Automotive

How much would people pay for used winter tires?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2015 7:32 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 15, 2009
117 posts
17 upvotes
Saskatoon

How much would people pay for used winter tires?

I have 4 used winter tires(Cooper Weather Master ST2 205/55R16 91T), bought in 2012 paid $660, used for one and half year(less than 5000km) and left in garage until now. I want to sell them, not sure how much should I ask for, anyone has experience on selling used tires? Thanks
15 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29945 posts
15778 upvotes
Ottawa
Depends on the tread depth and if they are mounted on steelies or alloys!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25250 posts
10128 upvotes
Toronto
after 1 yr of use, I would say 75% of a new set. Assuming the tires have never been plugged and with normal and even wear
after 2 yrs of use, I would say 50% of a new set
after 3 yrs of use, I would say 30% of a new set

of course, that's my opinion only.

If you list them now, nobody will buy them. List them around late Sept (the earliest) and you may get the odd calls but most will start looking by late October.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2874 posts
1673 upvotes
Canadia
amybear wrote:
Jul 17th, 2015 2:41 pm
I have 4 used winter tires(Cooper Weather Master ST2 205/55R16 91T), bought in 2012 paid $660, used for one and half year(less than 5000km) and left in garage until now. I want to sell them, not sure how much should I ask for, anyone has experience on selling used tires? Thanks
Wash them and take good photos now, while the weather is warm. Don't list them for sale on Kijiji until the weather turns bad in the fall, because nobody's interested. Base your asking price on what others are listing for and emphasize that these are low mileage.

I sold an old set of winter tires and rims last year on the day of a major snowfall. The guy who came to pick them up was basically driving on bald summer tires and I was worried that he wouldn't make it home safely to swap them.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2009
117 posts
17 upvotes
Saskatoon
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 17th, 2015 2:48 pm
Depends on the tread depth and if they are mounted on steelies or alloys!
they were on my old BMW 325i, we don't drive too much
[OP]
Nov 15, 2009
117 posts
17 upvotes
Saskatoon
retrothing wrote:
Jul 17th, 2015 2:55 pm
Wash them and take good photos now, while the weather is warm. Don't list them for sale on Kijiji until the weather turns bad in the fall, because nobody's interested. Base your asking price on what others are listing for and emphasize that these are low mileage.

I sold an old set of winter tires and rims last year on the day of a major snowfall. The guy who came to pick them up was basically driving on bald summer tires and I was worried that he wouldn't make it home safely to swap them.
too bad, I didn't wash them and took some photos, and posted on kijiji few days ago, asking for $280, only one person asked, and later disappeared. maybe I should delete the ad wait until fall.
thank you very much.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1893 posts
542 upvotes
Hometown
amybear wrote:
Jul 17th, 2015 2:58 pm
too bad, I didn't wash them and took some photos, and posted on kijiji few days ago, asking for $280, only one person asked, and later disappeared. maybe I should delete the ad wait until fall.
thank you very much.
I would give you 240 cash right now if you were close enough.... Since it doesn't cost you anything to have an ad on kijiji I would leave it up. You never know when someone will see it and want them.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2009
117 posts
17 upvotes
Saskatoon
Canuck2fan wrote:
Jul 17th, 2015 3:11 pm
I would give you 240 cash right now if you were close enough.... Since it doesn't cost you anything to have an ad on kijiji I would leave it up. You never know when someone will see it and want them.
Thanks for the kindness, I live in saskatoon, maybe too far from you?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1893 posts
542 upvotes
Hometown
amybear wrote:
Jul 17th, 2015 3:12 pm
Thanks for the kindness, I live in saskatoon, maybe too far from you?
I live in South Western Ontario, so a bit too far yeah.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1464 posts
280 upvotes
Ontario
Wait till the fall, right now most people thinking about the beach and cold beer and not winter tires. You will get a better price and quicker sale in the coming season.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5988 posts
1660 upvotes
BC
Don't know if I would bother with the E90 forum - your 205/55/16 size is widely used among other makes and models, and 3 series owners tend to not have Cooper T-rated tires at the top of their list.

I think you have the pricing about right as any buyer would need to budget up to around $100 for mounting and balancing on rims.

Clean them well, re-take pictures showing no damage to sidewalls, mounting edge and inside, and make sure it shows even tread wear side to side (your E90 rear camber setting might show a bit of uneven wear after 5K though).

Ask $300 and expect to get $250.