Oct 6, 2010
7804 posts
1964 upvotes
Toronto
Don't forget 4 cans

ImageImageImageImage
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
Penalty Box
May 1, 2012
6466 posts
2808 upvotes
Markham
koffey wrote:
May 17th, 2017 1:14 pm
Don't forget 4 cans

ImageImageImageImage
Careful mate, you don't wanna get sued.

I wonder how many RFDers still remember this.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
2530 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anikiri wrote:
May 17th, 2017 11:46 am
Rotor's don't cause noise. While I agree that you should change rotors, but they don't cause noise. The pads (when spent) cause the noise.

He's taking you for a ride, do what I said, pay about the same and get the best in the market. Or do what engineered said and pay less for your brakes.
Old rotors + new pads very often will cause noise. This is caused by the groove on the old rotors grinding against the sharp edge of the new pads. That's why you either have the rotors turned or you replace rotors at the same time.

I don't understand the 1 year comment though. They either make noise or they don't in the first few weeks.
Jan 18, 2005
351 posts
21 upvotes
I'll add my $0.02.
If you cheap out on rotors and pads expect them to rust out quickly. I have been doing my own brakes for at least 25 years. These days I only buy genuine Toyota brake parts. Not worth the hassle for me to use cheap parts, since I'm doing the work myself and saving labour costs. May not apply to all if you just pay someone to do it.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4363 posts
2964 upvotes
GTA
PurpleTiger wrote:
May 17th, 2017 2:13 pm
I'll add my $0.02.
If you cheap out on rotors and pads expect them to rust out quickly. I have been doing my own brakes for at least 25 years. These days I only buy genuine Toyota brake parts. Not worth the hassle for me to use cheap parts, since I'm doing the work myself and saving labour costs. May not apply to all if you just pay someone to do it.
Definitely don't cheap out on the cheapest parts, but Centric/ATE/Brembo aftermarket parts are perfectly fine. They're often suppliers to OEMs anyhow.
That said you can sometimes get decent prices when you buy parts from dealers.
I used to buy oil and filters from the BMW dealership because they were pretty cheap.
Penalty Box
May 1, 2012
6466 posts
2808 upvotes
Markham
engineered wrote:
May 17th, 2017 2:26 pm
Definitely don't cheap out on the cheapest parts, but Centric/ATE/Brembo aftermarket parts are perfectly fine. They're often suppliers to OEMs anyhow.
That said you can sometimes get decent prices when you buy parts from dealers.
I used to buy oil and filters from the BMW dealership because they were pretty cheap.
I don't actually understand this one. I buy my VW504/507 oil from the VW dealership... because they're 50% cheaper than Canadian Tire. I don't get it.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4363 posts
2964 upvotes
GTA
Anikiri wrote:
May 17th, 2017 2:45 pm
I don't actually understand this one. I buy my VW504/507 oil from the VW dealership... because they're 50% cheaper than Canadian Tire. I don't get it.
They likely use it to bring people into the dealership. They're still making a small profit on it and they have the chance that you'll see a nice new Golf R and want to buy it, or have the dealer do some work on your car, or buy some accessories.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6761 posts
975 upvotes
I don't think op is trying to cheap out on parts, he just wanted to see if the quote make sense which to me it doesn't since this is the first pad change and instead of just resurfacing the rotors the mechanic is asking to replace outright, saying they will "make noise" otherwise. Yeah, if you don't resurface perhaps but everyone do that so replacing just seems extreme and unnecessary. If this is the mechanics own preference then it is fine but it is at the Op expense of extra labour.
PurpleTiger wrote:
May 17th, 2017 2:13 pm
I'll add my $0.02.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
433 posts
40 upvotes
hdom wrote:
May 17th, 2017 11:57 pm
I don't think op is trying to cheap out on parts, he just wanted to see if the quote make sense which to me it doesn't since this is the first pad change and instead of just resurfacing the rotors the mechanic is asking to replace outright, saying they will "make noise" otherwise. Yeah, if you don't resurface perhaps but everyone do that so replacing just seems extreme and unnecessary. If this is the mechanics own preference then it is fine but it is at the Op expense of extra labour.
Thanks for your thoughts. I don't think I want to replace rotors. I will ask how much for pads+resurfacing. Anyone knows how much a mechanic charges for those? let's say pads are oem.

I plan to keep this car for another 2 years, then I will trade in. Just wondering if there is huge difference between regular pads and oem pads if I will drive this car for another 2 years or so.

Thanks everyone for your information! very helpful.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8230 posts
2395 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It's not worth it to resurface rotors. The cost in labour is about the same as buying new ones...
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4363 posts
2964 upvotes
GTA
EP32k2 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:32 am
It's not worth it to resurface rotors. The cost in labour is about the same as buying new ones...
+1. Just buy the parts yourself and it will be cheaper than resurfacing. Resurfacing makes little sense these days.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2218 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
Synthetic oil change $70 is a fairly good deal, and what I would do it for. I would charge $100 labour per axle, plus the cost of pads for a brake job. Extra $25 labour per rotor, plus cost of rotor if any were bad. As said, it isnt worth resurfacing rotors.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
433 posts
40 upvotes
I called dealer today. 1200+ for pads and rotors. However, only 400 bucks for pads and resurfacing! wow, that's good price. But they said it's not up to us what to do, I need to pay them 58 bucks first to check whether replacing or resurfacing. I am tempted to pay this 58 bucks. :)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15880 posts
4747 upvotes
Ottawa
You are still undecided about resurfacing the rotors?
Just replace them all and not worry again for the next 4-5years.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
433 posts
40 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
May 19th, 2017 11:09 am
You are still undecided about resurfacing the rotors?
Just replace them all and not worry again for the next 4-5years.
I only want to keep this car for another 2 years or so. Moreover, dealer will charge only 400 bucks for pads and resurfacing.