Beauty & Wellness

How much are you paying for dental cleaning?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2018 9:06 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
15373 posts
1228 upvotes
TOP SECRET SPAGHETTI…
What do you guys think of all the fluoride controversy?

Seems to be a topic visited and revisisted every few years.

[QUOTE]n 1981, Dean Burk, for many decades Chief Chemist at the US National Cancer Institute, testified at congressional hearings, reporting that at least 40,000 cancer deaths in 1981 were attributable to fluoride. The fluoride in half a tube of toothpaste can kill a child.[/QUOTE]

Just something I read.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12059 posts
987 upvotes
Mississauga
Even with 80% coverage, I am tired of paying for those non-sense X-rays. BS
Apr 26, 2004
492 posts
4 upvotes
Nothing covered by my health care from work, Benefits
Sandy 2600K/ Hyper 212+/ASUS P8P67 Pro MB/2 Sapphire 6950 2G in Crossfire/16Gig G.Skill RipjawsX 1600MHz/1 64G Kingston SSD/Corsair Obsidian 650D Case/5x 2TB Black WD's/ 24" SAMSUNG 245T LCD/Corsair TX750W/Windows 7 64BIT/Creative X-FI HD Titanium /Logitech G700 Mouse/Razer Black Widow
Jun 10, 2008
960 posts
84 upvotes
Love this thread... always wondered if I was getting ripped off by my dentist but was skeptical about finding another one coz they all have the incentive to rip you off based on your coverage. Great thread to do comparisons at least to some level. I went to my dentist after 2 years recently to get cleaned as well as to do some fillings. So far the charges have been
5.5 units of scaling over 2 appointments - $54/55 for the full units and $28 for the 0.5 unit - I guess this included polishing as well since I don't see a separate line item on the invoice.
2 x-rays during the first appointment at $21 each.
$29 for recall exam during 2nd appointment - although I am not sure what this means as I didn't note any special exam that was done.
About 4 fillings done so far over 2 appointments ranging between $180 and $205 for each filling.

For my scaling the first unit was covered at 100% but the remaining have been at 80%. Not sure what is the deal with that. Probably the way my insurance plan is set up. The first unit showed up as preventative and the others showed up as periodontic on my insurance claims website.

Once I get all my fillings done (100% coverage) with this place, I'll probably try other dental offices for cleaning next time to see if they bill differently for multiple units of scaling.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9675 posts
2863 upvotes
Ottawa
$237 for my most recent cleaning. I have not been to the dentist for about a year so it took a bit of time for the hygienist to get all the plaque out. $25 for fluoride treatment, gimme a break but I got 100% insurance coverage so not the end of the world.

They try to tell me to visit every 3 months but I told them to put me on a 6-month plan. That's sufficient because I do floss and brush twice a day. I may not have the best techniques but I think 3 months is simply overkill.

My dad experienced pain in his lower left tooth so I brought him in. He's a low-income senior receiving OAS and CPP so no insurance and after all the exams and treatment (20 minutes top), he got dinged $300. Tooth extraction is another $210...needless to say, we are shopping for a more affordable dentist. Unbelievable.
[removed]
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14422 posts
923 upvotes
Markham
$120... what a rip off...

those crooks will charge you more if they know you have coverage
ShadowVlican
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1199 upvotes
aGincourt
appleb wrote:
Jan 9th, 2013 10:14 am
Do dentists really care if you are covered 80% or 100%? I would assume if you are covered for only 80%, they would still want to gouge you as if you had 100% coverage.
"Don't worry, lets do the work first and worry about coverage later!"

Dentists are just as bad as mechanics :facepalm:
Jan 20, 2011
244 posts
29 upvotes
the fluoride treatment is a good indicator of what kind of rip off you are receiving, just like the price of a bottled water at a restaurant to receive what kind of mark up you are getting. $25 for a fluoride treatment? Everyone knows you can go to a supermarket and get a whole bottle of fluoride mouth wash for $5 which is the exact same thing. The reason the dentist and dental hygienist are so nice to you and ask you how you are doing and what is new is because they are trying to develop a connection with you and hope you come back to them.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
My latest dentist bill was almost $400. I'm not fully covered. There always measuring my gum line, I swear that takes up most of the time. Then the dentist finds something that could go wrong and says 'it needs to be done' my dentist has been dying to take out one of my wisdom tooth for a long time, there is nothing wrong with it so he waits for my 'just do it doc' reply. I store some of my intelligence in that tooth LOL :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
7583 posts
1204 upvotes
Ontario
Maybe detail what you mean by cleaning?
When some say cleaning, they also mean fluoride at the end, x-rays every other, visit by the Dentist afterward, etc

Also depends on the area. Here in Vaughan, $180-200 for cleaning with fluoride would be the MIN price. After insurance, I'd pay roughly $40. Every 6 months.

I don't know how you'd pay $50.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
7583 posts
1204 upvotes
Ontario
weedb0y wrote:
Jan 9th, 2013 4:14 pm
Even with 80% coverage, I am tired of paying for those non-sense X-rays. BS
So refuse.
I do. Unless they have cause for concern, I would do X-ray MIN every 3rd visit. No sooner than that.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1677 posts
169 upvotes
Canada
i paid $218.00 for dental hygenist but i get 80% benefits.......still costly
will go back to dentist for a cheaper rate
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11529 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
noNuser wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2012 4:00 pm
How much are you paying for dental cleaning? $45-50 no insurance, just pay cash

cheap?
Zero. Zip. Nada. Why? ODSP pays for everything, even the more expensive dental and medical treatment.