Home & Garden

How much should it cost to replace a water line?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2010 8:25 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 15, 2008
17 posts

How much should it cost to replace a water line?

I got a call last week from the utility company saying the line between my house and the street supply line is leaking and will need to be repaired or replaced. Since the house is over 50 years old and to my knowledge the line is original, relacement will likely be the only option.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know how much it will cost? The water meter is about 50 feet from the street....add another 15 to 20 if the supply line is on the other side of the road (really not sure).

Also if anyone knows a reputable plumbing company in the Chatham-Kent area that would be appreciated. Thanks!
2 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
Depends on how much digging needs to be done, or if any concrete needs to be busted, etc.
Prob a couple grand. You might be able to get labour cheaper where you are though.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Nov 24, 2002
890 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
These days there's very little digging that needs to be done. All the water lines on my street were just replaced from 1/2" solid lead to 3/4" copper. They dig a hole next to the water main, and one next to you house .. then they use something they call a "torpedo" with an air compressor to pull the new line from one hole to the next.

If they need to run a new line from your house out, then they break the floor next to the water meter on the inside, and shoot the torpedo from that hole to the one outside and connect the lines together there using the outside shut-off valve.

In Toronto, the shut-off valve is now placed on the property line (Which for most people is at the bottom of their porch stairs)

City job - free, your side of the job - depends on how much drywall/tile they need to go through. In my case, unfinished utility room, my cost was 1300$.

But going from plugged 1/2" lead to 3/4" copper is equivalent to moving into a brand new house when it comes to water pressure. I can now run the dish washer, washing machine and shower at the same time. :)
× < >