Shopping Discussion

How much is a LOT of HBC Points? What do you do with them??

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2010 7:20 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
26844 posts
405 upvotes
Ottawa

How much is a LOT of HBC Points? What do you do with them??

So after nearly 60% of my time (since registering) on RFD I finally discovered what SDM was. Since then I've probably gone through a few Wii's and a few cameras (all at 20X) days., sadly the xbox 360 clearance @ 30X was WAY WAY before my time :( ...the ORIGINAL 30X...not the one from last year that ruffled a few feathers (to say the least :| ).

So I'm wondering now about these HBC Points. How much is a lot? What do you do with them? Does HBC have the same 'bonus rewards' concept? I know there are occasional 'bonus coupons' where you get 10,000 points (not sure if they're stackable?) or such for buying over a certain amount. I read and it seems there's no bonus redemption other than a pathethic 100,000 for $20 GC in Christmas? Otherwise, the best deal is to switch to airmiles and then BOGO movies? or Car Washes? But even then, the rewards is frankly thievery. Am I getting it???

Can someone give me a quick crash course on HBC Points and how to maximize them-if this is even possible?

We have an HBC MC so we know we get double points., but still, seems like a joke to accumulate enough points to do anything significant.

I walked into Zellers yesterday and managed to get that XBOX ELITE HALO edition after the deal ended, so I was looking at the receipt today and realized that even with our hbc mc, all we got was 100points/$1. What does that even translate to? I read 80,000pts for a $10 GC???? WTF??? That's like a what? 1/20% cashback?? Um..SCAM?
●unlim CDN air&msging●unlim Global SMS●CD/VM●6Gb●$50
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
36 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5316 posts
277 upvotes
You want more of these rip offs?

Sobey's club point. 1 dollar = 1 point, 1375 points for $ 10 GC, that's 0.0073 cash back, less than a penny.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3395 posts
143 upvotes
The HBC rewards card is crap; I know someone who bought a 50" Bravia for ~1700 and got enough reward points for a $15 gift card (basically enough to cover the enviro fee) :lol:
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1970 upvotes
You are too late bubble.tea. Last year, we were doing well sharing all the bonus coupons until HBC caught on and stopped issuing them. Essentially you had to spend $20 to get $10 back in points. I used to save all my FPCs and use them because they give the points on the before coupon total. 80,000 points equals a $10 GC which you can get on the spot at customer service which is very handy.

HBC had a rewards catalogue for merchandise which they are discontinuing at the end of this month. You needed too many points to get merchandise unless it was on special on their website. I have mainly redeemed for GCs although I did get a nice luggage set and a hall table.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1673 posts
68 upvotes
Southern ontario
that explains why the coupons suddenly stop! on a side note, i converted 3,200,000 points for a $400 gc.
Cheap Cat wrote:
Jan 20th, 2010 9:59 pm
You are too late bubble.tea. Last year, we were doing well sharing all the bonus coupons until HBC caught on and stopped issuing them. Essentially you had to spend $20 to get $10 back in points. I used to save all my FPCs and use them because they give the points on the before coupon total. 80,000 points equals a $10 GC which you can get on the spot at customer service which is very handy.

HBC had a rewards catalogue for merchandise which they are discontinuing at the end of this month. You needed too many points to get merchandise unless it was on special on their website. I have mainly redeemed for GCs although I did get a nice luggage set and a hall table.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2007
4204 posts
58 upvotes
Winnipeg
all my points automatically get converted into Airmiles.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
My Flickr
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
26844 posts
405 upvotes
Ottawa
3.2 MILL??? OMG.,

Crap., so even THOSE coupons are no more? So HBC POINTS are certifiably dead and worthless?
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2008
1000 posts
86 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote:
Jan 20th, 2010 8:48 pm
So after nearly 60% of my time (since registering) on RFD I finally discovered what SDM was. Since then I've probably gone through a few Wii's and a few cameras (all at 20X) days., sadly the xbox 360 clearance @ 30X was WAY WAY before my time :( ...the ORIGINAL 30X...not the one from last year that ruffled a few feathers (to say the least :| ).
Would be great if someone could make an information post (or link one) because I have little to no clue what you're talking about here - and it seems like I'm probably missing out! :)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
26844 posts
405 upvotes
Ottawa
ionic wrote:
Jan 21st, 2010 7:18 am
Would be great if someone could make an information post (or link one) because I have little to no clue what you're talking about here - and it seems like I'm probably missing out! :)
For starters, you can search SDM and Optimum. It's pretty well covered in a number of good threads.

I started this thread because there's frankly little or none about HBC...and rightfully so, as you see its' merchandise asect is ending 01/31, but in any event the rewards earned are pathetic.
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
3570 posts
498 upvotes
Richmond
Between three of my rewards programs (RBC Rewards, Esso Extra and HBC Rewards), I consolidated everything in HBC to the tune of just over 4,600,000 points about 2 years ago.

With that, I redeemeed for $575 in HBC gift cards. HBC gc's were my best choice at the time because of the things I wanted and needed. In Esso Extra it would have garnered $500 HBC gc's, in RBC Rewards it would have garnered $450 HBC gc's, and in airmiles it would have garnered $275 HBC gc's. HBC gc's continue to be the item of the most benefit to me because of family needs (Zellers for kids' stuff, TP, grocery items. ); but no matter how you slice it, I get more dollar value in HBC than anything else.

If you're diligent with your math, it's fairly easy to get the most of your different points programs by consolidating to one program (if possible) that will benefit you the most.

I've just started to really use SDM in the past year or so because I live close to one now, and have amassed quite a lot in a short time with the various bonus offers. I haven't reached 75,000 yet thoough, so I've yet to redeem.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
26844 posts
405 upvotes
Ottawa
peroxide8888 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2010 11:26 am
Between three of my rewards programs (RBC Rewards, Esso Extra and HBC Rewards), I consolidated everything in HBC to the tune of just over 4,600,000 points about 2 years ago.
You didn't really answer my question though (other than tootin' your DEEEEELICIOUS horn. WOW...4.6 MILLION!!!!!?????

Question is: HOW MUCH is a LOT of HBC Points., and CURRENTLY...what is the BEST way to redeem these points for HBC GCs. Is there a way to get better than 80Kpts=$10???
...I've just started to really use SDM in the past year or so because I live close to one now, and have amassed quite a lot in a short time with the various bonus offers. I haven't reached 75,000 yet thoough, so I've yet to redeem.
WOW...for a second I was going to read that in your 'year or so' you've accumulated over a million points as well LOL. I would've fallen off my chair. fyi, <75K is not 'quite a lot' of SDM pts. imho 'a lot' of sdm pts is something in the order of +300K. Prosumers (opportunists) easily accumulate well over 100K in a few months (read six'ish? or a few decent promo events). Though I know people who have substantially more :eek: . Do the math. 75K is definately good on ya. Key point to remember...NEVER Shop at SDM unless you are being rewarded back at the HIGHEST possible tier possible. Otherwise, they're a rip-off joint. Though there are a few things that we can only buy from SDM, it pains me when I buy the $5 or $10 worth during zero reward events :D , LOLz.

OK OK, enough Jacking my HBC thread with this SDM stuff. we KNOW how good sdm is. I want to know all there is about HBC please! :o
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1554 posts
86 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote:
Jan 21st, 2010 5:28 pm
CURRENTLY...what is the BEST way to redeem these points for HBC GCs.
usually on weekends they have spend so much and get bonus points, usually around 35$ for x amount of points. I haven't paid too much attention but I think the value changes from week to week.

If you bring in a reusable bag you get 100 ppoints. for the transaction.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2009
2497 posts
216 upvotes
With all of my HBC Rewards, i could get a 450 GC.....thats not bad.....I have like 150,000 or something...
PSN: RunOrDie226
add me!
× < >