Automotive

How much does driving school help insurance?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2008 9:59 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 23, 2007
212 posts
5 upvotes

How much does driving school help insurance?

Hey, I have my g2 but I did not go to driving school. If I get it now, how much will it help with insurance?? I don't have insurance yet but eventually I'll get it (in 2~5 years).
15 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3108 posts
490 upvotes
Phone the insurance company, they'll tell you right away.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2471 posts
75 upvotes
it basically bumps you to a 3 star driver (meaning you are on the same level as someone who has had their license for 3 years)
it saves a bit, but nothing too drastic...it also depends on the insurance company ,type of car etc.. the only people that can answer is you insurance company, because its different everywhere
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
So how are you currently driving then? If you are regularly driving you need to be listed on the policy for the car with a G2. Now to answer you question, the driving school discount can make quite a difference. In our case with our 18 yr old and soon to be a G2 driver, with driving school it will only cost us about $300/yr extra.
Dec 12, 2007
24 posts
toronto
CSK'sMom wrote:
Feb 18th, 2008 12:12 am
So how are you currently driving then? If you are regularly driving you need to be listed on the policy for the car with a G2. Now to answer you question, the driving school discount can make quite a difference. In our case with our 18 yr old and soon to be a G2 driver, with driving school it will only cost us about $300/yr extra.
May I ask where you are getting your insurance from? I am an 18 year old g2 driver (had my g1 for 2 years) did drivers ed and I am paying an awful lot more than that as a secondary driver.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2471 posts
75 upvotes
dakine31 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2008 1:20 am
May I ask where you are getting your insurance from? I am an 18 year old g2 driver (had my g1 for 2 years) did drivers ed and I am paying an awful lot more than that as a secondary driver.
everyones insurance will be different, depending on the car, primary's driving record etc....who knows that may be an 18 year old girl that they are speaking about
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15754 posts
1242 upvotes
GTA West
My parents told me that the cost of Young Drivers paid for itself quite quickly due to the insurance savings.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Nope Red_Army, he's a boy. I'll also say that living in Niagara we tend to pay far higher insurance premiums than many, many places in Ont. in great part due to the sheer number of tourists. Especially out of country tourists....

dakine, we're insured through CAA (minivan) and the primary driver has the highest rating possible.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2007
212 posts
5 upvotes
I don't drive often and I'm at school 8/12 months of the year so I don't have insurance right now. I'll phone my insurance company and find out how much it helps thanks.
Dec 31, 1969
Personally, I don't really find the savings to be that great. Mostly, because I practically had my license for 2 years, due to failing the road test a few times.

I've done a lot of quotes and I noticed that if I had gotten my license within the 8-12 month period then I would be paying a whole lot less then what I am paying right now. I've gotten quotes with and without drivers ed and some of them were the same.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1089 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
When I was at the MTO at downsview I swear they had posters that said get 30% off insurance through driving school.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1382 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
You will save about 5-10% off your premium if its from a certified driving school that your insurance company recognizes.

The savings can be about $200-500 depending what your premium is going to be. You need to provide the insurer with your driving certificate.
Dec 17, 2007
9 posts
Toronto
Accurim wrote:
Feb 15th, 2008 1:08 pm
Hey, I have my g2 but I did not go to driving school. If I get it now, how much will it help with insurance?? I don't have insurance yet but eventually I'll get it (in 2~5 years).
Accurim,

A recognized Drivers Training Certificate will help MOST drivers. The only time it MAY not have an impact is when the G2 driver has held that G2 for greater then 1 year without being insured. As for how much it will help... here is no "set" discount... it has an impact on driving record of 3 stars and that impacts the premium in different ways from company to company. Simple answer: Yes it is worth while if you take note of the subtleties. As all ways, it's best to speak with your licensed insurance broker/agent.

I've have also included a link (here) outlining some creative ways on how you can save money on Car Insurance!
Kanetix.ca: Canada's Insurance Marketplace
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
1726 posts
36 upvotes
Maple
it gives u 3 star rating which is like a novice G license
it does helps your insurance a bit
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2005
5625 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
IoannI wrote:
Feb 19th, 2008 10:49 am
Personally, I don't really find the savings to be that great. Mostly, because I practically had my license for 2 years, due to failing the road test a few times.

I've done a lot of quotes and I noticed that if I had gotten my license within the 8-12 month period then I would be paying a whole lot less then what I am paying right now. I've gotten quotes with and without drivers ed and some of them were the same.
Do you mean to say that someone who gets their licenses quickly (i.e., doesnt' wait several years between stages) will have lower insurance rates then someone who takes a while? Or would your rates have just been lower because you would have been a G licensed driver for longer?

As for the insurance discount, it's enough to make it worth it IMO. One thing to note though is that the certificate is only good for (I believe it's) 2 years, so if you get it, then wait 3 years to get insured, it'll be useless anyway.

:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) it took me 45 minutes to make this signature :(
× < >