Home & Garden

How much would it cost to completely re-renovate a 2500 sqft house?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2017 12:41 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 17, 2012
1 posts
TORONTO

How much would it cost to completely re-renovate a 2500 sqft house?

Looking to buy a house that is in a really bad shape(previous rented). I'm thinking to redo all the floors, bathrooms and kitchen.

1. Reflooring on 1st & 2nd floor ($20k?)
2. New kitchen & appliances ($40k?)
3. New bathrooms (2nd floor) ($30k?)
4. Window & doors ($20k?)
5. Front & backyard ($20k?)
6. Repaint & other accessories ($10k)

Total: $140,000 ?

Any comments?
36 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2546 posts
746 upvotes
My house is 3000sqft and when I bought it 2 years ago I totally renovated it as well. First of all, make ure the problems are only cosmetic with a very good home inspector. For your estimates it depends on the materials you choose, but I find your flooring estimate too low. For example, putting hardwood on stairs and painting the spindles cost me $6,000 alone. Your kitchen estimate may also be too high. Everyone quoted me $40-$50,000 and I ended up spending $20,000. Oak cabinets, granite counters, double oven and more! Go to cabinet price warehouse for your kitchen, they cut my budget in half.

I spent $55,000 on my main floor and it included all new floors (tile and brazilian cherry hardwood), a new powder room, new kitchen, crown moulding, removal of a brick wood burning fireplace, instal of gas fireplace and custom mantel, all new moldings around doors and windows, 2 new windows and garden doors, custom built in bookshelves, hardwood staircase and all new appliances.

I don't know if my rambling helped, but as long as your problems are cosmetic and you can find good contractors your budget is doable.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7812 posts
1968 upvotes
Toronto
Depends if you are planning on doing the work yourself, which will save you a lot. Most of your cash will be spent in the kitchen and bathroom, $70k for both, might be a little high, depending on how big these areas are and how 'expensive' you want them too look. Regardless of what you think you might spend, always save 10% of that incase of popups (unexpected issues). In my experiences, there are always pop ups regardless of the reno you are performing. You know nothing until you see behind that wall, or under that floor and there is no way an inspection would find that.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6053 posts
1025 upvotes
Mississauga
dgnr8 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2012 3:56 pm
Everyone quoted me $40-$50,000 and I ended up spending $20,000. Oak cabinets, granite counters, double oven and more! Go to cabinet price warehouse for your kitchen, they cut my budget in half.
Sorry to highjack this thread but are you saying you got your kitchen in a 3000 sq. ft. home for $20k installed, including oak cabinets and doors as well as granite countertops and appliances?

The reason I ask is my budget for 4 appliances are $5000.00 and I'm told that's really low so that would leave you with $15k to do your kitchen installed including oak cabinets?
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
8390 posts
1353 upvotes
Maymybonneliveforever wrote:
Aug 15th, 2012 4:41 pm
Sorry to highjack this thread but are you saying you got your kitchen in a 3000 sq. ft. home for $20k installed, including oak cabinets and doors as well as granite countertops and appliances?

The reason I ask is my budget for 4 appliances are $5000.00 and I'm told that's really low so that would leave you with $15k to do your kitchen installed including oak cabinets?
we got 4 piece stainless steel samsung appliances, plus a washer and dryer, with 2 pedestals, and delivery from sears for 5000$ last boxing week. Plus 100$ in sears points.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
1818 posts
232 upvotes
I just did my kitchen for 15k for the cabinets, 3800 granite, 800 dish, 2k range, 100 microwave, 750 sink, 550 faucet, 400 hood, the backsplash was probably about 600 or so too, 1900 fridge
Doesn't include the painting/tiled floor, electrical work etc..

So figure 23-25k for it about.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
8390 posts
1353 upvotes
Go for Maple, Oak is kinda...1980s. Too Grainy. My opinion anyways.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2546 posts
746 upvotes
Aug 15th, 2012 4:41 pm

You can even go maple for that budget, we just liked the oak with a dark cherry stain. The kitchen was $9,300 installed! I also included a few glass doors. The granite counter came to $5,200 ( I bought it from Moscone and was ripped off). I spent the rest on appliances from sears. My general contractor found cabinet price warehouse and we couldn't believe the prices. We had been quoted more than triple for the same cabinets at Home Depot and Aya Kitchens.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6053 posts
1025 upvotes
Mississauga
dgnr8 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2012 5:49 pm
The kitchen was $9,300 installed! I also included a few glass doors. The granite counter came to $5,200 ( I bought it from Moscone and was ripped off). We had been quoted more than triple for the same cabinets at Home Depot and Aya Kitchens.
I'm finding this either too good to be true or we're not comparing apples to apples. I got a quote for 35 solid oak raised, stained and clear coat oak doors and drawers from a place in Oakville that only does doors for around $4100.00. I've looked at around 40 different places and they were by far the lowest price. The cabinets with slow close doors, slide out shelves, adjustable legs, and slow close drawers in solid oak including uppers, were $4500.00. The kitchen is around 30 linear feet and the pricing I got was not installed, no backsplash, undercounter lighting, cove moulding etc.
rocking23nf wrote:
Aug 15th, 2012 5:28 pm
we got 4 piece stainless steel samsung appliances, plus a washer and dryer, with 2 pedestals, and delivery from sears for 5000$ last boxing week. Plus 100$ in sears points.
We want our fridge to be counter flush, that in itself raises the price by about $1000.00. I doubt we can get:

23 cubic foot flush mount fridge
Natural gas stove and oven brand name.
dishwasher with wood front panel and top inside control.
Over the range microwave/convection

All in stainless for $5000.00, let's just say the stove and fridge are around $5000.00 alone on sale, therefore I found out that indeed I'm under budget.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7670 posts
764 upvotes
North York
It may help if OP posts the neighbourhood (price range, maybe) of the house. Is the renos for self living, resale/flip?

There are a lot of variables and different levels of expecations.

I was told by an agent it would take $300K to renovate a 1,800 sq. ft bungalow, we were considering.

Although, $140K is a significant chunk of money, it can be spent very quickly. (As the above posts indicate, some think a proper kitchen should have $20K worth of appliances.)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6053 posts
1025 upvotes
Mississauga
Busybuyer888 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2012 7:09 pm
As the above posts indicate, some think a proper kitchen should have $20K worth of appliances.
I've stated this several times in different threads, I've seen hundreds of new kitchens ranging from $10k to 80K. Yet I still read people saying they can get a $45k kitchen for $15k yet when I see them, they're totally different kitchens in regards to options, quality, material, size, etc. Therefore they were incorrect in saying they got a $40k kitchen for $15k since they were comparing apples to oranges. Sure you can get a 45k value kitchen for much less but not close to a third of the price. At least I haven't seen one yet and I would really appreciate if someone could prove me wrong since I'm in the market for a kitchen and the quotes I got were around $50k with the lowest being 30k.

OP, it will depend on your tastes, quality, design and many other factors, therefore no on on this forum can give you a proper answer.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2546 posts
746 upvotes
Aug 15th, 2012 7:30 pm
I've stated this several times in different threads, I've seen hundreds of new kitchens ranging from $10k to 80K. Yet I still read people saying they can get a $45k kitchen for $15k yet when I see them, they're totally different kitchens in regards to options, quality, material, size, etc. Therefore they were incorrect in saying they got a $40k kitchen for $15k since they were comparing apples to oranges. Sure you can get a 45k value kitchen for much less but not close to a third of the price. At least I haven't seen one yet and I would really appreciate if someone could prove me wrong since I'm in the market for a kitchen and the quotes I got were around $50k with the lowest being 30k.

OP, it will depend on your tastes, quality, design and many other factors, therefore no on on this forum can give you a proper answer.
Here is the layout for my kitchen that was provided to me 3 years ago with my estimate. My memory was actually wrong, I actually paid $7,000. I compared apples to apples as I went to AYA Kitchens and was quoted over $20,000 for this kitchen. I bought this Aya kitchen from Cabinet Price Warehouse for $7000. I probably don't have all the upgrades people want, but if the base price starts this low, I can only assume that the price with the upgrades will also be less.

Image[/IMG]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14117 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
A colleague spent $100000 on her kitchen alone. It really depends on what you do and what your finishes are.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7670 posts
764 upvotes
North York
For those RFDers whom think some of us are nuts. Lets frame this properly. In the GTA, it is COMMON for homes to sell for above $1.5M.

Exclusive properties in the GTA start in the $3M range. Condos going for above $1M are not uncommon.

So, a $80K kitchen is more common than not. For those whom do spend that kind of money on those homes, they don't hunt around for deals.

Their interior designer suggests very expensive and exclusive stuff. These people want their friends to notice the $$$ they spent.

AND definitely, when you walk into a new kitchen, an experienced eye knows whether it cost $20K or $60K.
May 28, 2012
9441 posts
1781 upvotes
Saskatoon
If you are going to redo a kitchen and put some decent fixtures and finishes into it, don't buy cheap appliances. Cheap appliances look cheap and are often not as functional as quality ones. I just replaced my nineteen year old Jenn Air range...if I remember correctly, this was around $2500 back in the early 90's. My fridge is an Amana side x side counter-depth, which I paid ~$3K for, and it's still in perfect working condition. Perhaps modern appliances aren't built like before, but the cheap ones really stand out.