How much for replacing break pads for highlander

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2017 3:52 pm
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
429 posts
38 upvotes

How much for replacing break pads for highlander

I have an all wheel 2013 highlander. the original pads lasted for almost 4 years. My mechanic told me it's time to replace pads, front and rear. he quoted me 900 bukcs for oem pads. Just want to check if this price is reasonable? I want to verify the price because he charged me 70 bucks for oil change. His reason is that he used synthctic oil and my car is big so need more oil blah blah...for whatever reasons, if he charged me more than the dealer (50 something bucks for oil change at the dealer), it's just not right. So I am having doubts about this price.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Last edited by supermike on May 17th, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
54 replies
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
429 posts
38 upvotes
I have an all wheel 2013 highlander. the original pads lasted for almost 4 years. My mechanic told me it's time to replace pads, front and rear. he quoted me 900 bukcs for oem pads. Just want to check if this price is reasonable? I want to verify the price because he charged me 70 bucks for oil change. His reason is that he used synthctic oil and my car is big so need more oil blah blah...for whatever reasons, if he charged me more than the dealer (50 something bucks for oil change at the dealer), it's just not right. So I am having doubts about this price.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1017 posts
329 upvotes
Laval
If just pads and not rotors/disks...then its a ripoff...but at this price...pretty sure its both...not just the pads
Aug 8, 2015
753 posts
777 upvotes
Toronto
Why didn't you do the oil change at the dealer if it was cheaper?
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3296 posts
427 upvotes
PADs, is probably like 50-80 bucks, lazy to look it up. Install is easy, not sure the $900.

Most likely including rotors, but how sure you are getting OEM, as in is he going to Toyota and buying the parts???? If not, he is lying. You are better off asking for labour cost, and you bringing the material.
Last edited by Engi-Nir on May 17th, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 2, 2017
41 posts
8 upvotes
$70 for a synthetic oil change is pretty standard.

$900 bucks sounds like OEM pads and rotors. Which is what they usually do. Plus labour sounds like any other place.

Sometimes you can find better deals online for pads and rotors. And then find a mechanic that will install them for you. You can save 2-300 this way. But you should probably change them now since the brakes are probably close to the end of their life.
Penalty Box
May 1, 2012
6459 posts
2799 upvotes
Markham
Is he only changing the pads and resurfacing the rotors? Is that what he's saying? If that's what he's doing, then he's ripping you off in the highest regard.

If he's changing the pads and the rotors and he's using original TOYOTA OE (which I am 100% sure he isn't going to), then it's still a rip off.
Jan 27, 2016
7 posts
4 upvotes
Calgary, AB
If you want to save some dough, try googling how to do it yourself, I'm pretty sure there's a diy floating out there. Buy the necessary tools on amazon/kijiji and save yourself some money!
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
429 posts
38 upvotes
Anikiri wrote:
May 17th, 2017 11:13 am
Is he only changing the pads and resurfacing the rotors? Is that what he's saying? If that's what he's doing, then he's ripping you off in the highest regard.

If he's changing the pads and the rotors and he's using original TOYOTA OE (which I am 100% sure he isn't going to), then it's still a rip off.
Thanks for the info. I don't think he will need to do anything to the rotors. They are fine.
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
14954 posts
3957 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
$900 for pads only is a joke. Do you mean pads and rotors? Or just pads?

Cop some pads off of rock auto and find a good indie mechanic to install.

Also upvoted for hawt deal lol
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Penalty Box
May 1, 2012
6459 posts
2799 upvotes
Markham
Im'ma do ma racecar quote again. Rice up that Highlander.

Front Rotor:
CENTRIC 12744158L StopTech Sport Drilled/Slotted Disc: $127
CENTRIC 12744158R StopTech Sport Drilled/Slotted Disc: $127

Rear Rotor:
CENTRIC 12644159SL StopTech Sport Slotted Brake Disc: $85
CENTRIC 12644159SR StopTech Sport Slotted Brake Disc : $85

Front Pads:
AKEBONO ACT1324 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} ProACT Ultra Premium Ceramic Pad: $69

Rear Pads:
AKEBONO ACT1325 {#044660E020, 0446648120, 19203669} ProACT Ultra Premium Ceramic Pad: $57

Total cost of parts: $621.50 + $30 shipping

Pay some dude $100 - $120 per axle to swap them in, so another $240 max (costlier for SUV).

Total labour + parts = $890 for front and rear axles

Now you're asking yourself; "Why is he saying I am getting ripped off if he's quoting me the same price??"
Real easy here mate, these parts are THE ABSOLUTE BEST YOU CAN BUY ON THE MARKET and THEY MAKE YOUR HIGHLANDER A RACECAR.
But more importantly, these include THE BEST ROTORS in the market (for your car), whereas your mechanic isn't even gonna install any new rotors.

So yes, he's ripping you off. If you have $900 to blow, do what I just quoted and get it done once and basically never have to do brakes again.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
429 posts
38 upvotes
wow. Didn't expect so many replies. So I reply here before this thread is moved or delted. :)

Why I went to the mehanic if he charged me 70 for oil change? because we are friends. I went to him for my old 2002 civic for years. He charged 30 for oil change before. I used to do service for highlander at the dealer. Started going to his garage after the warranty expired.

Somebody said 70 bucks is normal. what I don't understand is why a garage charge more than the dealer? (around 52 after tax at the dealer).

I don't want to save dough, I have no interest in DYI myself. I pay whatever price it takes as long as it is reasonable. I just have some doubts after paying 70 for oil change. So I am trying to check if the price for pads is reasonable.
Jan 5, 2016
8 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hey OP, fellow toyota owner here. This'll help you out:

OEM Pads = $20 CAD
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyo ... e+pad,1684

I change my own brakes and it usually takes an hr to change the pads. Most labour rates are around 100-120, he's essentially charging you 7-8 hours of labour costs. It's very expensive and I'd recommend getting quotes elsewhere.

Ask for quotes on 'pad replacements' and see what you'll get, my independent estimate for your is ~$200. Hope this helps!
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2008
1452 posts
229 upvotes
Dealership doesn't use full synthetic unless you request it. Full synthetic costs more and $70 seems about average in price.