to bring them in off the car).

For $70 they took my wheels, removed old tires from them and installed my new winter tires on them and balanced them.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
5922 posts
151 upvotes
Murica
hide0325 wrote:
hide0325 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2010 1:23 am

you mean peeling off tires and installing winter tires on your rims?
you should get some steelies. the frequency that you change over would well pay the cost of a set of steelies.

if you mean switch over sets from summers to winter tires, you should be able to do this yourself if you're worried about cost.
just add anti-seize on the face of the rotor hat that makes contact with your rims, that way it doesn't get stuck next season, when you're changing over. never add anti-seize to the bolts or threads. investing in a torque wrench is a good idea.
× < >