Wheels and Tires

How much should I be paying for car maintenance?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2018 1:34 am
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12668 posts
2255 upvotes
London
Going through the thread, it looks like you got billed for:
Fuel service = $250
Oil change= $70?
Wheel alignment = $120?
Total = $440 + tax $60 = $500 ?

The "fuel service" is probably included cleaning the throttle body as well. At 24k, it's probably still pretty clean so the didn't need it. Also, the alignment was probably still good, so it went on/off the rack

Unfortunately, many of the so called "service advisors" should really be called "service salesmen" as they get sales bonus/ commission based on the extra maintenance services they sell. Many don't have any car mechanical background.

The sales reasoning is "I don't want the next guy to eat my lunch"

If I don't sell you the 24k service right now (even though you don't need it right now), You'll wait until the next time you come in. You'll likely deal with a different "service advisor" so he will get any bonus/ commission, not me.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8389 posts
943 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
The best thing you can do is go by your service manual that came with the car. Doing that you are doing exactly what the Manufacture of the car recommends & not what the dealer THINKS you should do. This way you should save a lot of money.

Also a lot of the stuff may be replace the cabin filter as you know you can do very cheaply or check fluids which you can do also. When I go to the dealer I tell them exactly what I want... an Oil change.... thats all.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Oct 28, 2011
33 posts
16 upvotes
Aurora, Ontario
@Pete_Coach was clearly in car business before. He indicated that there could be something wrong with the car at 24k. Several other members are being logical that for cars with 24k km, the fuel system and car alignment should be good, and don't require any attention.

You should add more detail whether you car has any issue, as well as statistics, e.g. whether there is an uneven tire wear, steering wheel vibration at highway, mpg before vs after, steering wheel going to 1 side, etc. If there is, then @Pete_Coach is right that you should spend money, else other members are right that it is a sales pitch.

I never perform any fuel injector cleaning for few of my cars even at 20 yr old, e.g. Honda Prelude, Accord, Civic, Integra, BMW 3 series. I only perform car alignment when there is uneven tire wear, or vibration at hwy.

If you can't tell/feel/observe any of those issues, then we can't comment much whether any repair/service/maintenance is required.

I will advice to PM @Pete_Coach for a good mechanic near your area, since he was in the business before. Some dealers are more honest, while some are profit driven.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30260 posts
5254 upvotes
Ottawa
feels1 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2017 1:09 pm
@Pete_Coach was clearly in car business before. He indicated that there could be something wrong with the car at 24k. Several other members are being logical that for cars with 24k km, the fuel system and car alignment should be good, and don't require any attention.

You should add more detail whether you car has any issue, as well as statistics, e.g. whether there is an uneven tire wear, steering wheel vibration at highway, mpg before vs after, steering wheel going to 1 side, etc. If there is, then @Pete_Coach is right that you should spend money, else other members are right that it is a sales pitch.

I never perform any fuel injector cleaning for few of my cars even at 20 yr old, e.g. Honda Prelude, Accord, Civic, Integra, BMW 3 series. I only perform car alignment when there is uneven tire wear, or vibration at hwy.

If you can't tell/feel/observe any of those issues, then we can't comment much whether any repair/service/maintenance is required.

I will advice to PM @Pete_Coach for a good mechanic near your area, since he was in the business before. Some dealers are more honest, while some are profit driven.
Thanks for the confidence I’m my words. My intent was to say that at 24K Km’s, the car can require maintenance. Even at 10K Km’s it can require maintence. The maintence is determined by many factors, some of which you have mentioned but, many are based on the user themselves. Hard driving, hard braking, hitting curbs all contribute to wear and tear and damage. Poor gas can easily affect the injection system and it becomes inefficient.
Making general statements like you don’t need any maintence fo XX miles is poor advice. Preventative maintence ensures long life and good performance of your vehicle. Waiting till there is a problem or driving to failure will only cost you more for the repair as well as any ancillary problems caused by the main failure.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8201 posts
1680 upvotes
Stealership maintenance is just that , steal. Get a indie mechanic. My Kia 400$+ is done with the oil change at 50$. Same with my Honda B that is 350$+. 90% is inspections, that's just that, visual inspections, and stealerships charge like they take your car apart to actually inspect something. No it's just visual. My indie car guy does it all for me when he changes the oil and the car it's up on the hoist. He signs my owner's manual with the checks done and I'm covered for warranty.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/marketp ... -1.4300557
http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/ ... ng-you-off
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6046 posts
725 upvotes
Take a look in the owners manual to see what the car manufacturer says should be done at 24K and compare that with what the dealership did. A lot of what the dealership did are probably simple basic maintenance things that you could do yourself if you wanted to. If not, well, the dealer is always happy to do them for you and to charge you accordingly which appears to be the case here.

Oh, and remember that the dealer's service charts and mileages are rarely ever the same as what the manufacturer specifies in the owners manual. The owners manual is the bible. It's the only schedule you should follow.
Oct 28, 2011
33 posts
16 upvotes
Aurora, Ontario
Pete_Coach wrote:
Dec 31st, 2017 1:38 pm
Thanks for the confidence I’m my words. My intent was to say that at 24K Km’s, the car can require maintenance. Even at 10K Km’s it can require maintence. The maintence is determined by many factors, some of which you have mentioned but, many are based on the user themselves. Hard driving, hard braking, hitting curbs all contribute to wear and tear and damage. Poor gas can easily affect the injection system and it becomes inefficient.
Making general statements like you don’t need any maintence fo XX miles is poor advice. Preventative maintence ensures long life and good performance of your vehicle. Waiting till there is a problem or driving to failure will only cost you more for the repair as well as any ancillary problems caused by the main failure.
Thank you @Pete_Coach for the clarification. It is possible to perform a flow rate test in the fuel injector to determine whether it requires maintenance. Modern car ECU can show the data without physically removing it. So mechanics can tell easily whether that is required, and even show the data to car owner to perform needed maintenance. Furthermore, they can provide before vs after flow rate to convince their recommendation does show improvement.

Early maintenance is cheaper than repair when it failed. However, not many mechanics are able to show car owner evidence that it is required, as well as before vs after data comparison. For fuel injector, they can provide before and after flow rate, then everyone are convince the flush is needed.