• Oct 25th, 2009 10:54 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
6245 posts
1779 upvotes

How much is it to repaint rear bumper?

My left side of my rear bumper was scraped today while it was parked. It happend literally seconds after i got in to my car... luckily i got in my car before it happend or else the lady would've just hit and run.

She was turning into the parking spot beside me but obviously was not far enough to make the turn, therefore her rear fender scraped into my bumper.

I was just wondering how much will it cost to repaint the bumper? its a 2000 corolla. If i recall correctly, they have to take off the current paint on the whole bumper and repaint the whole thing right?

Roughly how many hours will it take to do? and how much is the labour for this? What will be the price difference if i do it at private garage or at dealer?

I dont really want her to claim it because i dont want to be an a**hole and increase her premiums for 6 years... only because we work at the same building.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2007
4412 posts
303 upvotes
Toronto
Probably be around $400 at a normal body shop.
#KeepFightingMichael
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
6245 posts
1779 upvotes
VorteC wrote: Probably be around $400 at a normal body shop.
typically how many hours does it take to do? and how much do shops normally charge per hour?

also would someone be able to tell me dealer rates too so i can compare?
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14183 upvotes
Toronto
azncapcom wrote: typically how many hours does it take to do? and how much do shops normally charge per hour?

call your dealer or stop in for en estimate.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1296 posts
181 upvotes
Beamsville
Hit your dealer and get a estimate.
azncapcom wrote: I dont really want her to claim it because i dont want to be an a**hole and increase her premiums for 6 years... only because we work at the same building.
Hopefully she feels the same and doesn't become a ***** when you give her the cost of repairs.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2403 posts
291 upvotes
I had a big scratch along with a slight crack on my 2010 Corolla bumper which was repaired for $300 cash. Since your level of damage doesn't sound as severe as what I had, your damage shouldn't be more than $300 I suppose. Get it done at a private body shop WITHOUT going through the dealer. It will definitely save you $$.
azncapcom wrote: My left side of my rear bumper was scraped today while it was parked. It happend literally seconds after i got in to my car... luckily i got in my car before it happend or else the lady would've just hit and run.

She was turning into the parking spot beside me but obviously was not far enough to make the turn, therefore her rear fender scraped into my bumper.

I was just wondering how much will it cost to repaint the bumper? its a 2000 corolla. If i recall correctly, they have to take off the current paint on the whole bumper and repaint the whole thing right?

Roughly how many hours will it take to do? and how much is the labour for this? What will be the price difference if i do it at private garage or at dealer?

I dont really want her to claim it because i dont want to be an a**hole and increase her premiums for 6 years... only because we work at the same building.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23733 upvotes
Richmond Hill
$200-250 anymore and you are getting gouged...but wait, who cares it's the other party paying. Make sure you get compensated for loss of use as well.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2007
4412 posts
303 upvotes
Toronto
azncapcom wrote: typically how many hours does it take to do? and how much do shops normally charge per hour?

Shops don't usually have a set hourly-rate so it's hard to say. Painting involves time to dry in between layers and stuff too. I don't know how bad your damage is but my $400 estimate is for a bumper that has heavy paint damage at a reputable body shop.
#KeepFightingMichael
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
If you're expecting them to completely strip your bumper of all it's paint, then reapply the flex agent, prime, paint you're looking at more than $400.

Most likely they will paint the spot and blend it in with the surrounding pieces.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
VorteC wrote: Shops don't usually have a set hourly-rate so it's hard to say. Painting involves time to dry in between layers and stuff too. I don't know how bad your damage is but my $400 estimate is for a bumper that has heavy paint damage at a reputable body shop.
OP, sorry to thread-hijack.

VorteC, is there a particular body shop you have in mind. Do they do good paint matching? Could you let me know what body shop. I'm thinking of finally getting the rear bumper on my car painted after winter.
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
6364 posts
776 upvotes
Toronto
You're looking at about $400 just like most others said. I had the bumper replaced and repainted and it was about $800 total... $400 for paint and $400 for the bumper itself. My friend had his front bumper replaced as well and it cost roughly the same.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
6245 posts
1779 upvotes
The estimate i got was RIDICULOUS! I got quoted $900... for bumper and left quarter panel... the left quarter panel had a cm of scratch on it and he says the whole thing needs to be done also... the panel will cost $250 and the bumper will cost $650 (yes its to strip the whole thing and redo all the layers)

the total labour for all of this is 12.2 hrs? is that right or is that too long? also he said it'll take 3 days.

i called her and let her know it was that expensive, she said it was way too expensive in that case she might as well claim insurance she says. She says she wants to take it to her mechanic thats a family friend (but i dont exactly trust that because he may reduce the price significantly and do a crappy job).

i was thinking of asking her for $500 instead and i get my own mechanic to patch it up instead of do the whole thing? that way it'll cost less then $500 and the remainder i keep as compensation?
Aug 12, 2005
576 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
first of all, why are you concerned about how expensive it is to fix your car? someone scratched it, they should pay for it. if you're trying to profit from it, thats your own decision, however.

second of all, why are you concerned that the the lower price your family friend may charge to the car scratcher will affect the quality of work? a family friend would normally provide a discount for the same quality of work. because she is bringing a family friend business, she would be getting a discount to the normal cost.

why are you so concerned about the cost of fixing your car? getting the best QUALITY should be your concern. i may be completely wrong but, are you sure 'someone else' hit 'your car'?

again, i apologize if i'm wrong, but your focus on price seems fishy.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
$300-$500 is pretty standard, depending on the car and paint type and how bad the damage is (i.e. if anything more than mere sanding and light prep work is needed), and where you take it.

I'm sure if you take it to joe-blow auto body you can get it done for $200 but the quality? Well, you get what you pay for.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2003
1361 posts
28 upvotes
If it's a plastic bumper it will probably just get replaced. I would get around 3 or 4 quotes and then hand it to the lady. That way she knows you aren't lying. Other than that, just go to insurance if she's giving you a hassle.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
6245 posts
1779 upvotes
Dibble wrote: first of all, why are you concerned about how expensive it is to fix your car? someone scratched it, they should pay for it. if you're trying to profit from it, thats your own decision, however.

second of all, why are you concerned that the the lower price your family friend may charge to the car scratcher will affect the quality of work? a family friend would normally provide a discount for the same quality of work. because she is bringing a family friend business, she would be getting a discount to the normal cost.

why are you so concerned about the cost of fixing your car? getting the best QUALITY should be your concern. i may be completely wrong but, are you sure 'someone else' hit 'your car'?

again, i apologize if i'm wrong, but your focus on price seems fishy.
of course i want to take it to the most expensive and qualified place if i was the biggest ***hole. Im only being nice to this lady because she works in the same building as me... and i said i dont trust "her family friend" mechanic because he may reduce the price alot but just do the work in half the time (i.e. just roughly and quickly doing it and it looks half a**)

another reason why im being more lenient is because my car is not worth much, probably around $3000 right now. and having a $1000 job on it doesnt seem right for a scratch on a bumper lol...

but yeah i could be a total jack*** and just make her claim insurance and have her premiums skyrocket for just a little scratch on an old car.
Oct 13, 2009
48 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
azncapcom wrote: My left side of my rear bumper was scraped today while it was parked. It happend literally seconds after i got in to my car... luckily i got in my car before it happend or else the lady would've just hit and run.

Car is 9 yrs old. I am sure you will have more scraps if you don't have any now. Else, rust will eat the fenders soon. Just look around and ask for a reasonable amout from a reasonable place. I have quotes for complete paint on camry from $5,000 - $1,500 !!

Go to Color Paint Circuit (paintcircuit.com), they will prepare you a computerized color matched spray can for $28.75. Du-pont Clear coat is 12.95. Primer is (in needed) only $9.50. 1 roll of masking tape @ dollar store is $1.25. 1000/2000 grit Sand paper (if needed) $2.99. News papers you can find it free @ your home. you won't go over $50.00!

Bumber repair resin kit $27.95 @ cdn tire.

If you want a new bumber cover then

$33.15 US buy it now
shipping to Canada $179 US.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-REAR ... ccessories

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)