How much for wisdom tooth extraction

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 2:18 pm
[OP]
Oct 11, 2016
21 posts

How much for wisdom tooth extraction

Hi,
I am trying to gauge if my wisdom tooth extraction in Mississauga area was a total rip off.

i paid about 700+(including taxes) in which was 200 fee for emergency removal(which my insurance covered 80% so w.e) and than another 200 for hemorrhage control(stitches?) which i was totally stunt about? i mean if you are digging in my tooth i do expect you to stitch it up after no? rest cost was to remove the tooth.
My insurance did cover for two out of three charges(80%) however they denied to cover the stitch charges saying that should be part of total cost?(which i partially agree with them)

Is my insurance being an a*s here or did i get totally ripped of by my dentist. Do people get charge separately for hemorrhage control ?

I wasnt put to sleep for the procedure so there was no full anaesthesia involved.

P.s The extraction was done in Mississauga if that matters(High cost of living lol)
10 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17733 posts
1760 upvotes
Space for rent
I paid about 300-400 for a molar extraction. I am not sure if a wisdom tooth is the same as an impact tooth in which case it may require some excavation and added labour / materials.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
1841 posts
1036 upvotes
I did mine a few years back at place referred by my dentist around hurontario & Dundas. It was a little over $400 for the 1 tooth. I believe I was stitched up inside. I had to pay upfront, and had to give the receipt to my workplace Manulife benefits. I, too got 80% back in cost.

It sucks you got all these hidden costs, there is nothing you could probably do anyway. The job is done. At least you never have to go back again. If you do go back again for anything in the near future for an extraction, tell them you don't want that surgeon, and you felt you were improperly charged, and stitching was supposed to be included according to your insurer.
[OP]
Oct 11, 2016
21 posts
Allen84 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 6:17 am
I did mine a few years back at place referred by my dentist around hurontario & Dundas. It was a little over $400 for the 1 tooth. I believe I was stitched up inside. I had to pay upfront, and had to give the receipt to my workplace Manulife benefits. I, too got 80% back in cost.

It sucks you got all these hidden costs, there is nothing you could probably do anyway. The job is done. At least you never have to go back again. If you do go back again for anything in the near future for an extraction, tell them you don't want that surgeon, and you felt you were improperly charged, and stitching was supposed to be included according to your insurer.
Is that even legal what he did. Charging additional for stitches
Nov 9, 2013
695 posts
773 upvotes
Scarborough
If the wisdom tooth is impacted, it will significantly be more costlier to have removed. I had one which was impacted really bad and it cost overall over $1000 with x-rays, under sleep anesthesia from an oral surgeon to have it done because the dentist didn't have the right instruments to do it.

Generally, a non-impacted normal wisdom tooth removal can go from $50 and up.

Luckily I had group insurance coverage at the time and had 80% of it taken care of and had to spend a little over a couple hundred bucks out of own pocket for such a complicated tooth issue to be rid of. So glad I had it available and it helped take care of it.
Mar 24, 2015
870 posts
280 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed, one was impacted. It was around $2400 including xray, anesthesia, taxes.
$450 per tooth (cutting, removing, stitching, etc) , $450 for anesthesia ( I was put to sleep). Done by surgeon who was referred by dentist.
I lost sensitivity in the bottom right of my lips and chin after the surgery. I went back every 2 weeks to do check up. After 3 months it was back to normal. It is a very delicate process especially if the tooth is very close to the nerves.
So I would not recommend you pick a surgeon/dentist based on how cheap it is. If the surgeon is not experienced enough, you might end up with permanent nerve damage.
I had to sign a paper which said I understood the risk after the surgeon explained it to me.