Beauty & Wellness

How much are you paying for dental cleaning?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2018 2:07 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
2819 posts
578 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
aznnorth wrote:
Apr 8th, 2014 6:34 am
Because you have an insurance plan? Not really free at all since you paid the premiums ahead of time whether private or group insurance plan at work.
No, because my relative is a dentist.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
May 28, 2006
989 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
Skadefryd wrote:
Apr 7th, 2014 3:37 pm
It is just an Alberta thing where you pay up front and are then reimbursed by your insurance? When I lived in BC the various forms of dental insurance I had all covered everything up front and in some cases I didn't even see a bill at all and was blissfully ignorant of how much money they were making off me.

Here, however, the few offices I've been to all charge up front - one of them submitted it automatically, at least.

Anyway, last appointment was a hair over $500 for the dentist checkup, two sets of x-rays and however many units of scaling and polishing. I would estimate just the cleaning was $200, plus $45 because I keep forgetting and saying 'yes' to the fluoride trays, which cost $45 for two foam inserts and maybe two seconds of the hygenist's time.
That's the difference between non-assignment and assignment of benefits arrangement with your dental office. The ODA (Ontario Dental Association) is opposed to "assignment of benefits" (where the insurance company pays the dental office directly) and actively encourages dental plan sponsors to make their dental plans “non-assignment” (patient gets reimbursed after paying) plans. Why? Because the act of a patient paying for their dental care makes them financially involved in their oral health care, and there is more incentive on the patient end to maintain their oral health. Paying up front should be the industry standard, because like you said, you are less ignorant with what you're doing to your mouth.
Heatware/HoFo upon request
May 28, 2006
989 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth wrote:
Apr 8th, 2014 6:54 am
LOL, NOPE! The fee guidelines are the MINIMUM the dentist can charge, not the maximum. It's not written in stone meaning every dentist HAS to abide by the fee guidelines. It's not a legal requirement. Many charge cheaper to get more patients and for lower income patients who have no insurance plans. Hence, cash rates versus insurance rates. They have 2 sets of prices.

Cash rate for my dentist is $85 for full cleaning. Has 4 dental hygienists. All grads from George Brown dental program which is considered the top in the country (and costs $40k for 2 yr program - ouch!!). I did a survey based on rateMDS top dentists in TO when searching for a new dentist and the average cost with insurance coverage ranges from $140 - $176 level on the low side; high side $210 - $280. More proof you dont get what you pay for in terms of medical services in Canada. Once they know you have insurance they bilk the plan to the maximum. They figure - ur not paying, so why not?? If one pays $85 cash for the same or better service than someone else paying $250 via insurance, figure it out. Just lines the dentists' pockets. You already paid the premiums ahead of time so it's not like the coverage is free. Most peeps forget that.

Simple calc. cash rate $85 x 2 cleanings/annum = $170
Your insurance rate $250 x 2 cleanings/annum = $500

Assume you pay $50 premium deducted bi-weekly paycheck for group ins. medical benefit = $1300/annum

$1300 - $170 cash rate = $1130 MORE (assuming you have no other work done and plan not used for any other med services).

Dentist profits an extra $330 ($500-$170).
No...you are proof that our educational system failing in Canada. You're just spouting nonsense without knowing your facts. Just the numbers you provided alone show that you have no understanding of the issue at all. Here's some information for you: http://www.youroralhealth.ca/you-your-d ... xplained91

Too bad I don't see you as the reading type.
Heatware/HoFo upon request
Nov 24, 2009
353 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa
Because I don't have dental insurance, I made good investment in cleaning devices so that I don't have to visit dentist often. I use diamond clean from sonicare and floss with water floss on daily basis. I see dentist only for emergency cases or when I visit home. Cleaning is so cheap there. It's only 50 bucks.
Aug 13, 2009
4 posts
Well as I said should be around $120-$180 in the gta. $220 is definitely on the high side. I goto a clinic called Davisville Smiles across davisville subway. Pretty happy even though the clinic is a bit old.
Oct 27, 2009
45 posts
15 upvotes
Gloucester
I need some advise. I just tried a new dentist office by my house (45 sec walk) I love this convince. However I was there for a cleaning and this is what happened. Keep in mind my last cleaning was 18 months ago, long story as to why however I am also covered 95%.

anyways I was there for 40 mins max. hygienist does the following.

- does a pre check
- does a gum line check
- only does my right side and says to come back to finish the other side
- gives me a fluoride scrub on the right side

Bill was $180. I asked how many scaling units and she said hygienist put down 3 1/2 units. So I paid and left. When I got home I was talking to my wife and it sounded odd for the price and units, considering I wasn't even there 40 mins+.

I called them and basically the hygienist said I was there for 50 mins (complete lie). She then told me scaling units don't just start when she touches the tooth, but when I sit in the seat????!!! Has anyone heard this before? I assume she is just milking my insurance, but I feel like a sucker.
Dec 13, 2013
467 posts
17 upvotes
Ontario
midnight1976 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2014 9:56 pm
I need some advise. I just tried a new dentist office by my house (45 sec walk) I love this convince. However I was there for a cleaning and this is what happened. Keep in mind my last cleaning was 18 months ago, long story as to why however I am also covered 95%.

anyways I was there for 40 mins max. hygienist does the following.

- does a pre check
- does a gum line check
- only does my right side and says to come back to finish the other side
- gives me a fluoride scrub on the right side

Bill was $180. I asked how many scaling units and she said hygienist put down 3 1/2 units. So I paid and left. When I got home I was talking to my wife and it sounded odd for the price and units, considering I wasn't even there 40 mins+.

I called them and basically the hygienist said I was there for 50 mins (complete lie). She then told me scaling units don't just start when she touches the tooth, but when I sit in the seat????!!! Has anyone heard this before? I assume she is just milking my insurance, but I feel like a sucker.
I would never go there again!!
Nov 13, 2007
108 posts
10 upvotes
Went to try a new dentist recently. My insurance has 100% coverage but I later received a bill in the mail from the dental office with this break down and what I owe them.

2 BW X-Ray - 33.00
Exam - 37.00
Polishing 1U - 35.00
Scaling 2U -110.00
Scaling 1/2U - 28.00
Total = $243.00

But my insurance only covered $218.29. I got a note saying my insurance covers fee under the 2010 fee guide. The dental office is using the ODA 2014 fee guide. As a result, I owe them $24.71.

Any input on this situation? I've never experienced this situation before!
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1591 posts
177 upvotes
Newmarket
was at the dentist yesterday
my bill:

scaling 2 units -110
flouride -25
examination -31

95% covered by insurance
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2892 posts
248 upvotes
If you are paying cash to see the dentist, what makes you think he is trustworthy? If he's cutting corners with the bill, I can assure you he's cutting corners with your treatment as well.
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
Aug 22, 2017
1 posts
I don't know what province you're in, but I'm a dental hygienist in BC. And under the fee guide 1 unit of scaling or RP is 15 min. Under this guide you're allowed to include the time you spend reviewing medical history, administering anesthetic and periodontal probing/charting. It's not just the time spent picking at your teeth and cleaning them. Hope this helps.
Sep 2, 2017
1 posts
I recommend looking up a dental school in the area, they usually offer clinics at a crazy affordable price if paying out of pocket, you can do this for other things like massage or hair care. Just look up related school and see if they offer any clinics.
Apr 7, 2013
93 posts
16 upvotes
LeandraB124887 wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2017 5:03 pm
I recommend looking up a dental school in the area, they usually offer clinics at a crazy affordable price if paying out of pocket, you can do this for other things like massage or hair care. Just look up related school and see if they offer any clinics.
Is it safe to go to dental school for cleanings? Just curious
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10289 posts
947 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
momo325 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 8:20 am
Is it safe to go to dental school for cleanings? Just curious
U of T dentistry does most common procedures. Check them out.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING