Art and Photography

How much is a White Panasonic GF1 w/20mm f1.7 lens worth?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2013 3:16 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 14, 2012
124 posts
15 upvotes

How much is a White Panasonic GF1 w/20mm f1.7 lens worth?

Hi everyone, so at Adens a brand new black version is on sale for $749.99 plus taxes. Is there a difference in value because the white version seems rare?

Thanks!
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
4418 posts
1724 upvotes
Toronto
I would pay no more 600...Gf2 with 14 mm was 320
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
2442 posts
399 upvotes
Toronto
Aden its a complete ripoff, they can jack up the picture because GF1 has been discontinued. they claim selling brand new ones but like their stock is open box refurbished

go on kijiji or Craigslist. find an used GF2 and 20mm for $480-$520, that's with tax all included
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3181 posts
523 upvotes
The thing is - the GF1 is the best in that series even though it is older. Also, the 20mm is also a quite desirable lens compared with other crap lenses they've packaged off the GF2 and GF3 with.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3536 upvotes
Not sure if I would pay that much for a GF1....that's almost as much as a OM-D...which is better in every way possible.

The 20mm f1.7 can be found for $300-350.

When the GF1 was clearing out, they went for $399 to $450, amazing deal.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3181 posts
523 upvotes
Don't get me wrong...it is still a rip off...but you can't compare the GF1 kits to the newer GF2 and GF3 ones. That was my point.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3536 upvotes
neltron3030 wrote: Don't get me wrong...it is still a rip off...but you can't compare the GF1 kits to the newer GF2 and GF3 ones. That was my point.
or that GX1 where they tried to redeem themselves
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2995 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
There are a few threads about the GF1 and it's pricing on dpreview - basically it was never really abundant to begin with and even as the GF2 came out, the GF1 prices remained high because there were less of them around (not so with the GF2, of which Aden has by the hundreds despite two boxing day sales and the now normal price of $320).

There's still a few very specific enthusiasts who would prefer the GF1 over every other GF (and GX1 included) model released after, and the only place where they can be found for a decent price is on ebay I believe.

Henry's had a few brand new GF1 bodies that were going for $175-$200 on ebay but it appears they're completely out now.

If you visit their outlet location they have brand new GF1 bodies for $299 and open box for $199 but I'm not sure about the quantities remaining. Otherwise, you'll have to go the craigslist/kijiji route which is not so bad.

Not sure how readily available the GF1 with 20mm kit is at this point, I don't see Aden ever lowering the price on it as they don't have very many left.

All the classic reviews, user blogs, etc on the internet that revered the GF1+20mm with tales of their journey's and the photos they took on them are still around, and all still very inspiring - same thing can't be said for the GX1 no matter how much "improved" the sensor is (because people now have the same adoration for the OM-D).
Dec 14, 2012
124 posts
15 upvotes
Thanks all, but can anyone comment on the colours? Would a white, gray, pink or red make it more expensive because of the rarity?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
I don't think anyone will worry about the colour when buying used. In any case, after a few years this will be a camera of the past no matter how good they are now.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
The white camera is probably completely yellow by now
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
2442 posts
399 upvotes
Toronto
for this kind of money, even better to look for an Olympus EP3, solid camera, metal material feel, and much better looking than any GF cameras.. EP3 used is like $400-600
if you want to go cheaper, even EP2 is very usable, almost same quality picture as EP3 (on DxO rankings) and its like almost half the price used
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2995 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
aub3rgine wrote: Thanks all, but can anyone comment on the colours? Would a white, gray, pink or red make it more expensive because of the rarity?
If you are trying to determine whether or not you should pay more for a white/grey/red GF1 because of it's undetermined value (based on rarity) then no, it should not cost you more simply because the color is uncommon - it's a camera not a collectible item.

If on the other-hand you are firm on your desire for a rare colour, then you have very little leverage with pricing because you don't have very many options to choose from as most sellers are selling the black one. In that case, you might have to pay more - that's assuming you are desperate for a particular colour, not because it's worth more.
Dec 14, 2012
124 posts
15 upvotes
Ticco wrote: If you are trying to determine whether or not you should pay more for a white/grey/red GF1 because of it's undetermined value (based on rarity) then no, it should not cost you more simply because the color is uncommon - it's a camera not a collectible item.

If on the other-hand you are firm on your desire for a rare colour, then you have very little leverage with pricing because you don't have very many options to choose from as most sellers are selling the black one. In that case, you might have to pay more - that's assuming you are desperate for a particular colour, not because it's worth more.
Thanks for your answer. That is perfect.
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
11297 posts
1274 upvotes
Toronto
do you mainly want the GF1 cause it's white?

I got an epl3 in white and wanted to keep it white but ended up putting a black leatherette skin on it for functionality and to match the grip

personally i think the olympus bodies are nicer looking and they have IS in body as well

[IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8471/8390 ... 72dac4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/E-PL3/L ... le/002.jpg[/IMG]

you can get them for other cameras as well
http://aki-asahi.com/store/
[removed for signature violation]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2005
1087 posts
63 upvotes
bosoxfanx1 wrote: for this kind of money, even better to look for an Olympus EP3, solid camera, metal material feel, and much better looking than any GF cameras.. EP3 used is like $400-600
if you want to go cheaper, even EP2 is very usable, almost same quality picture as EP3 (on DxO rankings) and its like almost half the price used
Good suggestion on the E-P3. It can also be had for $450 brand new through Adorama.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 29, 2007
8237 posts
1413 upvotes
Montreal
neltron3030 wrote: The thing is - the GF1 is the best in that series even though it is older. Also, the 20mm is also a quite desirable lens compared with other crap lenses they've packaged off the GF2 and GF3 with.
+1

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)