Entrepreneurship & Small Business

How much to open a small grocery store+meat shop?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2008 9:11 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 24, 2008
746 posts
3 upvotes

How much to open a small grocery store+meat shop?

How much will it cost me to open a small grocery store (around 1000 sqft) with a meat shop in the back?

I'm looking for a rough estimate, the shop will be based in the GTA area.

Please exclude the inventory from the estimate.

THANKS!
9 replies
[OP]
Jun 24, 2008
746 posts
3 upvotes
Mmmm, very useful info there..

---

Further info on my part:
- shop will be located in Mississauga/Milton area
- deli will be small, 1-2 people will be running it,
- the space will be leased
- all machinery will be bought
- 2-3 people will be running the registers
- there will be 3-4 freezers like these: http://www.cabots.com/images/FreezerLarge.jpg
- the grocery store won't be cooking and selling food

This is mainly going to be a family business, my parents are getting old and I want to keep em active and they have showed an interest to running a grocery store..

Thanks for your help!
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1829 posts
235 upvotes
Calgary
I think the information provided by dealon is about all you'll be able to get from a forum. You can take the suggestions and start building the actual estimate yourself. There is a fair bit of time in research, phone calling and legwork to get it together; but then that's half the fun of being an entrepreneur!

Alternatively, you can hire someone to do a full blown business plan including all the market research for you... ready to take to the bank for financing.

Maybe dealon has some free time :lol:
[OP]
Jun 24, 2008
746 posts
3 upvotes
Just Confused wrote:
Jul 28th, 2008 5:47 pm
Alternatively, you can hire someone to do a full blown business plan including all the market research for you...
How much is that going to cost me? :|
Penalty Box
May 16, 2006
3744 posts
258 upvotes
wrote:- the grocery store won't be cooking and selling food
I always thought that would be easy money though? Dominion here sells a container of quarter chicken/potatoes for $4, would be awesome if you have any high schools or businesses around.

Reconsider that, just my opinion
[OP]
Jun 24, 2008
746 posts
3 upvotes
CatDog wrote:
Jul 29th, 2008 9:42 pm
I always thought that would be easy money though? Dominion here sells a container of quarter chicken/potatoes for $4, would be awesome if you have any high schools or businesses around.

Reconsider that, just my opinion
But then I would have to hire a cook, which would want probably want a salary.. And that salary would come out of my pocket.. And the cook might want benefits too.. Which is going to cost me more money...

Maybe I should just ask my mom to make a little extra at dinner and sell the left overs at the store? My friends tell me her food is the best. :cheesygri
Penalty Box
May 16, 2006
3744 posts
258 upvotes
well I figured its a family business...

Not sure her cooking experience but BBQ chicken, rice and those small potatoes for $4-$5 at lunch/dinner hours I figure would be good.

At the end of the day if you have stock left, you have dinner for the night or sell it for 50% off :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7228 posts
439 upvotes
If you're really serious, why not take a job in a shop to get a feel for it? Then maybe buy an existing small business with a Bank loan if it's for you.
Signature removed due to external link rule violation.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1271 posts
100 upvotes
GTA
Let me tell you it's not gonna be easy...

-working 10+hr shifts all day everyday
-doing inventory and keeping track of everything
-finding suppliers that are reliable
-food cost/price rising almost weekly if not monthly (this will cut into your margins as you'll have to compete with the bigger chain stores)

it's not easy I tell you, it's not easy!
[OP]
Jun 24, 2008
746 posts
3 upvotes
Alright, thanks for the info guys - I'm going to start looking into all of this stuff.