Cell Phones

How much does it cost to fix the broken screen?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 14th, 2015 8:36 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 18, 2006
258 posts
5 upvotes

How much does it cost to fix the broken screen?

for Galaxy S3, The canadacomputers asked for $180, is it worth it?

if I fix it and resell it, how much is reasonable?
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
That's not unreasonable for a full screen assembly (glass+touchscreen+LCD) - a little on the high end. Ask what warranty you get with that. You can get it done for less at P-Mall but when you walk out the door, that's it - no guarantees. If it's just for a broken glass and the touchscreen and LCD is OK, it should be quite a bit less. Worth it? Only you can decide. You should be able to get more than 170 for an S3.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7675 posts
10978 upvotes
Scarbs
Since the LCD, glass and digitizer are fused into one piece, if you break one, you'll have to replace the whole unit. Ironically, it's probably cheaper to buy a new S3.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
aeba7 wrote: Since the LCD, glass and digitizer are fused into one piece, if you break one, you'll have to replace the whole unit. Ironically, it's probably cheaper to buy a new S3.
No, some repair shops have the capability to remove and replace just the broken glass. It's a delicate repair as the glass is glued to the digitizer and LCD, as you said. It's something that Samsung never meant to be done but it can be done; depends on the skill of the tech.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6084 posts
1868 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
raid3050 wrote: it is unlocked for wind mobile as well? thanks a lot!
Not sure if it can be use at wind if I unlocked. Coz I didn't use mine on wind I use my gs5 instead.
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
As far as I know, S3's are not physically capable of operating on the Wind network. S4's do have that capability but the most common variant, the I337 is firmware hobbled to disable this broadcast band whereas the rarer I919 variant is pentaband capable meaning it can operate on Wind. It is possible to install an "AWS" patch on I337 S4's so they work on Wind. At your own risk and voids the warranty, of course.
Oct 18, 2006
258 posts
5 upvotes
DiceMan wrote: As far as I know, S3's are not physically capable of operating on the Wind network. S4's do have that capability but the most common variant, the I337 is firmware hobbled to disable this broadcast band whereas the rarer I919 variant is pentaband capable meaning it can operate on Wind. It is possible to install an "AWS" patch on I337 S4's so they work on Wind. At your own risk and voids the warranty, of course.
oh, I got my S3 from wind, it is different with other carriers?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5924 posts
7346 upvotes
You will need the T999 model version of the S3 to use it on Wind, not the i747M which is what the big 3 sell.

At this point there is no reason to spend money to fix it. and If you are buying new I wouldn't pay more than $150 for that phone.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2012
1765 posts
344 upvotes
Mississauga
If you are planning to keep the phone for a while, get it fixed, or get a S4 probably around 200 and get it modified for wind easily.
Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t15.htm

An Android a day keeps the Apple away.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2012
1765 posts
344 upvotes
Mississauga
fatestkid wrote: Koodo is owned by Telus and I know Telus sold the i747M so the koodo one won't work on wind. not sure if there is any modification you can do to make it work.
i747m can be modified to work on wind but it requires to use an app anytime phone is restarted and can't be reset or updated.

Not really ideal solution, unless absolutely necessary.
Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t15.htm

An Android a day keeps the Apple away.
Oct 18, 2006
258 posts
5 upvotes
if I get a nexus 5 from koodo, does it need to modify to work on wind too? $350 is a good price? thanks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6084 posts
1868 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
raid3050 wrote: if I get a nexus 5 from koodo, does it need to modify to work on wind too? $350 is a good price? thanks
No it will work out of the box from koodo to wind to any network.
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
398 upvotes
Edmonton
You might be able to do a board swap into the Koodo S3. Slightly cheaper...
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5924 posts
7346 upvotes
raid3050 wrote: if I get a nexus 5 from koodo, does it need to modify to work on wind too? $350 is a good price? thanks
It will work out of the box. $350 is normal price if not on the high end. The phone is officially out of production so hard to say what the normal price is.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals