Health & Wellness

How much are you paying for dental cleaning?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2018 11:04 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10704 posts
310 upvotes
weedb0y wrote:
Jan 9th, 2013 4:14 pm
Even with 80% coverage, I am tired of paying for those non-sense X-rays. BS
How often do you have them done?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1440 posts
900 upvotes
2 different dentists in the same clinic

Personal & spouse = $178 incl dental xray each
Kid = $127 incl dental xray

Strange??? the dentists in that practice have same front desk personnel, same dental hygientists but individual own personal dental assistants. Spouse got a filling re-do for $78 from a different dentist whereas her regular dentist charges $120 .. maybe different techniques/materials used. I see no difference in that re-filling work
LIVE LONG and suffer ...

:arrow: PEACE :arrowl:
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11299 posts
1396 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
I was in the hunt for a new dentist. Called the top 10 dentist offices in TO/GTA based on RateMDs.com They all charge the max that the Dental Association of Ontario guidelines (at least that's what several told me) provide. Most caucasian doctors (yes, there is a difference and how they do the practice vs asian dentists) will bill the health plan the max and cash patients (no health plan) the same. Of course they want to bilk all the money they can get, I mean, who wouldnt?? Most refer to a unit cost guide for dental hygienist under dental association fee guide. They said it was $55 per unit of time. A unit is like 15 min. 2 units is usually the average for a cleaning or 30 min if the patient keeps their teeth relatively clean, flosses every day, brush 2x a day, no cavities, etc. Some charge half units if they go over the 30 min time frame, ridiculous.. smh. For first time visit, they charge for consultation fees with the dentist and anywhere from 2-4 xrays. So on average a teeth cleaning is like $110-140 for those top 10 dental offices I called. The dental consult fee on average 35-50 bucks (first visit is more, declines on subsequent visits) and xrays (anywhere from 20-50) depending on how many they take. The xrays declines in price by volume. Meaning the more you take the less per xray. Example, first one is $20, next is $15, next is $12 so on...

First visit, health plan - roughly $190-240 on average (based on my survey above)
-includes dental consult, teeth cleaning, xrays

Asian dentists charges less if cash (non-insurance plan) vs insurance plan. If you have a health plan they charge no different than the latter (then again, you dont pay for it if u have 100% coverage). Cash deals is $85, full cleaning by dental hygienist. Same price everywhere you go for asian dentist. It's true, called about 3-4 asian dental offices and same price was given. The cleaning is NO different nor is the quality than health plan patient from the same dentist or hygienist. Dental consult ranges from 20-35, xray cost varies by volume as described above usually $20 for first xray etc.. On average first visit with asian dentist is around 120-140 included (cleaning, dental consult, and xrays).

As for hygienist make sure you ask what their background is.. I hear George Brown graduates are the best. Supposedly that dental hygienist program is top rated across the country and grads are valued highly in the industry. Checked it out on GB web site - over $20k for the 2 yr program. My current dental hygienist is from GB.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7355 posts
1177 upvotes
Can I indicate I pay indicating no insurance for a lower rate, then submit the receipt to insurance for payment? I'm covered for 80% of it, but if I can pay cash @ 110 vs 220, its almost a 22$ difference.

Would my dentist find out?
Deal Addict
May 28, 2006
2389 posts
180 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Jun 15th, 2013 12:36 pm
Asian dentists charges less if cash (non-insurance plan) vs insurance plan. If you have a health plan they charge no different than the latter (then again, you dont pay for it if u have 100% coverage).
You don't pay with 80% coverage too with Asian dentists. Just came back from the dentist for regular 6 month dental cleaning. She always throws in a free laser teeth whitening session.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9804 posts
2950 upvotes
Ottawa
Psycho44 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2013 4:36 pm
You don't pay with 80% coverage too with Asian dentists. Just came back from the dentist for regular 6 month dental cleaning. She always throws in a free laser teeth whitening session.
He probably means Asian dentists are more likely to accept cash deals and will give somewhat of a discount as they don't have to pay credit card fees. Or maybe they don't want to deal with CRA, who knows :-)
[removed]
Deal Addict
May 28, 2006
2389 posts
180 upvotes
well what I meant was if you have 80% coverage they'll up the fees or services to make it similar to 100% coverage. Haven't been to an Asian dentist for a long while so don't know if they've cracked down on this or not yet. I like my current blonde dentist even though she charges me the extra 10%.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2008
1352 posts
90 upvotes
Spent $280 for x-rays and cleaning. 80% covered. Montreal.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11299 posts
1396 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
It's always better to have coverage than no coverage. Basic math. Depending on your deductible, you usually pay 20% to nothing at all. Even if the dude charges you $300 you pay nothing (100% coverage) to $60 bux (80% coverage) whereas a cash patient pays $85 upfront.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
2135 posts
83 upvotes
first time i went to Altima dental, charged almost half my paycheck for 2 visit. insurance covered 80%, 20% still alot
My current dentist does my cleaning, exam, xrays, filling, surgery... after insurance, I only pay about 20-40$
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6354 posts
2318 upvotes
Calgary
Here in Calgary they charge you by units. It's about $50 per unit and it depends on how many units it requires to clean your whole set of teeth. I have gum issues so it takes between 3 and 4 units each visit, between $175 and $200. I need to get mine cleaned once every 4 months. Fortunately I have BlueCross and it covers 80% of total dental cost with a cap to $1,500 a year.
Aug 17, 2012
57 posts
7 upvotes
Markham
My insurance covers it. I can go every 6 months :)
Dec 20, 2012
123 posts
11 upvotes
Saint Catharines
When i was covered by my mom's work insurance I had to sign the bill after cleanings and it was about $250 or so. I don't know what it is now since but probably less since I only have Indian Status covering me.
Apr 26, 2003
371 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
I pay about $350 per cleaning in Calgary every 6 months, but my insurance covers 100%. The dentist has a person on staff who massages your feet and hands during the cleaning. Sometimes they do a paraffin wax hands treatment as well.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
1979 posts
1640 upvotes
I think my dentist charges me the max. Bill is around $250 for a one hour session... the usual, cleaning, scaling, etc. 100% covered by insurance.

Dentist always makes me takes X-rays but I told him to stop recently. Don't want too much damage to the family goods when there's nothing majorly wrong with my teeth.