Beauty & Wellness

How much are you paying for dental cleaning?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2018 2:07 am
Tags:
None
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10289 posts
947 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
althetrainer wrote:
Jun 15th, 2013 7:22 pm
Here in Calgary they charge you by units. It's about $50 per unit and it depends on how many units it requires to clean your whole set of teeth. I have gum issues so it takes between 3 and 4 units each visit, between $175 and $200. I need to get mine cleaned once every 4 months. Fortunately I have BlueCross and it covers 80% of total dental cost with a cap to $1,500 a year.
May I ask what is the plan name of your coverage under blue cross?? I was checking out Great West Life Sonata Plan 3, seems the most comprehensive for health, dental, paramedical, vision, hosp. accommodation, travel, ad&d, etc. outside of a group insur. plan

3 units is typical. A unit is 15 min so avg cleaning they charge you up to 3 units or 45min in case the hygienist goes past 30 min. Under ontario dental association guidelines a unit = $55, 3 units $165 but avg is about $140. Basically a "discount" on the 3rd unit because they know the avg. patient doesnt take the entire 45 min.

3 units as follows,

1 unit cleaning
1 unit scaling
1 unit polishing
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Aug 13, 2009
4 posts
Should be around $120 - $180 for a basic cleaning in the GTA (its pretty competitive market). And depends on whether you see the dentist or a hygienist at the clinic. My dentist normally recommends I see her hygienist and it works out closer to the $120 mark mostly.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1591 posts
177 upvotes
Newmarket
my cleanings are about 15 min long, i go in every 6 months, and have an xray taken once a year
every cleaning is followed by a check up
just the cleaning is usually around $120, but 95% is covered

i've been going to the same dentist for 15 years now.......guy on yonge just north of eglinton
Aug 13, 2013
245 posts
32 upvotes
$0. I'm covered by Indian Status. I don't know how much it costs but when I was covered by by mom's insurance I had to sign the bill this one time and it was about $300 or so and that was 6 years ago.

I go every 6 months, though when I was covered by my mom's insurance I went every 4 months.

Edit. Luckily for me they started to bill Status directly because I would rather not pay and get paid back.
Banned
Jul 6, 2011
1284 posts
37 upvotes
+1.....I receive an email saying am due a checkup and cleaning, and it's done right on site
Talamasca wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2012 7:36 pm
$0. 100% work benefits ftw.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
1790 posts
469 upvotes
Edmonton
It is just an Alberta thing where you pay up front and are then reimbursed by your insurance? When I lived in BC the various forms of dental insurance I had all covered everything up front and in some cases I didn't even see a bill at all and was blissfully ignorant of how much money they were making off me.

Here, however, the few offices I've been to all charge up front - one of them submitted it automatically, at least.

Anyway, last appointment was a hair over $500 for the dentist checkup, two sets of x-rays and however many units of scaling and polishing. I would estimate just the cleaning was $200, plus $45 because I keep forgetting and saying 'yes' to the fluoride trays, which cost $45 for two foam inserts and maybe two seconds of the hygenist's time.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2006
1746 posts
195 upvotes
just brush and floss everyday to prevent calculus. That is all they are really cleaning, that calculus build up in your gums that you can't brush off because it is hard as a rock.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
2819 posts
578 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
Free.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2693 posts
233 upvotes
Markham
Mine is $160 every 4 months. I'm covered 80% from work. $60 deductable the first time of the year. I'm quite happy with my dentist/hygentist & laugh at you people who want to go cheap/dont care about your teeth.
Be Happy
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
1072 posts
76 upvotes
$250 for checkup and cleaning. I thought everyone was charged a standard rate.
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10289 posts
947 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
fboybcb wrote:
Apr 7th, 2014 4:38 pm
Free.
Because you have an insurance plan? Not really free at all since you paid the premiums ahead of time whether private or group insurance plan at work.
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10289 posts
947 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
freeonboard wrote:
Apr 8th, 2014 4:44 am
$250 for checkup and cleaning. I thought everyone was charged a standard rate.
LOL, NOPE! The fee guidelines are the MINIMUM the dentist can charge, not the maximum. It's not written in stone meaning every dentist HAS to abide by the fee guidelines. It's not a legal requirement. Many charge cheaper to get more patients and for lower income patients who have no insurance plans. Hence, cash rates versus insurance rates. They have 2 sets of prices.

Cash rate for my dentist is $85 for full cleaning. Has 4 dental hygienists. All grads from George Brown dental program which is considered the top in the country (and costs $40k for 2 yr program - ouch!!). I did a survey based on rateMDS top dentists in TO when searching for a new dentist and the average cost with insurance coverage ranges from $140 - $176 level on the low side; high side $210 - $280. More proof you dont get what you pay for in terms of medical services in Canada. Once they know you have insurance they bilk the plan to the maximum. They figure - ur not paying, so why not?? If one pays $85 cash for the same or better service than someone else paying $250 via insurance, figure it out. Just lines the dentists' pockets. You already paid the premiums ahead of time so it's not like the coverage is free. Most peeps forget that.

Simple calc. cash rate $85 x 2 cleanings/annum = $170
Your insurance rate $250 x 2 cleanings/annum = $500

Assume you pay $50 premium deducted bi-weekly paycheck for group ins. medical benefit = $1300/annum

$1300 - $170 cash rate = $1130 MORE (assuming you have no other work done and plan not used for any other med services).

Dentist profits an extra $330 ($500-$170).
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2006
1095 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth wrote:
Apr 8th, 2014 6:34 am
Because you have an insurance plan? Not really free at all since you paid the premiums ahead of time whether private or group insurance plan at work.
What's up with your hatred for dentists? Do you expect dentists (doctor of dental surgery) to get paid a minimum wage or something?
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10289 posts
947 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
kasianman wrote:
Apr 8th, 2014 7:53 am
What's up with your hatred for dentists? Do you expect dentists (doctor of dental surgery) to get paid a minimum wage or something?
Why... truth hurts?? :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
My husband went just for a cleaning 2 weeks ago - 4 units - done by a dental hygienist (dentist doesn't work on Fridays so we know that she didn't check his teeth). Total cost was $220 - so $55 per unit. New plan covers 90% of cost based on a revolving annual 12 units. Recalls are every 9 months. This is his new plan - have yet to see a booklet. I do know that maximum dental for year cannot exceed $2,500. Toronto - just south of Yonge/Eglinton.