How much for replacing break pads for highlander

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2017 3:52 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9589 posts
1252 upvotes
Toronto
Good information here. Bought a older Rav4 and definitely plan on changing the rotors and pads myself. Alot of youtube vids out there. Doesn't seem too hard. Just more time consuming for the first timer.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
435 posts
40 upvotes
at1212b wrote:
May 19th, 2017 11:35 am
Good information here. Bought a older Rav4 and definitely plan on changing the rotors and pads myself. Alot of youtube vids out there. Doesn't seem too hard. Just more time consuming for the first timer.
Exactly! That's why I love RFD. We can get lots of useful info here. I would like to DYI. But I still don't have the guts to work on important parts like break by myself. :(
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2007
4764 posts
2800 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
supermike wrote:
May 19th, 2017 11:28 am
I only want to keep this car for another 2 years or so. Moreover, dealer will charge only 400 bucks for pads and resurfacing.
They gonna get you in to inspect...and then once you are in for the $58 diagnostic fee they gonna tell you you need new rotors.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4383 posts
2978 upvotes
GTA
supermike wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:15 am
I called dealer today. 1200+ for pads and rotors. However, only 400 bucks for pads and resurfacing! wow, that's good price. But they said it's not up to us what to do, I need to pay them 58 bucks first to check whether replacing or resurfacing. I am tempted to pay this 58 bucks. :)
Just buy new rotors. It will be cheaper than $58 to inspect plus cost of resurfacing. There's also a bigger chance that resurfaced rotors will have problems down the road, and you may actually wear the rotors too thin before you get rid of it.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4383 posts
2978 upvotes
GTA
supermike wrote:
May 19th, 2017 11:55 am
Exactly! That's why I love RFD. We can get lots of useful info here. I would like to DYI. But I still don't have the guts to work on important parts like break by myself. :(
You replace your brakes when they break...
Brakes are not a hard DIY. The only thing easier to do on a car is change your oil.
Feb 6, 2011
969 posts
530 upvotes
supermike wrote:
I called dealer today. 1200+ for pads and rotors. However, only 400 bucks for pads and resurfacing! wow, that's good price. But they said it's not up to us what to do, I need to pay them 58 bucks first to check whether replacing or resurfacing. I am tempted to pay this 58 bucks. :)
If the rotors are smooth and there's no brake pulsation, just leave them, if they are above minimum thickness.

If they are rusty or have deep ridges, replace them, not worth resurfacing.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6765 posts
975 upvotes
The good news is, you now know your guy isn't too far out of the ball park and did you try to ask him how much for just resurfacing rotors only since you don't plan to keep the car.

Otherwise, I pay the $60 to inspect at the dealer and tell them you are going to take it to other guy if you can't resurface so they are less likely to tell you otherwise and make you buy new rotors with them.

Either way, looks like you are saving money, just a matter of how much so good luck.
supermike wrote:
Last edited by hdom on May 19th, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1304 posts
557 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
at1212b wrote:
May 19th, 2017 11:35 am
My first time was incredibly difficult because the rotors had rusted on there really good. I had to whack each rotor for like an hour before it finally came off. Also I had to drill out the screws that held them becuase they had rusted so bad that even an impact driver couldn't screw them out. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time and work slowly, double checking everything. There is a great tutorial on youtube by chrisfix.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4418 posts
2762 upvotes
Montreal
billford wrote:
May 19th, 2017 2:36 pm
If the rotors are smooth and there's no brake pulsation, just leave them, if they are above minimum thickness.

If they are rusty or have deep ridges, replace them, not worth resurfacing.
The most logical and practical answer in this thread. The fear mongering on this site concerning maintenance is staggering. People tossing perfectly fine OEM assembly line rotors to replace with inferior aftermarket because it's 'cheap'. smh
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9589 posts
1252 upvotes
Toronto
BeapChastard wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:12 pm
My first time was incredibly difficult because the rotors had rusted on there really good. I had to whack each rotor for like an hour before it finally came off. Also I had to drill out the screws that held them becuase they had rusted so bad that even an impact driver couldn't screw them out. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time and work slowly, double checking everything. There is a great tutorial on youtube by chrisfix.
Yea, thanks for the heads up on it and link. Good point. Never as easy as it looks by someone who has done it many times. Even the small things can slow you down. I'm picking up a used one shortly, has been taken care of pretty well so hopefully it's not as bad. I'll have to double check to see when they were changed last but when I test drove it, it felt like it could use it (also, more so for me to gain experience trying too). Maybe I'll spray on the liquid wrench over a couple of days to let it soak in.

I'll probably also get my dad to help. He's not too familiar with cars but is good with his hands and understands general mechanics.