Tags:
None
Feb 12, 2010
508 posts
8 upvotes
Ontario

How much should I charge per Km?

Hi Everyone,

My Boss give me an option to do some deliveries and pick ups with my Van (extra money besides my normal pay rate).

I drive a Dodge Grand Caravan 4L, I put 89 cuz of Manual recommendations.
Tank have 75L capacity.
Any idea how much should I charge per km?
How do I do this? I dont wanna charge just for the gas, of course I want to make some money of this.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me to the right calculations. :)
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
7918 posts
322 upvotes
My company pays out $.38 per km I believe. That covers gas and maintenance. You should also ask your boss if he can give you a t2200 form so you can write off your expenses to.

revised = $.41
[OP]
Feb 12, 2010
508 posts
8 upvotes
Ontario
r1lee wrote:
Jul 15th, 2010 10:25 pm
My company pays out $.38 per km I believe. That covers gas and maintenance. You should also ask your boss if he can give you a t2200 form so you can write off your expenses to.
Thanks for your reply, Im going to check about the T2200 form.
So $.38 seems ok, I did make an experiment today:

I Put $15 with an empty tank gives me 95km Driving 70% local.

$.38 x 95km = $36... so Im making $21 over this 95km is this worth it?
May 26, 2010
46 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
I get $0.60 per km, which would mean you could get even more money out of this :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
9202 posts
638 upvotes
0.40 per KM is what my company pays. and I feel it's a reasonable price
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19749 posts
1477 upvotes
Personally I don't think it's ever worth it to use a personal vehicle for work purposes like deliveries, etc. Simply because the amount you'd really need to charge to cover yourself and your car would never be paid out by your employer. They would have to pay me $10/km for me to engage in those shens.

However I've seen far too many people do stuff like this and I always wonder why they would do that to their car, and how they don't realise they are always on the losing end of that deal.

Unless it's your own company and/or you are self-employed and it's for that, just don't do it. Trust me.

Also remember that your insurance company should be notified of the fact that you are using the vehicle for work and as a result they may increase your premiums for the work usage. If you should choose not to notify them you could end up with a denied claim and/or cancelled policy at some point.

Trust me. It's just. Not. Worth it. The reason your boss wants you to take this option is simple. He/the company are the winner and you, you my friend are the loser.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
3287 posts
157 upvotes
Ottawa
I think the Fed Government pays $0.55/km

As far as the previous poster, I don't know how much your car costs you but mine doesn't cost me $0.55/km. Especially considering that a lot of the costs (payments, depreciation, insurance) need to be paid even if you use the car or not.
Nov 13, 2007
762 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
I got 50 cents/km.

I filed it as expense (along with other items). so it's tax free.
In general, each company has their own rate. You can't file higher rate because you drive a gas guzzler.
Jan 25, 2010
19 posts
Calgary
I got $1/KM when I worked in the oil patch, but I needed a truck with chains, safety gear and mud/ice road tires.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2008
1028 posts
77 upvotes
Etobicoke
Geez,
I work for a cheap company based on the posted amounts. I get a measley 0.37 Cents/km. But then again I rairly use my own vechile, when the chance is there I ask someone who is in the office that has a company car.
The last thing I would want is to be in an accedent while running errands for the boss. > :(
The only place you're going to find a helping hand, is at he end of your own wrist. Joe Mondello
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
8979 posts
238 upvotes
Dont forget to notify your insurance company that you`ll be using it for business use
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5855 posts
100 upvotes
0.44 and 0.51 is what i got paid before
--
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
15246 posts
532 upvotes
Niagara Falls
christiney29 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2010 11:19 pm
I get $0.60 per km, which would mean you could get even more money out of this :)
wow, nice company you work for.

The city pays $0.52 per km and I thought that was overly generous.
HEATWARE (21 - 0) - evilbaby
× < >