Automotive

How much for replacing break pads for highlander

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2017 3:52 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6761 posts
975 upvotes
I think the answer you got is if the pads service include changing of rotors then it is, without then no. Usually you would change the rotors out if you already had a pad change once before, but sounds like this is your first pad change so he wouldn't really need to change the rotors too, usually just resurface the original rotors at this point.

Honestly, a better way to check is just to contact your dealer and ask how much it is to do this or just price for a new set of pads for your car. They usually are more than happy to quote you.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
433 posts
40 upvotes
saffant wrote:
May 17th, 2017 11:31 am
Dealership doesn't use full synthetic unless you request it. Full synthetic costs more and $70 seems about average in price.
Got it. I understand know. That's why its always good to ask! :)
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
433 posts
40 upvotes
letmewritethatdown wrote:
May 17th, 2017 11:30 am
Hey OP, fellow toyota owner here. This'll help you out:

OEM Pads = $20 CAD
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyo ... e+pad,1684

I change my own brakes and it usually takes an hr to change the pads. Most labour rates are around 100-120, he's essentially charging you 7-8 hours of labour costs. It's very expensive and I'd recommend getting quotes elsewhere.

Ask for quotes on 'pad replacements' and see what you'll get, my independent estimate for your is ~$200. Hope this helps!
Thanks a lot for the info. Called the mechanic. He said the price includes pads and rotors. He said it's not necessary to chagne the rotor. but it will start having noise in 1 year or so. So he suggested replacing all instead of saving couple of hurnderds of bucks this time.
May 7, 2012
307 posts
91 upvotes
Yep my Highlander costs run the same for synth oil and brakes. Could we find cheaper? Maybe, but right now I trust the guy.
Mar 2, 2017
41 posts
8 upvotes
supermike wrote:
May 17th, 2017 11:38 am
Got it. I understand know. That's why its always good to ask! :)
Also, if he's your friend, you should ask to just bring in your own oil and filter, and ask him to change it for you and charge for labor only. You can buy your own jug of synthetic and filter for about $30, and then he will charge you about $25 for labour. I've been going to the same guy for 2 years and he doesn't do it for everybody, just regulars.
Penalty Box
May 1, 2012
6466 posts
2808 upvotes
Markham
supermike wrote:
May 17th, 2017 11:42 am
Thanks a lot for the info. Called the mechanic. He said the price includes pads and rotors. He said it's not necessary to chagne the rotor. but it will start having noise in 1 year or so. So he suggested replacing all instead of saving couple of hurnderds of bucks this time.
Rotor's don't cause noise. While I agree that you should change rotors, but they don't cause noise. The pads (when spent) cause the noise.

He's taking you for a ride, do what I said, pay about the same and get the best in the market. Or do what engineered said and pay less for your brakes.
Aug 18, 2014
284 posts
136 upvotes
Markham, ON
supermike wrote:
May 17th, 2017 11:25 am
wow. Didn't expect so many replies. So I reply here before this thread is moved or delted. :)

Why I went to the mehanic if he charged me 70 for oil change? because we are friends. I went to him for my old 2002 civic for years. He charged 30 for oil change before. I used to do service for highlander at the dealer. Started going to his garage after the warranty expired.

Somebody said 70 bucks is normal. what I don't understand is why a garage charge more than the dealer? (around 52 after tax at the dealer).

I don't want to save dough, I have no interest in DYI myself. I pay whatever price it takes as long as it is reasonable. I just have some doubts after paying 70 for oil change. So I am trying to check if the price for pads is reasonable.
Are you sure dealer only charge you $50??
If you see signs like "OIL CHANGE $50!" you are probably missing the fine prints like "starting at $50, maybe go up to $250"

$50 is barely enough to cover the cost of oil and filter..And most dealer charge more than $50 labor not including the cost of oil and filter.
Feb 22, 2013
55 posts
56 upvotes
Antigonish
Assuming you have a 3.5L V6...

Front Pads = $62.32
Front Rotors = $71.09ea $142.18 for 2
Rear Pads = $50.18
Rear Rotors = $59.69 ea $119.38 for 2

Oil Filter = $9.59 (Wix Gold)
Oil = 6qts of 0w20 synthetic at $4.89 ea $29.34 total

Subtotal =$412.99

Total = $474.94 plus labour
Jan 20, 2012
459 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
$70 oil change with full synthetic is normal for a Highlander. Richmond Hill Toyota is running oil change promo for $56+tax+fee full synthetic. http://www.richmondhilltoyota.com/specials/service Last I checked they used 5W-20 which is good for your Highlander. My Highlander uses 5W-30 as it runs the older engine.

$900 for OEM pads + rotor is not bad. I was quoted by Richmond Hil Toyota for $60/Pad, $160/rotor, 3 hours of labour, which was about $1250 after tax.
supermike wrote:
May 17th, 2017 11:01 am
I have an all wheel 2013 highlander. the original pads lasted for almost 4 years. My mechanic told me it's time to replace pads, front and rear. he quoted me 900 bukcs for oem pads. Just want to check if this price is reasonable? I want to verify the price because he charged me 70 bucks for oil change. His reason is that he used synthctic oil and my car is big so need more oil blah blah...for whatever reasons, if he charged me more than the dealer (50 something bucks for oil change at the dealer), it's just not right. So I am having doubts about this price.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Aug 8, 2015
753 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
supermike wrote:
May 17th, 2017 11:25 am
Why I went to the mehanic if he charged me 70 for oil change? because we are friends.
Somebody said 70 bucks is normal. what I don't understand is why a garage charge more than the dealer? (around 52 after tax at the dealer).
Well maybe he is taking advantage of that friendship to charge you more
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1032 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto
i bought all my pads and rotors from the Amazon-Powerstop RFD deal, $180+tax for all corners shipped, and will give them to ivan @ iGarage to install it onto my 70k km 2014 Toyota Venza. Check amazon frequently, today it can be had @ heavily discounted price, tomorrow could go back to regular price.
Nov 27, 2012
59 posts
18 upvotes
LONDON
You may have another option, call Toyota dealer ask for quote front and back Pads and rotors (they always replace both) and call part service ask for quote then ask your mechanic how much for labor cost to install you supply parts pay cash no tax (about $200) then you know what to do ...
Mar 1, 2016
44 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I am having some serious doubts about your mechanic! Why would you pay more at an independent than at a dealer for something? What did the dealership quote you for this? Did you get a quote from any other mechanics? Price shop, but also reach out to your social network to get referrals to a good mechanic.