Entrepreneurship & Small Business

How much to open a small grocery store+meat shop?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2008 9:11 am
Tags:
None
Jun 24, 2008
746 posts
2 upvotes

How much to open a small grocery store+meat shop?

How much will it cost me to open a small grocery store (around 1000 sqft) with a meat shop in the back?

I'm looking for a rough estimate, the shop will be based in the GTA area.

Please exclude the inventory from the estimate.

THANKS!
9 replies
[OP]
Jun 24, 2008
746 posts
2 upvotes
Mmmm, very useful info there..

---

Further info on my part:
- shop will be located in Mississauga/Milton area
- deli will be small, 1-2 people will be running it,
- the space will be leased
- all machinery will be bought
- 2-3 people will be running the registers
- there will be 3-4 freezers like these: http://www.cabots.com/images/FreezerLarge.jpg
- the grocery store won't be cooking and selling food

This is mainly going to be a family business, my parents are getting old and I want to keep em active and they have showed an interest to running a grocery store..

Thanks for your help!
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1786 posts
212 upvotes
Calgary
I think the information provided by dealon is about all you'll be able to get from a forum. You can take the suggestions and start building the actual estimate yourself. There is a fair bit of time in research, phone calling and legwork to get it together; but then that's half the fun of being an entrepreneur!

Alternatively, you can hire someone to do a full blown business plan including all the market research for you... ready to take to the bank for financing.

Maybe dealon has some free time :lol:
[OP]
Jun 24, 2008
746 posts
2 upvotes
Just Confused wrote:
Jul 28th, 2008 5:47 pm
Alternatively, you can hire someone to do a full blown business plan including all the market research for you...
How much is that going to cost me? :|
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
3445 posts
99 upvotes
wrote:- the grocery store won't be cooking and selling food
I always thought that would be easy money though? Dominion here sells a container of quarter chicken/potatoes for $4, would be awesome if you have any high schools or businesses around.

Reconsider that, just my opinion
[OP]
Jun 24, 2008
746 posts
2 upvotes
CatDog wrote:
Jul 29th, 2008 9:42 pm
I always thought that would be easy money though? Dominion here sells a container of quarter chicken/potatoes for $4, would be awesome if you have any high schools or businesses around.

Reconsider that, just my opinion
But then I would have to hire a cook, which would want probably want a salary.. And that salary would come out of my pocket.. And the cook might want benefits too.. Which is going to cost me more money...

Maybe I should just ask my mom to make a little extra at dinner and sell the left overs at the store? My friends tell me her food is the best. :cheesygri
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
3445 posts
99 upvotes
well I figured its a family business...

Not sure her cooking experience but BBQ chicken, rice and those small potatoes for $4-$5 at lunch/dinner hours I figure would be good.

At the end of the day if you have stock left, you have dinner for the night or sell it for 50% off :)
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1181 posts
75 upvotes
Let me tell you it's not gonna be easy...

-working 10+hr shifts all day everyday
-doing inventory and keeping track of everything
-finding suppliers that are reliable
-food cost/price rising almost weekly if not monthly (this will cut into your margins as you'll have to compete with the bigger chain stores)

it's not easy I tell you, it's not easy!
pennywize wrote:Go up to her in person and ask: Does this cloth smell like chloroform to you?
Success rate = 100%
MrBurns wrote:
Apr 18th, 2011 3:30 pm
I'd push an old lady in front of a semi to get a penny off the sidewalk.
[OP]
Jun 24, 2008
746 posts
2 upvotes
Alright, thanks for the info guys - I'm going to start looking into all of this stuff.
× < >