Automotive

How much would it cost to repair a small rusted area?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2015 7:06 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2019 posts
314 upvotes
Calgary

How much would it cost to repair a small rusted area?

I have a car with a small area of rust at the end of the roof near the top of the rear window. It's about half a centimetre wide by about 4 centimetres long. The paint has bubbled up slightly, and the area is just starting to turn a little brown. I'd like to get it attended to before it starts to spread any further.

How much would a body shop charge to repair this area? Can they just strip the rust off, place some filler, prime it, and repaint just that spot or would they need to repaint the entire roof panel or something?

Any body shop experts in the house?

I guess I could probably do it myself, but I'd just worry about being able to blend the paint in so it doesn't stand out.
17 replies
Sep 20, 2003
217 posts
If the rust is just on the surface, you can easily do it yourself, just as you said. You won't even need to use filler.

The cost will probably be under $30 for sandpaper, primer, paint and clearcoat.
Aug 5, 2004
179 posts
easy straight forward DYI. as mentioned before about $30 or so for the supplies. instead of sandpaper, i went with a wire brush drill attachment to get the rust off (makes like a little easier). went to CT to get some primer and paint, sprayed the primer on and then the paint and it's looking good. i do want to have the whole car painted spring 2006 though, am still looking for some bodyshops/individuals who can do it at a good price.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2019 posts
314 upvotes
Calgary
It's a 2000 Mazda. I think I'll probably give it a try myself then. I've got a dremel with a wire brush so I'll try that route. I guess the spot is pretty small so it won't be too noticeable if I spray it to blend with the rest of the roof and cover it with a few coats of clear top coat.

I've done some larger repairs before, and they turned out not too bad. The only problem was that at an angle you could see where the repair splotch was. I didn't use clear coat to cover it though so maybe that might help.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2583 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
If ur car is only a 2000 model, I think Mazda might have a rust protection warrenty for it. Isn't it 8 or 10 yrs?
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
10236 posts
3091 upvotes
Brossard, Quebec
I tried to get Ford to repair some rust bubbles on my last car, and they told me the corrosion warranty only covered rust perforation and not bubbles, surface rust etc. So I asked him if he had ever heard of rust starting with perforation, because I hadn't :mad: The paint wasn't cracked at all and no rust was visible, but there were these big lumps present. It was quite obvious to me that a body seam had not been properly sealed, and that water was getting between and causing this problem. They finally agreed to repair and paint the affected areas, but I had to be very persistent before they agreed.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1039 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
i have a small rusted spot on my 2002 nissan. anyone know they have rust protection warranty like mazda?
FS List:

[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2019 posts
314 upvotes
Calgary
I'm pretty certain that the factory warranty only covers perforation for 5 years. Rust bubbles, etc. aren't covered normally.

From the Mazda Canada site:

The basic warranty on Mazda vehicles covers all parts found to be factory defective for 36 Months or 80,000 km, whichever comes first. Additional warranties cover Powertrain components for a period of 5 years or 100,000 km whichever comes first, body sheet metal perforation for 5 years and unlimited mileage and specific emission control components for up to 8 years or 128,000 km.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2583 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
I am sure nissan has similar. I guess that really sucks if it's only 5 yrs, becuase most of the time it will not perforate in 5 yrs. Most european cars offer 8 to 12 yrs of rust perforation protection.
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
10236 posts
3091 upvotes
Brossard, Quebec
So basically if you drove threw a puddle of highly corrosive rust causing chemicals that instantly caused perforation, you would be covered :lol:
Sep 23, 2010
236 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
Bindy wrote:
Sep 24th, 2005 12:28 am
If the rust is just on the surface, you can easily do it yourself, just as you said. You won't even need to use filler.

The cost will probably be under $30 for sandpaper, primer, paint and clearcoat.
Where do you get the primer, paint, and clearcoat from? How do you know which color paint to pick so that it looks like its original paint?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
1025 posts
186 upvotes
GTA
chroncile wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 5:28 pm
Where do you get the primer, paint, and clearcoat from? How do you know which color paint to pick so that it looks like its original paint?
This thread is 10yrs old.... Your door panel sticker should have your cars color code. look for it then go to CT and find the paint.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1780 posts
406 upvotes
chroncile wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 5:28 pm
Lol at bumping 10 year old thread. Check partsource. Your vehicle should have paint code, google where it is located on your vehicle.
Sep 23, 2010
236 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
valeradunets wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 5:41 pm
Lol at bumping 10 year old thread. Check partsource. Your vehicle should have paint code, google where it is located on your vehicle.
Lol, well reply is still available so why not bump it? Thanks, I checked partsource, but it looks like I'll have to see the code on the sticker.
× < >