Beauty & Wellness

How much are you paying for dental cleaning?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2018 11:59 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8489 posts
769 upvotes
It's through a work health/dental plan so we don't pay out of pocket for anything.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10678 posts
1045 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
aznnorth wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 8:17 am
U of T dentistry does most common procedures. Check them out.
Update:

Wow, just found out UT dentistry has changed. It's not cheap anymore. Now there's an initial $76 application fee (includes xrays), then $50 for oral hygiene assessment and finally the cleaning/scaling costs between $60-$100 depending how bad ur teeth are. It's a rip off.... unless you're interested in in them to do long term dental work. So just for a cleaning the total bill would be min. $186. *shock* No longer cheap like they used to be. They specifically said they are NOT a non-profit organization. So this place is in it to make money and teach at the same time. They recommended to try George Brown as they are cheaper, lol.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
3140 posts
356 upvotes
GTA
aznnorth wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 4:08 pm
Update:

Wow, just found out UT dentistry has changed. It's not cheap anymore. Now there's an initial $76 application fee (includes xrays), then $50 for oral hygiene assessment and finally the cleaning/scaling costs between $60-$100 depending how bad ur teeth are. It's a rip off.... unless you're interested in in them to do long term dental work. So just for a cleaning the total bill would be min. $186. *shock* No longer cheap like they used to be. They specifically said they are NOT a non-profit organization. So this place is in it to make money and teach at the same time. They recommended to try George Brown as they are cheaper, lol.
I assume the $76 and $50 are only applicable for the first visit? So $60-100 for cleaning every time after the first. That's not too bad. Anyone try the George Brown clinic? Any reviews?
Koodo $49 - Unlimited Talk + Text + 6GB x3
Koodo $25 - Unlimited Talk + Text
Fido $19 - 200 Mins Talk + Unlimited E/W after 6PM + Unlimited International Text

AMEX Biz Plat 75K
AMEX Biz Gold 40K
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10678 posts
1045 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
flamez1000 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 9:24 pm
I assume the $76 and $50 are only applicable for the first visit? So $60-100 for cleaning every time after the first. That's not too bad. Anyone try the George Brown clinic? Any reviews?
Not bad??! Lolz. Point is ... most peeps in lower income groups arent willing to pay $186 for first cleaning. That's the whole point of using uni-student dentistry places in the first place - cheap dental services for purpose of teaching. $186 is just as expensive as any regular dentist accepting insurance at full price. For example my dentist has 2 rates - one for insurance clients and one for cash (lower income) clients. Cash clients is $100 for cleaning. He has 4 dental hygienists (George Brown grads - supposedly the best dental hygienist school in Canada) on staff plus 2 dentists. Given the same price between the two I rather go to my full service dentist than wait weeks/months to get accepted by a dental school that charges equivalent rates. YES, it takes that long to be accepted by UT dentistry as you have to be assigned to a specific student (or group of students). It's not like you can just walk in for dental work anytime. PITA. Depending on what you need done they break it down to several appointments instead of 1 or 2 that a full practice would. Purpose is becuz they are a teaching school, the students have to learn or be taught in several stages. Another PITA.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10678 posts
1045 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
George Brown dentistry is Wave Dental Clinic. MUCH cheaper and more reasonable rates but still takes weeks/months to be accepted as a patient. You have to be assigned to a specific student(s).

Wave Dental Clinic - apply as patient here. Fees listed.
https://www.georgebrown.ca/wave/dentalclinic/
https://www.georgebrown.ca/wave/register/

-screening - $5
-examination - $20
-scaling/polish/client education - $20
-fluoride pit and fissure sealants - no charge
- whitening - $120
- sports guard - $40

Basic cleaning would cost $40 bucks (examination fee and scaling/polish/education fee).
Screening $5 fee is part of the $20 examination fee if accepted as patient.
Oct 23, 2017
382 posts
165 upvotes
GTA West
I alternate cleanings between a periodontist's office and my regular dentist. I would say my dentist has a high end operation and charges top prices.

My periodontist charged $247 for my last visit using the billing code for root planing. (4 units which I think equates to one hour). They are supposed to do a deeper cleaning below the gum line than a normal dentist office cleaning.

My dentist cleaning varies but on average he charges 3 units (45 minutes) for $165, using the billing codes for scaling and polishing.

In general the rates for "root planing" are higher than the rates for "scaling".

Cleaning requirements (how often, duration of cleaning) vary widely depending on the chemistry of your mouth, state of your gums, how many teeth you have, and on how well you clean your teeth between dentist visits. They tell me I am in the top 10% in how well I clean my own teeth, and that this minimizes my appointments.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2543 posts
495 upvotes
Oshawa
Check with Boxgrove Dental in Markham ... I go there and they are very very reasonable and great!
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Dec 1, 2017
26 posts
13 upvotes
I'm looking for a (relatively) cheap dentist in the Downtown Area/ TTC line, or at least a special - anyone have any recommendations?

I know the colleges are cheaper, but I can't wait 2 months for an appointment (I called both UT and GB).
Jan 5, 2014
2 posts
MISSISSAUGA
I got my teeth cleaned, x-rays and one cavity done at George Brown. It was $20 for the cleaning, $20 for a dentist to look in your mouth to decide if you had cavities (exam), $20 for some Xrays and $15 for one filling (done by a restorative hygenist, not a dentist). The cleaning/exam/xrays were done across 7 2-2.5 hour appointments. The filling was done in one day... but months after I had my cleaning done, because I had to wait for that restorative hygienist semester to start. The DENTIST froze my mouth for that though, and it was the easiest freeze I've ever had done. The cleaning is very extensive. It includes doing impressions of your mouth, beware. I did learn a lot - they put this stuff on your teeth to show you where you don't brush very well, it turns a different color. I'm always mindful of those spots when I brush my teeth now.

To become a patient, I kept putting myself on what I thought was a wait list. I waited for years. It's not a real wait list. You just need to sign up right around when the semester starts to be selected, basically. If you sign up mid-semester or during the summer, they won't call you for some reason. Or at least they didn't do that for me lol.

If you're not from Toronto, remember to factor in transportation costs. I took the GO transit in (no choice) and it basically became as expensive as just getting a cleaning done elsewhere - and it wouldn't have taken so much time. I'm not sure I would do it again. If I could do JUST the fillings with students, I would.

There are hygienist students looking for patients on Kijiji if you have time to help them, too.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2009
1960 posts
1093 upvotes
Went for a dental checkup for the first time in a long time (5+ years). I generally take good care of my teeth, but obviously expected some work to be done. Can someone comment on the pricing?

Radiographcs, Intraoral, Periapical - 8 images - $78
Radiographcs, Intraoral, Bitewing - 4 images - $47
Radiographcs, Panoramic - 1 image - $65
Exam and Diagnosis Complete - Permanent Dentition - $130
Scaling Three Units - $165
Total - $485

The total seemed a bit high at first, but they were pretty thorough with the preliminary work. I was there for about 3 hours, so I think it is reasonable?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)