• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2011 4:41 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 10, 2008
6 posts

"How Much Tax Fee is in Buffalo "

Can any one who has been to buffalo give me some rate's on how much tax is in buffalo. I'm going there this weekend to do some shopping and I wanted to get some idea on how much i should bring, because once you get to the Canadian border you will be taxed on everything that was brought.
12 replies
Feb 6, 2005
222 posts
2 upvotes
Buying stuff in Buffalo is subject to 8.75% tax on items bought.
Once you get to the border, they look at all your receipts (if they pull you over) and determine the difference in tax you need to pay for canada. If you are gone for 24 hours then you are allowed to bring back $50 worth tax free, 48 hours is $400.

Info is located at http://www.peacebridge.com/dutyfree.php#usa
[OP]
Mar 10, 2008
6 posts
ashpanash wrote:
Jun 30th, 2008 10:01 am
Once you get to the border, they look at all your receipts (if they pull you over) and determine the difference in tax you need to pay for canada. If you are gone for 24 hours then you are allowed to bring back $50 worth tax free, 48 hours is $400.

Thanks a bunch, I was waiting for someone with knowledge to explain the details i needed to know.

I have a another question, I will be only able to spend 50$ in purchase's if I'm there for under 24 hrs.
[OP]
Mar 10, 2008
6 posts
tunyce wrote:
Jun 30th, 2008 12:39 pm
Thanks a bunch, I was waiting for someone with knowledge to explain the details i needed to know.

I have a another question, I will be only able to spend 50$ in purchase's if I'm there for under 24 hrs.
Sorry for the stupid question, I didn't read the details correctly. But I wanted to know if I were to spend $500 in a 24hrs stay the tax I would subjected to would be 8.75% right? Meaning I would pay 8.75% on the $500 which would be $62.50. Correct me if I'm wrong, I just need some example to better my understanding. Thanks.
Aug 22, 2003
15539 posts
960 upvotes
Niagara Falls
ashpanash wrote:
Jun 30th, 2008 10:01 am

Not quite right, not surprising when the info comes from a duty free shop that is only interested in boosting sales. You don't pay the difference in tax. Both taxes (GST and PST) are due and payable at the border as well as duty if applicable to the item when crossing into Canada. The BSO has the discretion to either pull you over to pay or to wave you through. The 24 hr exemption is a tricky one. It only applies up to $50. If you spend $50.01 you loose the exemption altogether and the full value becomes subject to taxes and/or duty.

tunyce, if you spend $500 on a day trip you would be required to pay the GST and PST on the Canadian dollar value when coming back. It's up to the BSO if you actually get pulled over to pay though.
[OP]
Mar 10, 2008
6 posts
CSK'sMom wrote:
Jun 30th, 2008 1:03 pm
Not quite right, not surprising when the info comes from a duty free shop that is only interested in boosting sales. You don't pay the difference in tax. Both taxes (GST and PST) are due and payable at the border as well as duty if applicable to the item when crossing into Canada. The BSO has the discretion to either pull you over to pay or to wave you through. The 24 hr exemption is a tricky one. It only applies up to $50. If you spend $50.01 you loose the exemption altogether and the full value becomes subject to taxes and/or duty.

tunyce, if you spend $500 on a day trip you would be required to pay the GST and PST on the Canadian dollar value when coming back. It's up to the BSO if you actually get pulled over to pay though.
So Basically whatever my spending is, once i get to the border I'll have to pay the Canadian tax fee? Also I'm travelling there by a Greyhound bus, so I'm certain I'll be subjected to the tax regardless right?
Aug 22, 2003
15539 posts
960 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Yes, the taxes are due. As for the Greyhound issue, the BSO still has the discretion of whether to actually send you in the office to pay. Basically, it's a crap shoot. We always tell people this.... If paying the Canadian taxes makes the purchase not a deal, then don't buy. Always figure on paying the tax and if you don't have to consider the purchase an even better deal. ;)
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2730 posts
40 upvotes
Markham
Okay. question on this.

If the purchases are over the excepted value, we only pay sales tax (adding up to 13%)?? There is no import duties?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
CSK'sMom wrote:
Jun 30th, 2008 5:26 pm
Yes, the taxes are due. As for the Greyhound issue, the BSO still has the discretion of whether to actually send you in the office to pay. Basically, it's a crap shoot. We always tell people this.... If paying the Canadian taxes makes the purchase not a deal, then don't buy. Always figure on paying the tax and if you don't have to consider the purchase an even better deal. ;)

Related question: if you are on a Greyhound and get sent into the office, what happens? Do they wait for you? What if it takes a really long time?
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1970 posts
83 upvotes
Manatus wrote:
Apr 24th, 2011 10:53 pm
Related question: if you are on a Greyhound and get sent into the office, what happens? Do they wait for you? What if it takes a really long time?

There's pressure on the BSOs to keep it moving as fast as possible to avoid delays to the other bus passengers, so on the whole, 75% of the time if you're called into the office, the bus will wait. More often than not, if the BSO decides to charge you tax on value over your exemption, they won't pull you into the office, they'll just do it at the kiosk.

If they take a really long time, there's nothing they'll do for you. You can either beg and plead with the next Greyhound/Megabus driver, or call a cab and get them to drive you to the Niagara Falls GO terminal.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10139 posts
1698 upvotes
Kingston
chinaboy1021 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2011 10:47 pm
Okay. question on this.

If the purchases are over the excepted value, we only pay sales tax (adding up to 13%)?? There is no import duties?

Yes you have to pay sales tax, but wrong on "no import duties". Completely depends on what you buy. For example, I recall that clothes made outside North America should attract 18% duty. Whether they charge the duty or not is another matter.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2006
1658 posts
47 upvotes
you don't feel tax in buffalo
you buy things at leaset 20% cheaper than in Canada
even if you pay 8% tax you still ahead
and keep in mind u$ is 5% lower than c$
declare @ border if you're over your max
For sale threads:
Coins/
Cloth/
Phones/
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
554 upvotes
redkid wrote:
May 5th, 2011 11:22 am
you don't feel tax in buffalo
you buy things at leaset 20% cheaper than in Canada
even if you pay 8% tax you still ahead
and keep in mind u$ is 5% lower than c$
declare @ border if you're over your max

how are you ahead if you pay 8% sales tax in buffalo, 13% as you cross into border and 18% duties on clothes not made in NAFTA countries?

even if they let you through with no duties, you need to add 21%, throw in duties it's 39%. Yes i've paid duties on clothes at buffalo border before.
× < >