Personal Finance

How much does the government pay for maternity leave?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2006 7:43 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2003
1141 posts
11 upvotes

How much does the government pay for maternity leave?

I was looking on the government website and it appeared that a woman is paid about $400 a week while on maternity leave (max. payable by the government, basically assuming the woman earns $40,000 or more).

Can anyone confirm that I have interpreted this correctly? I had always thought it was 2/3 of salary...
86 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes
maternity leave = ei. ei max is 413$ / week.
Nov 15, 2004
147 posts
6 upvotes
Yup... there is a maximum as stated above of $413/week.

And then they do also take some tax off that (it is taxable income) ... my wife was off all last year and the cheque was for $768 every 2 weeks.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1251 posts
24 upvotes
Ottawa
The max ($413/wk) is based on the highest salary rate of approx $39k/yr.

And depending on who you work for, you can get an additional top up by your employer.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9645 posts
911 upvotes
Muskoka
Dynomite2910 wrote:Yup... there is a maximum as stated above of $413/week.

And then they do also take some tax off that (it is taxable income) ... my wife was off all last year and the cheque was for $768 every 2 weeks.
My wife was also on Mat leave last year (and part of this year), in Ontario, she qualifies for the max $413, but only gets $720 every two weeks! How did your wife get less tax taken off?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2003
1141 posts
11 upvotes
Thanks for the info! So I am clear, you just have to be able to prove via T-4's or pay stubs that you have earned $39K in the past 12 months and are currently employed to receive the benefit when you go on leave?
I'm assuming that if you are on a contract when you go on leave you would get no benefit, correct?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes
scottyb wrote:Thanks for the info! So I am clear, you just have to be able to prove via T-4's or pay stubs that you have earned $39K in the past 12 months and are currently employed to receive the benefit when you go on leave?
I'm assuming that if you are on a contract when you go on leave you would get no benefit, correct?
You need to have the form that they give you when they lay you off or you resign that you bring to HRDC to claim your EI, but the "employement termination code" or whatever it's called is "maternity leave"

SOmething to keep in mind: while they might only remove 50$ in taxes on your weekly EI cheque, you might get dinged at income tax comes if you made lots of money during the rest of the year.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes
Bullseye wrote:My wife was also on Mat leave last year (and part of this year), in Ontario, she qualifies for the max $413, but only gets $720 every two weeks! How did your wife get less tax taken off?
It doesn't matter, everything gets adjusted at the end of the year (ie: the amount of taxes... if they took to much, you get a refund, if they took too little, you have to pay).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9645 posts
911 upvotes
Muskoka
mart242 wrote:It doesn't matter, everything gets adjusted at the end of the year (ie: the amount of taxes... if they took to much, you get a refund, if they took too little, you have to pay).
I know, I was just curious.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1724 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga
Let's say if I'm taking maternity now and getting the max $413/week. I'm starting a business and that gives me some money to take home. Then, would that decrease the amount I'm getting each month on the EI payment since that seems to based on previous year's earning?
Banned
Jul 10, 2005
2489 posts
1 upvote
ayeung wrote:Let's say if I'm taking maternity now and getting the max $413/week. I'm starting a business and that gives me some money to take home. Then, would that decrease the amount I'm getting each month on the EI payment since that seems to based on previous year's earning?
I do not think you can collect ei and have a side job.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1724 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga
In another word, if I'm on maternity leave and help my neighbour to babysit at $75 or more a week, I'll start losing my EI dollar to dollar.

What about if, besides my full time job now, I also earn some extra money by renting out properties, by trading stocks, or having my own business (assuming all these are making profit), and I intend to continue doing that while on maternity leave....That will hurt my EI too? I'm not even sure if my employer will top up (for the first 6 months) to 95% if I entitle to little or no EI ...
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2005
2431 posts
8 upvotes
Maximum $685 every two weeks....nice. What flipping world does our government think we live in?
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
1023 posts
33 upvotes
Audiogenic wrote:Maximum $685 every two weeks....nice. What flipping world does our government think we live in?
I'm sure you'll be first in line when you get fired/disabled or your wife/concubine gets pregnant.
Banned
Jul 10, 2005
2489 posts
1 upvote
The maturnity money is fair it is meant to live off untill you can work again.
Jul 29, 2003
189 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa
So a single mother with one or more children can live on $1500/month?
Can a single man with no dependants live on $1500/month?

Maybe if he lives with his parents...

Walks away shaking head...

-=sMoothEric=-
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1724 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga
So, if I plan to take a maternity leave, I'd better wrap up everything I'm doing that gives me some extra money on top of my full time job in order to get the maternity leave EI. That's not very fair. What's the point of taking maternity leave w/o EI and or top up benefit because I've some other side business???
Feb 9, 2005
934 posts
242 upvotes
Audiogenic wrote:Maximum $685 every two weeks....nice. What flipping world does our government think we live in?
Hmmm... let me see.

Canada. Mat leave, you get $685 every 2 weeks (assuming you make > $39k). You get one year off work to raise your child. You are guaranteed to have your job after the one year.

US. Mat leave, you get $0 every 2 weeks. You get 6 weeks off, 12 weeks if it was a C-section.

I'll let the rest of the members decide how bad we have it.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
vistaliving wrote:Hmmm... let me see.

Canada. Mat leave, you get $685 every 2 weeks (assuming you make > $39k). You get one year off work to raise your child. You are guaranteed to have your job after the one year.

US. Mat leave, you get $0 every 2 weeks. You get 6 weeks off, 12 weeks if it was a C-section.

I'll let the rest of the members decide how bad we have it.
In the states, you also have to pay for it, so we have a better policy here. Bah, either way, you are paying more tax into the system, so whatever.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)