Health & Wellness

How much are you paying for dental cleaning?

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2018 11:04 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1281 posts
89 upvotes
Nowhere
^I went yesterday and my dentist wasn't there so no exam. Got my two units of scaling (15 minutes each unit) and my teeth polished and flossed. Each unit is 15 minutes and they round up. Were you scaled for close to 45 minutes?


This time I got charged for my two units of scaling (108$) and the polishing (35$). Worked out to $143
Last time I got charged for my two units of scaling (108$) and a recall exam (28$) when dentist was there (even though I got the polishing too). That worked out to $136.
Even though that inconsistency is there, she charges per the ODA and seems to only charge for either the exam or the polish but not both. Which is nice I guess. A lot of people get shafty a lot worse because the dentists either overbill or they add on procedures which most people do not need, examples being frequent xrays and fluoride treatments (for adults). I think a lot of people aren't willing to look around for another dentist when the market is absolutely saturated with them (at least in my area they are) and a lot are not willing to say no to treatments. Yes these people have a degree but there is no justification for some of the treatments they try to upsell you on.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2416 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
lobt wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 2:35 pm
And because this is RFD, the cheapest dental treatment you can get is good oral hygiene. Get out there, buy some FLOSS. Learn how to use it. Feel guilty when you don't use it every night. Invest in a good electric toothbrush.
So simple but so true
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 20, 2008
1720 posts
742 upvotes
Cleaning at my dentist is $90 plus tax. he is amazing. or at least his assistants are
Seems like am in there quite a long time. But they are always thorough, super nice, same staff for years ;)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 20, 2010
1561 posts
397 upvotes
I've been trying to save some money, but becoming a patient for a dental cleaning at George Brown College is very time consuming and a bit stressful. Only do it if you have lots of time on your hand. I haven't been officially accepted as a patient until they assess my x-rays. I didn't want to pay for these radiographs again, so they told me it could be faxed from the last place I had them taken with written consent.

How common is it to fax dental X-rays to another place? Or do more people "normally" choose to pick up their x-rays and physically bring them over to the new place? Anyone know, I don't think they were the new digital x-rays?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Nov 28th, 2012 7:49 pm
I've been trying to save some money, but becoming a patient for a dental cleaning at George Brown College is very time consuming and a bit stressful. Only do it if you have lots of time on your hand. I haven't been officially accepted as a patient until they assess my x-rays. I didn't want to pay for these radiographs again, so they told me it could be faxed from the last place I had them taken with written consent.

How common is it to fax dental X-rays to another place? Or do more people "normally" choose to pick up their x-rays and physically bring them over to the new place? Anyone know, I don't think they were the new digital x-rays?
You trade saving money with time. How is the U of T the same ?
Member
User avatar
Sep 18, 2008
230 posts
400 upvotes
Toronto
You can get your teeth cleaned in downtown Toronto at Affinity Lab Tech (the dental hygienists school) for $20 but it takes two visits. Those find me a dentist type local search websites never tell you about schools or special deals like that
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3447 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
Cytosol wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2012 5:27 pm
$50 is pretty decent for a cleaning if your hygienist is a monkey.

Where the hell are you getting your teeth cleaned for $50? I haven't been to the dentist in a couple years and switched to a new practice. The exam alone was $150. The scaling for just the right side of my mouth was $371, and the left side was another $300. That's just a freaking cleaning!! My teeth weren't even that bad, just a bit of plaque.

Luckily my insurance covered 90%.
Yeah thats way too much. You only need to do an exam maybe once a year but I'm not sure about that.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Arob wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 8:55 pm
You can get your teeth cleaned in downtown Toronto at Affinity Lab Tech (the dental hygienists school) for $20 but it takes two visits. Those find me a dentist type local search websites never tell you about schools or special deals like that
What about major work. I want to help someone out who needs it, doesn't have the money.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 10, 2010
941 posts
386 upvotes
Ajax, ON
What a great thread. Since is our first time with benefits my wife and I started our dentist hunt 3 weeks ago and decided to go to a dental clinic close to her work. The customer service is outstanding BUT after reading this thread I am worry this dentist is ripping us off, so we need some advice. Here was he charged for just me last week on 3 appointments:

1) Complete exam, permanent $124
Bitewings 4 films (xray) $42
Panoramic Film (xray) $58
TOTAL $ 224

2) Scaling 6 Units (Cleaning right side of the mouth) TOTAL $ 324

3) Scaling 2 Units (Cleaning left side of the mouth) TOTAL $ 108

So total on this 3 appointments is $656 and I still have to go next Wednesday for Filling etc...probably another $500, total will be around $1100 and my mouth higiene is good and the Higienist that did the cleaning say everything is good and my mouth shows I have a good cleaning habits. My benefits cover 80% and my wife's cover the other 20%, the dentist is aware of both dental plans and then I guess he is working around our plans so he can get as much as he can ? As I say, is our first time using benefits for Dental, we travel a lot so we used to go to the dentist overseas where is a lot cheaper.
Thanks in Advance.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11270 posts
1621 upvotes
Markham
ToDealHunter wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 9:35 pm
What a great thread. Since is our first time with benefits my wife and I started our dentist hunt 3 weeks ago and decided to go to a dental clinic close to her work. The customer service is outstanding BUT after reading this thread I am worry this dentist is ripping us off, so we need some advice. Here was he charged for just me last week on 3 appointments:

1) Complete exam, permanent $124
Bitewings 4 films (xray) $42
Panoramic Film (xray) $58
TOTAL $ 224

2) Scaling 6 Units (Cleaning right side of the mouth) TOTAL $ 324

3) Scaling 2 Units (Cleaning left side of the mouth) TOTAL $ 108

So total on this 3 appointments is $656 and I still have to go next Wednesday for Filling etc...probably another $500, total will be around $1100 and my mouth higiene is good and the Higienist that did the cleaning say everything is good and my mouth shows I have a good cleaning habits. My benefits cover 80% and my wife's cover the other 20%, the dentist is aware of both dental plans and then I guess he is working around our plans so he can get as much as he can ? As I say, is our first time using benefits for Dental, we travel a lot so we used to go to the dentist overseas where is a lot cheaper.
Thanks in Advance.
If they know you have 100% coverage, they will charge you as much as possible.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
RolandCouch wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 10:04 pm
If they know you have 100% coverage, they will charge you as much as possible.
Mine keeps sending me a bill, knowing that he should have stayed within the limit, gives me mail.
Newbie
Oct 14, 2008
40 posts
74 upvotes
Since dentists seem to charge more if they know you are covered, let's say you have insurance, and have the option of (a) paying the full total in advance and then asking for reimbursement for insurable portion or (b) paying only the uninsurable portion with insured amount deducted right away. If you use option (a), can you simply tell the dentist you are not covered by insurance so they charge a lesser rate, and then still apply for reimbursement for the insurable portion, or do they make a note on the receipt that you have stated you are uninsured? I currently have student insurance, but it only covers 75% so if possible I would like to get the total as low as possible which would mean less out of pocket for me.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7806 posts
1209 upvotes
Toronto
Do dentists really care if you are covered 80% or 100%? I would assume if you are covered for only 80%, they would still want to gouge you as if you had 100% coverage.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
575 upvotes
Toronto
As long as I pay $0 to minimal and the service is good I do not mind. If I have the benefits I will use them to my advantage, rather than wasting time or getting stuck with a horrible dental job.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)

Top